RSI Smartcap

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
I tried to get in on the Gladiator pre order, what a snafu.. I was not contacted by a dealer after submitting the order but was contacted by an RSI rep a week later to be sure someone had contacted me. He then had someone contact me from Leonard that wanted a 50% deposit vs the as advertised by RSI $100 deposit to place the order. So, I said no and contacted the RSI rep about it and have yet to hear back..
At this point I’m thinking the RLD cap is a better route, I’m not confident that RSI has their N.A. Operations figured out enough to put my money down with them at this point.
Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I tried to get in on the Gladiator pre order, what a snafu.. I was not contacted by a dealer after submitting the order but was contacted by an RSI rep a week later to be sure someone had contacted me. He then had someone contact me from Leonard that wanted a 50% deposit vs the as advertised by RSI $100 deposit to place the order. So, I said no and contacted the RSI rep about it and have yet to hear back..
At this point I’m thinking the RLD cap is a better route, I’m not confident that RSI has their N.A. Operations figured out enough to put my money down with them at this point.
I have had a similar experience. I submitted my information to RSI and never got a call from a vendor. I contacted RSI directly and then a couple days later I got a call from a local vendor. The vendor told me they have no pricing information for the SmartCap and that the RSI website was down so they could not take an order. They told me they'd call me back in a day or two with an update.

Flash forward to now, over a week later, and I have not gotten a call back from the vendor. RSI reached out again to see if I got my order in OK, and I told them about the frustrating experience so far.

It does seem like there is a big disconnect between RSI and the vendors here in the US.

I hope it gets straightened out soon because I'm not wanting to wait forever to get a topper for my Jeep, and these logistical issues aren't very promising.

radioinstl

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Gladiator
My dealings with ALU-CAB and OK4WD have been great, quick accurate communications.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
So I have an update regarding RSI.

After emailing with Jake with RSI, I received a call from Rhino Linings here in Colorado. After a couple of phone calls and communication with RSI, I was able to get everything worked out.

I have placed my order for the SmartCap with no deposit required and free shipping to the Rhino Linings location. From there I can either take it home and put it together/install it myself or I can pay a little to Rhino Linings to assist with installation.

After the initial rocky start, I am overall pleased with my interactions. RSI themselves have been fantastic, and after some initial confusion and a little communication, the distributer I am working with has been great as well. This is a new product and new company for North America, so it makes that things might take a little time to get squared away this early on. I will be one of the very first to have an RSI Smartcap and I am excited to see the product in action!

I still think it is the best looking, best value topper available thus for for the Gladiator and offers the best functionality for what I am looking to do...hoping that this is proven to be the case!

To anyone having difficulty with vendors, I encourage you to stick with it and contact RSI directly. They have been very responsive and fantastic and ended up getting me connected with a responsive vendor and also worked with the vendor directly to make sure things were done correctly. Excellent customer service on their end and its not their fault that some vendors don't have their crap together.

Last edited:

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
First, I want to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with our pre-order process. We take our customer service extremely seriously, and your post today has triggered process changes.

When we launched the program a few weeks ago, we were overwhelmed with the response we received. Initially, our process connected a local SmartCap dealer directly to the customer without RSi's involvement. However, we began to hear some people were waiting days before they heard from a dealer. Our sales team got involved and started contacting customers as well as their local dealers. This step sped up the process, provided customers with the ability to speak directly with our RSi team, and in most cases worked very well.

Until your post today, we were unaware some dealers were requiring a lot more than a $100 to place a pre-order. Based on that, the head of our North American division, our sales team, and our marketing team, met and worked to improve the customer experience. It is essential to point out that while we cannot control the amount that dealers (which are independent of RSi) require to process an order, we can try and influence it. We are now going to ensure that a dealer is agreeable to the $100 deposit before we connect them with the customer.

We are 100% committed to ensuring excellent customer service and are following up with each person placing a pre-order. We genuinely do apologize and hope that we can regain your trust and provide you with a much better experience.

Sponsored

SavageCoffeeTea

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the JT diesel
First, I want to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced with our pre-order process. We take our customer service extremely seriously, and your post today has triggered process changes.

When we launched the program a few weeks ago, we were overwhelmed with the response we received. Initially, our process connected a local SmartCap dealer directly to the customer without RSi's involvement. However, we began to hear some people were waiting days before they heard from a dealer. Our sales team got involved and started contacting customers as well as their local dealers. This step sped up the process, provided customers with the ability to speak directly with our RSi team, and in most cases worked very well.

Until your post today, we were unaware some dealers were requiring a lot more than a $100 to place a pre-order. Based on that, the head of our North American division, our sales team, and our marketing team, met and worked to improve the customer experience. It is essential to point out that while we cannot control the amount that dealers (which are independent of RSi) require to process an order, we can try and influence it. We are now going to ensure that a dealer is agreeable to the $100 deposit before we connect them with the customer.

We are 100% committed to ensuring excellent customer service and are following up with each person placing a pre-order. We genuinely do apologize and hope that we can regain your trust and provide you with a much better experience.
I must say that is a stand up, honest response from a vendor. Look forward to being a customer in the future.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...

After emailing with Jake with RSI, I received a call from Rhino Linings here in Colorado. After a couple of phone calls and communication with RSI, I was able to get everything worked out.

I have placed my order for the SmartCap with no deposit required and free shipping to the Rhino Linings location. From there I can either take it home and put it together/install it myself or I can pay a little to Rhino Linings to assist with installation.

After the initial rocky start, I am overall pleased with my interactions. RSI themselves have been fantastic, and after some initial confusion and a little communication, the distributer I am working with has been great as well. This is a new product and new company for North America, so it makes that things might take a little time to get squared away this early on. I will be one of the very first to have an RSI Smartcap and I am excited to see the product in action!

I still think it is the best looking, best value topper available thus for for the Gladiator and offers the best functionality for what I am looking to do...hoping that this is proven to be the case!

To anyone having difficulty with vendors, I encourage you to stick with it and contact RSI directly. They have been very responsive and fantastic and ended up getting me connected with a responsive vendor and also worked with the vendor directly to make sure things were done correctly. Excellent customer service on their end and its not their fault that some vendors don't have their crap together.
Thank you so much for this follow-up post. We truly are sorry you had a less than stellar initial experience, but are stoked it all worked out in the end. We also greatly appreciate your business and the confidence you have placed in the brand. We are excited to see your build!

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Thank you so much for this follow-up post. We truly are sorry you had a less than stellar initial experience, but are stoked it all worked out in the end. We also greatly appreciate your business and the confidence you have placed in the brand. We are excited to see your build!
I'll be sure to post lots of photos and give an honest review once I receive it!

And thank you for your efforts to help turn the experience around.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I have had a similar experience. I submitted my information to RSI and never got a call from a vendor. I contacted RSI directly and then a couple days later I got a call from a local vendor. The vendor told me they have no pricing information for the SmartCap and that the RSI website was down so they could not take an order. They told me they'd call me back in a day or two with an update.

Flash forward to now, over a week later, and I have not gotten a call back from the vendor. RSI reached out again to see if I got my order in OK, and I told them about the frustrating experience so far.

It does seem like there is a big disconnect between RSI and the vendors here in the US.

I hope it gets straightened out soon because I'm not wanting to wait forever to get a topper for my Jeep, and these logistical issues aren't very promising.
Hang on to that repel-rope my friend . . . It's been a massive undertaking and RSI probably can't BE or SEE all that goes on with those "New Vendors" !?. Presumptions not with standing, let's face it there are some "less than honorables amongst us" who are more than happy to try and take advantage of the unsuspecting . I feel confident RSI will "figure it out" sooner than later . . . least I hope so . ;) :rock:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Hmmm . . . what a difference 2 hours makes . . . Very thoughtful analysis and delivery sir ! Couldn't of said it better myself . :like:

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'll be sure to post lots of photos and give an honest review once I receive it!

And thank you for your efforts to help turn the experience around.
You had better, after that white glove treatment by RSI, ha ha . . . looking forward to seeing Your Rig build-out . :like:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Honesty and forthrightness is ALWAYS Best . . . "The Truth Will Always Be" Good On Ya RSI .

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco

Thanks for the reply but I think I am going to go a different route as I am simply not confidant that an Oct-Nov delivery will happen when RSI did not even notify their dealer network of the reduced deposits at its release After being told they would need a 50% non refundable deposit to place the order was when I realized there was a lack of communication with the dealer network. Jake (Great guy BTW, no issues on his part) spoke to the dealer early last week and they reduced it to 1k to which I said no. They then called again on Fri to say they would honor it at $100

I have an early winter trip planned and absolutely have to have a cap for it so I think its best that I look to someone already in production vs risking a loss of deposit and maybe even my trip.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Thanks for the reply but I think I am going to go a different route as I am simply not confidant that an Oct-Nov delivery will happen when RSI did not even notify their dealer network of the reduced deposits at its release After being told they would need a 50% non refundable deposit to place the order was when I realized there was a lack of communication with the dealer network. Jake (Great guy BTW, no issues on his part) spoke to the dealer early last week and they reduced it to 1k to which I said no. They then called again on Fri to say they would honor it at $100

I have an early winter trip planned and absolutely have to have a cap for it so I think its best that I look to someone already in production vs risking a loss of deposit and maybe even my trip.
I have not read the whole thread, but just wanted to say the Alu-Cab dealers also charge 50% up front deposit.