First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 23 GCL, 15 Cherokee TH
Occupation
Construction
Can you share more about how you keep dust out? My biggest gripe with my Leer on my Gen 1 Tundra is that dust and water work their way in. I've reduced it greatly through copious amounts of strategically place foam, but am curious to see how you all do it. You mention that it is easy to take on and off, in my case that would tear up the foam seal and make a mess that had to be redone each removal and install. Do you use a different material?

This cap definitely has peaked my interest. Thanks!

Any issues with shipping on the US side in terms of fees or taxes?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
let me rephrase my question, is there a mount to attach the cap to the rail system instead of clamps?
Not at this time. The clamps we provide are what we recommend you use to mount the cap to the Gladiator.

OP
OP
SmartCap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
Can you share more about how you keep dust out? My biggest gripe with my Leer on my Gen 1 Tundra is that dust and water work their way in. I've reduced it greatly through copious amounts of strategically place foam, but am curious to see how you all do it. You mention that it is easy to take on and off, in my case that would tear up the foam seal and make a mess that had to be redone each removal and install. Do you use a different material?

This cap definitely has peaked my interest. Thanks!

Thanks for your questions and your kind words. Below is our response.

Can you share more about how you keep dust out?
As a vehicle travels down the road, it creates a vacuum around the back of the truck that sucks dust and water into the bed. To combat that, we engineered in a Positive Pressure Air Vent (patent pending) that filters fresh air into the cap at a greater velocity than that vacuum effect is capable of sucking air in. In effect, this pressurizes the cap keeping road dust and water out of the bed, rather than all over your stuff. See the attached photos of the Positive Pressure Air Vent. The disassembled photo shows you the filtering system we have engineered into the SmartCap to keep dust out.

Is the SmartCap water-tight?
When a SmartCap EVO is properly assembled and installed, it will be water-tight. Unfortunately (and as you are well aware), we can't say the same about truck beds. In most cases, when water is leaking in through the truck bed it is coming in due to uneven surfaces between the bulkhead (front panel) and the sides of the bed. To combat this, we provide a foam strip for you to apply to fill the gap due to those height differences. Finally, as mentioned above, the Positive Pressure Air Vent also helps keep the water outside the bed by pressurizing the enclosed space to prevent water from being sucked in.

Do you use a different material that allows for easy removal of the SmartCap?
Yes, we supply an automotive-grade rubber bulb gasket that, when cared for (meaning you don't drag the cap over the bed rails or on the ground), allows you to remove and install the cap over and over again.

No problems whatsoever with shipping in the continental U.S. If you have the SmartCap shipped to an authorized dealer the shipping is free. If you have it shipped to your home there is a nominal shipping fee. Taxes will apply based on the state you are in.

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment smartCap-positive-pressure-vent_4

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment smartCap-positive-pressure-vent_6

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
As a vehicle travels down the road, it creates a vacuum around the back of the truck that sucks dust and water into the bed. To combat that, we engineered in a Positive Pressure Air Vent that filters fresh air into the cap at a greater velocity than that vacuum effect is capable of sucking air in. In effect, this pressurizes the cap keeping road dust and water out of the bed, rather than all over your stuff. See the attached photos of the Positive Pressure Air Vent. The disassembled photo shows you the filtering system we have engineered into the SmartCap to keep dust out.
SMART! I have to engineer somthing like this for myself since yours looks to be integrated and not some bolt on option.

Rottwheeler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1974 IH Scout II, 1946 CJ-2A.
Where is this product manufactured?

Sponsored

cgoodwin0990

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Adventure Education Programs Director
If you scroll through this thread you will see some renderings of what the cap looks like on a Gladiator without a roof or doors. Sometime over the next few weeks, we are hoping to take actual photos of a Gladiator in that configuration. The weight capacity is 330lbs when moving and 770lbs static.
I could've been more clear - can you remove the windows from the cap to make the cap open air as well?

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction

As a vehicle travels down the road, it creates a vacuum around the back of the truck that sucks dust and water into the bed. To combat that, we engineered in a Positive Pressure Air Vent (patent pending) that filters fresh air into the cap at a greater velocity than that vacuum effect is capable of sucking air in. In effect, this pressurizes the cap keeping road dust and water out of the bed, rather than all over your stuff. See the attached photos of the Positive Pressure Air Vent. The disassembled photo shows you the filtering system we have engineered into the SmartCap to keep dust out.

When a SmartCap EVO is properly assembled and installed, it will be water-tight. Unfortunately (and as you are well aware), we can't say the same about truck beds. In most cases, when water is leaking in through the truck bed it is coming in due to uneven surfaces between the bulkhead (front panel) and the sides of the bed. To combat this, we provide a foam strip for you to apply to fill the gap due to those height differences. Finally, as mentioned above, the Positive Pressure Air Vent also helps keep the water outside the bed by pressurizing the enclosed space to prevent water from being sucked in.

Yes, we supply an automotive-grade rubber bulb gasket that, when cared for (meaning you don't drag the cap over the bed rails or on the ground), allows you to remove and install the cap over and over again.

No problems whatsoever with shipping in the continental U.S. If you have the SmartCap shipped to an authorized dealer the shipping is free. If you have it shipped to your home there is a nominal shipping fee. Taxes will apply based on the state you are in.
Thank you! That helps! Appreciate the info!

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

Jeep Gladiator RSi SmartCap EVO Gladiator Fitment smartCap-positive-pressure-vent_6

That air vent looks like a convenient way to run wires for roof rack mounted lights :idea:.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
OOOOOH, so you DID start your own thread . . .

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
As the COVID restrictions begin to soften, we are hoping in the next few weeks to do fitment of the SmartCap with a soft top. At that point, we will also capture some photos with the top and doors off. However, until then we have a rendering that was pulled from a dealers configurator that can give you a general feel for how that looks.

This is awesome! I've been wondering how the Gladiator might look with the RSi canopy with the doors and roof removed...the ability to go topless is one of the big draws of the Gladiator and I was worried that using a canopy might not lend itself well to using that feature...but this looks great in my opinion!

This is by FAR the best looking, best designed, most capable canopy offered at this point. I am also really impressed with the level of interaction RSi has had so far with answering people's questions and communicating...makes me even more confident in the quality of the product.

I will 100% be ordering one as soon as they are available!

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
What does it weigh? can 1 or 2 people install it on a truck?

AKID_RBM

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
They have a video of the install on their YouTube page. They recommended 2 guys to build it, 4 to install (but I could see two stronger guys doing it ok). Just 4 helps you stabilize it better.

I like the rack they offer than swings down (SmartRack). Wish they had a video on that!

SavageCoffeeTea

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the JT diesel
Guys,

Found this video with some information on the kitchen. I am sure there will be some differences for the US version but I don’t understand why using clamps in the US when the guys states they are using brackets instead because they had some issues with “tubs” cracking.

Don’t get me wrong, one of the best looking caps around and evan their tray/canopy looks great. I saw some color matched on IG.

Here is the video:

RSI Smart Canopy Australia

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Guys,

Found this video with some information on the kitchen. I am sure there will be some differences for the US version but I don’t understand why using clamps in the US when the guys states they are using brackets instead because they had some issues with “tubs” cracking.

Don’t get me wrong, one of the best looking caps around and evan their tray/canopy looks great. I saw some color matched on IG.

Here is the video:

RSI Smart Canopy Australia
I think the ranger bed must be a lot different than the Gladiator. There aren't really any bolt holes to work with in our platform. But I could be wrong!

But those clamps look really robust and high quality to me. Much better than some clamps I've seen out there.
Sponsored