Sponsored

RSI Smartcap

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How hard or easy is it to remove? I want to transition between using it and allowing for more industrial use of the bed

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
How hard or easy is it to remove? I want to transition between using it and allowing for more industrial use of the bed
I made a lift out of a Harbor Freight engine hoist and a ten foot piece of unistrut. I just use a recovery strap attached to the roof rack on top of the SmartCap, and it makes installation and removal an easy one man job.

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
A couple years ago I bought a Racor Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift on Amazon primarily to lift my JLU roof off. Since it has a 250lb capacity it will lift the SmartCap by the roof rack (I installed a Frontrunner Slimline II) as well. Just another option for you to consider, there are several others out there that are not super expensive but allow you to remove the cap without 3-4 others helping.
The nice part about this type is I can put camping gear or some jeep stuff up there when not lifting the roof or SmartCap. Triple purpose!

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Wanted to buy one, then looking at the homepage stumbled on their sema bed replacement for the JT. Now I am in deep trouble.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
On the topic of these needing constant maintenance, is this typical of all canopies/caps (such as alu cab contour)?

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Thanks. As I’m in no rush, I may give it some time to see if they drop an updated version that requires less maintenance. Sounds like they’re pretty backed up on orders though .
Tbh, sorry the comment before was me -beer, not a good place to start; the RSI seems worth it and the maintenance just ensures safe continued operations.
I have had some caps (fibre glass) that do not require maintenance, but if they had I would have discovered the cracks I put in overloading it sooner and not been a sorry ass driving from Johannesburg to Lusaka with parts that due to the cracks and water ingress were ruined.

I would consider it a trade off

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. As I’m in no rush, I may give it some time to see if they drop an updated version that requires less maintenance. Sounds like they’re pretty backed up on orders though .
What do you mean by maintenance?

I've had mine for 8 months and I haven't done anything so far other than spraying silicone into the locks.

Am I missing something??

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What do you mean by maintenance?

I've had mine for 8 months and I haven't done anything so far other than spraying silicone into the locks.

Am I missing something??
Prob retightening bolts since it’s modular

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Prob retightening bolts since it’s modular
Yup this. But I don’t understand that. “Because it’s modular”. Is the Ali cab contour not? I haven’t read about needing to tighten bolts on that.

Not Trying to knock on RSI because the overall reviews seems solid but I’m in early stage prep trying to decide if I want a canopy or rack and if canopy, Smartcap or Alu cab

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yup this. But I don’t understand that. “Because it’s modular”. Is the Ali cab contour not? I haven’t read about needing to tighten bolts on that.

Not Trying to knock on RSI because the overall reviews seems solid but I’m in early stage prep trying to decide if I want a canopy or rack and if canopy, Smartcap or Alu cab
Yeah the contour canopy is one piece. I reached out to rsi the other day to see if they would ever make a one piece and said no theirs would always be modular. This way if you damage something on the trail you can replace that piece. I like the fact that alu cab is one piece and has that mix of solid doors on the sides and smaller windows vs the rsi’s sport model entire side doors being glass. I can’t decide between the two of what I want. But to me the rsi looks better. Pros and cons to both.
Sponsored