Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
When the article starts with dismissing the ZR2 outright, it really loses credibility. It brings a front locker AND fancy go-fast suspension, and for way less, if you want an automatic and a roof (which isn’t $2295).
Given the tires that come on the TRD Pro (which are still such a cop-out) the Mojave should get a full grade better in stock form.

jtim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon
He also says the Tacoma hasn't been redesigned since '05... It was all new in '16. Not a very well researched article. I would have liked seeing the Bison included in the comparison as well.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
When the article starts with dismissing the ZR2 outright, it really loses credibility. It brings a front locker AND fancy go-fast suspension, and for way less, if you want an automatic and a roof (which isn’t $2295).
Given the tires that come on the TRD Pro (which are still such a cop-out) the Mojave should get a full grade better in stock form.
Yeah, that doesn’t even make any sense. The ZR2 is kind of a combination of the TRD Pro and the Mohave. I guess they couldn’t get their hands on a press car.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
He also says the Tacoma hasn't been redesigned since '05... It was all new in '16. Not a very well researched article. I would have liked seeing the Bison included in the comparison as well.
It was kinda new in 2016. Same frame and front axle setup with just a slightly taller suspension. Cab was the same but has a slightly different look from door restyling. Same rear axle except for the MT and locker variants. New engine and transmissions but same transfer case.

So it was more a heavy facelift more than a redesign. I think Toyota didn't want to put too much into it because the new platform is rumored to be a Tunda/Tacoma shared design like the Titan/Frontier and the Tacoma is likely to see a shortened lifecycle for the 3G with all the competition that has roared in these past few years.

Sponsored

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
I own the 2019 TRD Pro Tacoma and I can tell you, it sounds like Toyota paid these guys to write this article. I am so NOT impressed by the Tacoma after 13 months of off-roading/highway driving across the states. I have used the Tacoma in the Colorado Rockies, Big Bend territory in Texas, Moab in Utah, and the Southern California desert. I am so not in love with it long-term, that I am jumping back to a Jeep, specifically a Gladiator.

Last edited:

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the best picture of the lot, that fella's grin says it all.

Jeep Gladiator Review: 2020 Gladiator Mojave Takes On Tacoma TRD Pro in Gravel Pit Showdown bestpic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I drive a 2017 Taco Prerunner (4cyl. 2wd) for work everyday (company-issued), and it’s a POFS. I wouldn’t give them $500 for this truck.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I drive a 2017 Taco Prerunner (4cyl. 2wd) for work everyday (company-issued), and it’s a POFS. I wouldn’t give them $500 for this truck.
Dropping the manual 4 cylinder was the worst thing they ever did for that truck. My 2007 was a 2.7L single cab with a 5MT and it's probably the one truck I wish I never lost. I used to load the piss out of that thing and it never complained and it was so damn light that it was a blast in the dunes.

Now the smallest is the access cab so it's a much heavier truck (I'll be that prerunner weighs more than my 4x4 did) with the same terrible 6AT as the V6 that even the 4.30 rear end can't make usable. Honestly in 2020, there's a reason almost nothing is offered with a naturally-aspirated I4 anymore and as bulletproof as the 2.7L is, it just doesn't work in a truck with only two pedals.
Sponsored