Sponsored

Return to stock rear springs, what rear spacer do I need for 2 inch mopar lift, max tow

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
You’re going to need a different shock. Order a set of adjustable Ranchos. 9000XLs. This will address your issues. They are inexpensive and work very well depending on your load. The factory springs and a spacer won’t fix your issue. Also, if you didn’t loosen your control arms in the rear when you installed your lift, do that and retorque them. I would try that first. Also drop your pressure down to about 28/30. 36 is way too high for an E. That tire has plenty of load carrying for your JT at 28 psi.
If those Ranchos still have the plastic dial adjuster, hard pass. Anecdotal evidence incoming:

I had them on my 2 door JK. Sheared the plastic knobs off on rocks for both the rear shocks, and then 3/4 blew out after a day of some minor washboarding. If you never go offroad, and need mild-duty shocks, they're probably fine. But I was amazed at how quickly, and how much, seemed to fail on them.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
If those Ranchos still have the plastic dial adjuster, hard pass. Anecdotal evidence incoming:

I had them on my 2 door JK. Sheared the plastic knobs off on rocks for both the rear shocks, and then 3/4 blew out after a day of some minor washboarding. If you never go offroad, and need mild-duty shocks, they're probably fine. But I was amazed at how quickly, and how much, seemed to fail on them.
I have used them for years. Wheeling Holy Cross to Moab and never an issue except one broken adjuster. They have a lifetime warranty and sent out an entire new shock that same day. This is not in any way an issue. Try that with a factory Fox shock.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I have used them for years. Wheeling Holy Cross to Moab and never an issue except one broken adjuster. They have a lifetime warranty and sent out an entire new shock that same day. This is not in any way an issue. Try that with a factory Fox shock.
Ironically I upgraded mine to Fox at the time, and they did splendidly. Like I said, for mild/light duty, probably fine. But anything more than that, look upmarket.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
Ironically I upgraded mine to Fox at the time, and they did splendidly. Like I said, for mild/light duty, probably fine. But anything more than that, look upmarket.
I gotcha. But if your only issue was an adjuster that’s a silly issue. Get a whole new shock with much better adjustability than a regular off the shelf fox. Been there done that. Try sending back a leaking Fox. :CWL:Most of my wheeling is hard on crap. Never an issue. For His need the Rancho will work splendidly. For most it would.

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have that with max tow spring, if there is something I can measure that would help you let me know.
What did it do for the ride? Why did you add, heavy rear end?? Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’re going to need a different shock. Order a set of adjustable Ranchos. 9000XLs. This will address your issues. They are inexpensive and work very well depending on your load. The factory springs and a spacer won’t fix your issue.

Also, if you didn’t loosen your control arms in the rear when you installed your lift, do that and retorque them. I would try that first. If you didn’t, they will be in a bind and create a really stiff ride.
Also drop your pressure down to about 28/30. 36 is way too high for an E. That tire has plenty of load carrying for your JT at 28 psi.
I have done a loose and re-torques
on 26 bolt sets twice, recently when I added the front Geometry correction brackets. I will play w air pressure. I will review the 9000XLs. Did you just use them in the rear??

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of ironic in a way - max tow rear springs made my truck rougher and stiffer than the stock Overland springs were. I wish I could keep the load-carrying ability of the max tow (much much less sag with a load in the back) and keep the smooth ride but can't have both.
It carries full payload very well - but rides like my old Ford did.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
What did it do for the ride? Why did you add, heavy rear end?? Thanks!
I have nothing to compare it to, I have only run the max tow springs, with the Daystar .75" spacer it rides just like stock. I added the spacer to bring the rear up a little, I have a 1.5" spacer in the front with 340 and 343 springs.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Diesel
I have done a loose and re-torques
on 26 bolt sets twice, recently when I added the front Geometry correction brackets. I will play w air pressure. I will review the 9000XLs. Did you just use them in the rear??
No. I run them all around. The adjustability is great. I know it’s tough to think about swapping out the foxes but they are not a one size fits all.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I run 31-ish in my C rated 315/70R17's. Rides like a concrete mixer when the "service techs" who change the oil and rotate the tires put 40+ PSI in. I've used my SpeedFlate to fix things several times now!

34-36. Thanks.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Ran the 9000's on my old Ranger for five years, it was $$$$ to go to Kings and get an actual upgrade, for the money those Ranchos are *real* hard to beat.

Refrigerator vertical in the bed? CRANK THE SHOCKS! Made a huge difference.

No. I run them all around. The adjustability is great. I know it’s tough to think about swapping out the foxes but they are not a one size fits all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think part of the harsh ride with my truck is the max tow springs, yes, but also I'm running Rubicon Fox take-off shocks with those springs.
Rubicon springs up front, max tow on the rear, Rubicon fox shocks all the way around and it's not only a less "plush" ride than it was, it bounces just pulling out of the garage and that 1" drop that blocks water from getting into the garage in our heavy rains. Tracks, pulling out of garage, the rear of the truck oscillates up and down at least 2 or 3 times. Best I can figure - shocks........... if I were diagnosing a customer car with that bounce I'd tell them their shocks were wearing out.

OP
OP
Uparms

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I run 31-ish in my C rated 315/70R17's. Rides like a concrete mixer when the "service techs" who change the oil and rotate the tires put 40+ PSI in. I've used my SpeedFlate to fix things several times now!
Even with that C rated. I will try a new pressure tomorrow after AM hunt.

EpsilonOrigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I think part of the harsh ride with my truck is the max tow springs, yes, but also I'm running Rubicon Fox take-off shocks with those springs.
Rubicon springs up front, max tow on the rear, Rubicon fox shocks all the way around and it's not only a less "plush" ride than it was, it bounces just pulling out of the garage and that 1" drop that blocks water from getting into the garage in our heavy rains. Tracks, pulling out of garage, the rear of the truck oscillates up and down at least 2 or 3 times. Best I can figure - shocks........... if I were diagnosing a customer car with that bounce I'd tell them their shocks were wearing out.
I’m having the exact same issue and have the same setup on my max tow. Did you ever get new shocks? Did it help?
Sponsored