RSI Smartcap

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
That's a huge bummer all around man.

To be fair on a few things from my personal perspective:

-I don't think I've seen a single manufacturer put out a new product this year that has been able to stick to timelines.
-I think packaging for 175 pounds of steel was sufficient (assuming that everyone's is packed the same, or better than mine was, since I got one of the first ones and there seem to have been improvements made to packaging). I'm still wondering what kind of shipping shenanigans are going on to bend and warp packaged steel...
-The clearance issue should have been picked up in R&D for sure. I'm honestly not sure how it wasn't, since it was literally the first thing I noticed. I've really only seen it as a minor nuisance though. It doesn't really impact the function of the cap at all, but I get that people have different tolerances for inconveniences.

I'm 100% with you on the other two points. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind shipping order, and I do wish RSI took more of an active approach with dealing with distribution, considering the issues that are manifesting. It really is a fantastic product, but the experience is definitely being marred for many people by the logistics side of the house. It's unfortunate, to say the least. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the number of issues turning up caught RSI on their back foot. Here's to hoping that they can adjust and keep things on track going forward.
Regarding your points (and you are correct)
- This really has nothing to do with a manufacturer meeting timelines. This started with Keystone and their failed logistics (Logistics is their core function...) and them shipping my reserved cap to somebody who ordered after me, thus bumping me to the second container, then giving me multiple dates that were not met and a bunch of lies about it. I have been keenly aware of the delays in the ocean shipping before placing the order.
I've been in the logistics business for decades, and understand details that have allowed me to catch Keystone lying.
- Pervasive damage in shipping comes back to improper packaging. LTL shipping, especially odd size/heavy items is hard on freight. Packaging engineers get paid well to avoid these problems. RSI should invest in one. Possibly it isn't fair for me to label the problem as 'pervasive' since I don't know the damage rate. Given the type of product being shipped, there should be a very low tolerance for in-transit damage though.
- Since I don't have a cap, I can't really gripe about the spacer issue, other than it does seem from staying involved in this thread that RSI could be taking better care to handle this.

Thanks for your perspective.
Sponsored

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Do you have Tennessee plates on your JT? Mainers must love that.... I have had a place in Maine for years, they have always disliked people “from away” but with the Corona virus they have ramped up their distain.
And Tennessee has the highest COVID rates (per 100k) IN THE WORLD right now... Needless to say, we back into the driveway.

Reactions: Mac

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Accd to tracking sent to me, mine is on the way. If I’m correct, they arrive in the states fro South Africa in NJ. Tracking shows it has been to K.C., then Chicago, now Indianapolis. I live in NC.. thats definitely going around your ass to get to your elbow. I’m fully expecting it to be damaged and will refuse to accept it if any damage is obvious. I would take it damaged if I didn’t already know that RSI has no parts available yet to address issues which is quite surprising. Having been in this type of industry in the past I can tell you for certain that there should have been a crate addressed to a US rep with spare panels and other parts included on the first boat over. But, I’ve watched this rollout since its inception and am not surprised with how any of this has played out. Unfortunately these days, companies spend more effort and money on social media hype than they do making sure the actual release goes smoothly.
Keystone is a Logistics company that can't do Logistics.
RSI is a helluva cap designer and marketer that can't choose a logistics company or provide customer service.

Not having spare parts (especially in a modular design!!!!!) is inexcusable. They are using body shops to repair in-transit damage. Do you want your new multi-thousand dollar metal cap repaired with Bondo and repainted..... I don't.

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I too got my canopy yesterday. Also ordered in Aug. It was frustrating to keep hearing that the date kept getting pushed back. It came just in time for my trip though. It came on a big pallet all wrapped up and no corners were pushed in, so the lack of damage was looking good and ultimately ended up good. It probably took me 3-4 hours total to install. It's easy enough to diy, but it's tedious and heavy, you will need extra bodies for install. I can see how a few things could be changed for better fit. I wish for as much as we paid, RSI included the additional spacers or refunded a certain amount. There's no reason why a $3700 top shouldn't included absolutely everything. Overall, I'm quite happy and still think it's the best top out there and feel it looks best with the softtop but was def designed for hardtop with the pass through window.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 20201221_152912

20201222_125711.jpg

20201222_125733.jpg

20201222_125801.jpg

Last edited:

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
Learned a lesson today. Last night I was messing with the spacers and I was doing it by myself. Long story short, I ended up shimmying the cap too far back. Woke up this morning, went for a drive, I could hear a rattling sound echoing through the cab. Come to find out, the cap can come in contact with cab over bumps. It didn't break or scratch anything, but a good FYI.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Learned a lesson today. Last night I was messing with the spacers and I was doing it by myself. Long story short, I ended up shimmying the cap too far back. Woke up this morning, went for a drive, I could hear a rattling sound echoing through the cab. Come to find out, the cap can come in contact with cab over bumps. It didn't break or scratch anything, but a good FYI.
How far back did you have it for it to contact the cab?

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How far back did you have it for it to contact the cab?
This might work as a point of reference, the D-gasket was on the back half of the foam strip that you lay on the bed. I bet there was about 1/2" between the cab and cap. It's safe to say that the bed can flex at least a 1/2" while hitting bumps.

I didn't even look at that part. I was focused on the amount of compression on the gasket at the tailgate.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I too got my canopy yesterday. Also ordered in Aug. It was frustrating to keep hearing that the date kept getting pushed back. It came just in time for my trip though. It came on a big pallet all wrapped up and no corners were pushed in, so the lack of damage was looking good and ultimately ended up good. It probably took me 3-4 hours total to install. It's easy enough to diy, but it's tedious and heavy, you will need extra bodies for install. I can see how a few things could be changed for better fit. I wish for as much as we paid, RSI included the additional spacers or refunded a certain amount. There's no reason why a $3700 top shouldn't included absolutely everything. Overall, I'm quite happy and still think it's the best top out there and feel it looks best with the softtop but was def designed for hardtop with the pass through window.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 20201222_125801

Does that one piece standing up go all the way to the floor? I can see from the picture how some stuff could be damaged - the piece sticking above the rest I think would be susceptible to being damaged. Nothing to protect it from anything hitting from either side.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does that one piece standing up go all the way to the floor? I can see from the picture how some stuff could be damaged - the piece sticking above the rest I think would be susceptible to being damaged. Nothing to protect it from anything hitting from either side.
Mine looked just like that. It had two 2x4's drilled into the pallet that supported its back. But, you are right that it had nothing to protect it on the sides. But, once you open it up, there are foam pieces that separate the roof panel from the edge.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a serious question. If I get locked inside. Is there a way to unlatch the latches? I looked but it seems like disassembly is the only way.

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I have a serious question. If I get locked inside. Is there a way to unlatch the latches? I looked but it seems like disassembly is the only way.
I remember someone in a thread saying you could reach out of those small sliding windows and reach the latches to open the doors.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
Over the past month, there have been several concerns brought up on this forum. We are posting today to provide insight into each of these issues. It is important to note (but it should also go without saying), while we are trying to deliver as close to perfect a product and service offering as we can, we are human at the end of the day, and we don't always get it right straight out of the gate. We listen closely to our customers, their concerns, and their experience with the product, and we are reacting to improve.

Let us start with the things that are somewhat in our control—the shipping damage some of you have experienced. As this issue reared its ugly head, we immediately looked at how the panels were packaged in South Africa and began reinforcing the box edges. We are now wrapping the entire perimeter of the packaging with a wooded edge for the new products coming off the South Africa manufacturing line. For products that exist in the Keystone warehouses, we are in the process of reinforcing the outer corners of the box. These steps should result in a reduction of shipping damage. Should someone end up with a damaged roof panel, please contact us at [email protected], and we will work to take care of the problem.

Regarding the rear door clearance issues, we did not become aware of this until installation began of the production models on your trucks. We tried to react as fast as we could to bring about a solution (I think it took us around five days to respond). We tested this on beds in South Africa, came up with a solution, then tried it on our Gladiator in the states before providing feedback to solve the problem. We are currently shipping pads from South Africa to our support department. We felt it was in your best interest to encourage you to get materials from a local hardware store so that you could get your caps installed right away on your trucks. We know that this has been an inconvenience and are both sorry you had to endure this and appreciate your time to implement the solution.

Finally, regarding the shipping delay issues, in every instance, we have communicated updates on the forum, or when Keystone has communicated with the dealers you have purchased your caps from, we have provided the information we had available at that time. People get frustrated when companies declare that COVID is wreaking havoc on their supply chain and shipping schedules as though it were a made-up excuse. Still, it is the culprit, affecting most manufacturers on the planet—not just SmartCap.

Some have been harshly critical of Keystone and our decision to go with them as our distributor. We chose them for excellent reasons, and while no company is perfect, we couldn't be happier with our decision. They are the largest and one of the most respected automotive distributors in North America, and for very good reason. They are reliable, flexible, and adept at global supply chain logistics. Yes, we have encountered issues such as the initial "first in, first out" fulfillment of orders. Their systems were not originally setup to work with a manufacturer’s product line that required backorders to go for more than 60 days. This caused an issue with First In First Out orders falling out of order. However, as soon as we became aware of it, they immediately implemented changes to fix the problem. We have been faced with unprecedented demand for a new product during unprecedented times and with Keystone are doing everything we can to meet consumer expectations as quickly as possible.

With all of this said, we completely understand your frustration and your concerns, and they are in no way falling on deaf ears. We appreciate the feedback you provide on this forum and would only ask that you hang in there. Please know, we are doing everything we can to improve and deliver a premium product and service.

gmc1000_1965

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Yes, mine was not damaged though.
Sponsored