Sponsored

ROCK SLIDE ENGINEERING 3RD GEN STEP SLIDER KIT or other alternatives.

LBL Chief

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lamhbatalann.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel Red
Occupation
Martial arts instructor
Just ordered my JTR and I am looking at ways to help my wife get in when it arrives. She has trouble getting her foot up to just a regular stair tread height. When we have traveled and rented a Wrangler, I would bring two collapsing steps of different heights and she was able to climb up and in. The RSE step slider drops down the most and even though it's expensive, it would be nice to have! Does anyone have other suggestions? Anyone in the SoCal area have this installed and would be willing to meet up to make sure it would work for her?
Sponsored

robburns76

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S with Max tow
I love my RSE steps. I have the Gen 2 and the family loves them. I did get the light kit with mine initially and since I run doorless most of the summer I have since purchased the buttons to use when the doors are off.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Gen 2 or the slightly improved Gen 3 RSE steps are the way to go. Get the cheapest version.
No other brand is as good.
Install yourself and save quit a bit of dollars.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have the RSE Gen 2 with Armor for the last 3 years now. I really like them. The only negative is that my older version came with "gas shocks" for retraction and those eventually wear out, and the step does not retract as well. RSE now has a retrofit for the gas shock with a "spring" on older models, and the new models have the spring. This is the way to go. If you get used, replace the gas shock with the new spring setup before you install it. It is an easy upgrade. I also highly recommend that you buy the extra armor for the steps, ie. if you will 4wheel "badge of honor" type trails, - with rocks, boulders, etc.... . Without the armor, the steps will dent on big rock hits, and could effect deployment of the steps.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
RSE gen 3 for the win. They’re fantastic. Some alternatives are ok, but not this good. Use silicone spray occasionally on the springs and hinges and they’ll never fail you. Plus one for the light kit. Check with Todd at Deutsch Offroad in AZ. He was great to work with and I haven’t seen better prices.

Edit: I put them on when my kids were 4 and 5 and they could get in unassisted.

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
We love our RSE Gen 2's other than the gas shock gets weak when the temps drop below freezing. Gen 3's look a bit better, have the spring, and are a touch easier to install than the Gen 2's.

My wife is short and generally complains everytime I make the Jeep taller. It's now on 3" lift and 38's without a single complaint from her!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
We love our RSE Gen 2's other than the gas shock gets weak when the temps drop below freezing. Gen 3's look a bit better, have the spring, and are a touch easier to install than the Gen 2's.

My wife is short and generally complains everytime I make the Jeep taller. It's now on 3" lift and 38's without a single complaint from her!
Note: You can buy the "Spring kit" to retrofit your Gen 2 sliders and get rid of the gas shock WITHOUT taking the sliders off. All you have to do is take off the step and retract the arms. RSE gives you 2 tools which are required to make the replacement easy. The spring retrofit kit is like $95 for both sides, so, you only need one kit.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Note: You can buy the "Spring kit" to retrofit your Gen 2 sliders and get rid of the gas shock WITHOUT taking the sliders off. All you have to do is take off the step and retract the arms. RSE gives you 2 tools which are required to make the replacement easy. The spring retrofit kit is like $95 for both sides, so, you only need one kit.
Yes, I saw that and it's on the list for when I have nothing to do and feel like getting irritated! :)

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I have the RSE Gen 2 with Armor for the last 3 years now. I really like them. The only negative is that my older version came with "gas shocks" for retraction and those eventually wear out, and the step does not retract as well. RSE now has a retrofit for the gas shock with a "spring" on older models, and the new models have the spring. This is the way to go. If you get used, replace the gas shock with the new spring setup before you install it. It is an easy upgrade. I also highly recommend that you buy the extra armor for the steps, ie. if you will 4wheel "badge of honor" type trails, - with rocks, boulders, etc.... . Without the armor, the steps will dent on big rock hits, and could effect deployment of the steps.
You may have just changed my life. I just replaced the shocks on both my steps. I'll ask them about this fix when I have to do it again.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You may have just changed my life. I just replaced the shocks on both my steps. I'll ask them about this fix when I have to do it again.
lol... I have the additional Armor on my RSE sliders, so, my sliders are super heavy. Mine have been banged around a lot, so, I use Scaffolding to service them myself. I just rebuilt the passenger side (old rebuild kit I had in the garage with a gas shock); and I just found out about the spring upgrade, so, I did that on the drivers side without taking off the sliders.
For the Scaffolding, get 4 jack stands and two 4 foot 2x4s and use duck tape to secure them to the jack stands. You do not have to loosen the big body bolts, only loosen the bolts that hook up to the body mounts. Adjust the scaffolding to the perfect height and slide the sliders out. Get a stool and sit between the steps and the truck. This will give you the right orientation to work on the rebuild kit, ie. motor, arms, etc... You will easily be able to move the sliders closer and farther from the truck so, you can hook them up electrically and test them before remounting... You can also tilt the sliders on the side, so, it is easier to work on them. With the scafolding at the right height, it is much, much, much easier to slide the sliders on and off, test them, and rebuild them. Here is a pic.

Jeep Gladiator ROCK SLIDE ENGINEERING 3RD GEN STEP SLIDER KIT or other alternatives. mNrBr

u7vSFr.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
lol... I have the additional Armor on my RSE sliders, so, my sliders are super heavy. Mine have been banged around a lot, so, I use Scaffolding to service them myself. I just rebuilt the passenger side (old rebuild kit I had in the garage with a gas shock); and I just found out about the spring upgrade, so, I did that on the drivers side without taking off the sliders.
For the Scaffolding, get 4 jack stands and two 4 foot 2x4s and use duck tape to secure them to the jack stands. You do not have to loosen the big body bolts, only loosen the bolts that hook up to the body mounts. Adjust the scaffolding to the perfect height and slide the sliders out. Get a stool and sit between the steps and the truck. This will give you the right orientation to work on the rebuild kit, ie. motor, arms, etc... You will easily be able to move the sliders closer and farther from the truck so, you can hook them up electrically and test them before remounting... You can also tilt the sliders on the side, so, it is easier to work on them. With the scafolding at the right height, it is much, much, much easier to slide the sliders on and off, test them, and rebuild them. Here is a pic.

Jeep Gladiator ROCK SLIDE ENGINEERING 3RD GEN STEP SLIDER KIT or other alternatives. u7vSFr
I also have the extra armor. My friend and I just man handled them off. Wasn't super fun. Your idea is much better.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've been using an ATV jack since I work alone an have done a few install for clients where no scratches are acceptable.
Sponsored