RLD designs pic request

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
I don't understand this topper. $3,300 for a standard topper. No mounting points for rotopax, max trax, hi lift. No pictures of the kitchen upgrade, seems like a lot of money and weight for a camper shell.
money - maybe, depends on your needs / wants. Weight - less than fiberglass, so a positive vs. Leer / ARE
Sponsored

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
I don't understand this topper. $3,300 for a standard topper. No mounting points for rotopax, max trax, hi lift. No pictures of the kitchen upgrade, seems like a lot of money and weight for a camper shell.
I think you're missing the point of a canopy. The idea is secured, weather-resistant storage in the bed of the truck. If you want to hang a bunch of shit off the back of your truck, get a bed rack or get creative and find ways to mount it. It's not hard to add framing to this or to mount things through the body. That's the beauty of metal construction.

Honestly, this is a pretty standard up-market canopy. The RLD is ~160lbs vs ~200 for a fiberglass ARE CX (quoted from ARE). The only one lighter I know of is Alu-Cab which is 140-150lbs. This one can hold the most weight of the three, surpassing even the rating of the ARE CX HD which adds another 40lbs in its frame. Pricing is $3,500 for the Alu-Cab, $3,300 for RLD, and I was quoted $2,700 for a CX with aluminum side doors and 2-sided locks.

This is also a new product so they probably don't have production shots of all the options yet. If you look at the Tacoma model, they have everything shown because that was their original foray into the US market and they built their show truck around it.

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
So RLD USA is saying the estimated arrival date is now Apr 3rd due to the coronavirus.... I wonder if they have some Gen1 shells lying around that we can at least use until the new ones come in....

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
So RLD USA is saying the estimated arrival date is now Apr 3rd due to the coronavirus.... I wonder if they have some Gen1 shells lying around that we can at least use until the new ones come in....
This is exactly why I didn't pull the trigger with Rhino...they have some that will sync up with a road trip I was planning in May but there is no guarantee that it nor I will be there on that timeframe if this turns worse.

Spartan21

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 03TJ
I’ve had no update so I’m going off of what you said. Going to be a while I’m sure.

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I have the GEN 1 and while I do not like the look that much I think the functionality is great. The topper meets all my needs quite well and is working great for me. I have no reason to trade it in for a GEN 2, as doing so is just too much hassle for no substantive gain in my opinion.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think you can put 700#s dynamic load on a “standard topper” nor do most have three opening doors so you don’t have to crawl over or completely unload to get to something in the front of the bed. I’m just saying.

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
I don’t think you can put 700#s dynamic load on a “standard topper” nor do most have three opening doors so you don’t have to crawl over or completely unload to get to something in the front of the bed. I’m just saying.
I still think the RLD is the best option out there at the moment. RSI Smartcap looks to have copied RLD (unless if it is the same company). I'm still excited for mine but man the wait is killing me

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
You can get aluminum windoors on the A.R.E. CX cap but I got quoted $2700 for it. Can't say that makes sense unless you really don't like the look of an aluminum/stainless cap and you're still using a cap that can't hold much weight.

Also keep in mind 700# dynamic is on road... off road I'd be much more conservative.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
You can get aluminum windoors on the A.R.E. CX cap but I got quoted $2700 for it. Can't say that makes sense unless you really don't like the look of an aluminum/stainless cap and you're still using a cap that can't hold much weight.

Also keep in mind 700# dynamic is on road... off road I'd be much more conservative.
Not that I’m planning on putting 700#s up there, but did you read that was an on road rating or is that your recommendation?

Sponsored

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
I’m trading my Gen 1 in for a Gen 2 when and if they ever arrive. But I don’t know if they have plans for it. It’s black with white doors and opening windows in the doors.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Don't think we'll know anything until the first week in April whether the container ship makes it to port or not...

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered end of February, I did just try calling for any updates knowing it won’t be anytime soon but no answer. Also no return on the email I sent last Saturday
Tom is not always quick to respond but he always does. I don’t think he’ll know anything for a week or two, at least.

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Tom is not always quick to respond but he always does. I don’t think he’ll know anything for a week or two, at least.
Just spoke to him yesterday, he's chasing the broker for updates on the containers - the China ports are a mess, ships stacked up - hopefully we see movement this week
Sponsored