Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
is this the XL?
Im basically just sitting here with tape measures in the living room floor trying to visualize the sleeping area's of several tents. lol My wife is just like "well we have to have the king ultra 6000"
I really like the vagabond - just has that look that is nice.
But I also cannot deny that I would absolutely love the light blocking tech the 23zero has, sadly they are like $300 shipped vs the vagabond shipped for $5. $300 shipped just pushes it out I think because that isnt $300 worth of usefulness you get to use, if that makes sense. I could stick that $300 into something else (fridge, solar for fridge etc)
Im looking at overland vehicle systems and they seem really nice too, 4 year warranty too I think. : O
It's the regular/middle size. The sleeping area is about the size of a queen size bed whereas the XL is supposed to be more of a king size bed.

I went with the regular vs the XL so I could still mount 2 mountain bikes on the rack when the tent is on there.

Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions 1620747197863

Also, FWIW with all the windows zipped up in full sun it was shockingly dark in the tent. If it was under a shade tree, it would be way more than dark enough. BUT... full sun with all the windows sealed up it was getting hot really quick. In Texas, most times of the year even if you could block out that sun by being all zipped up, you'd be baking in no time so you wouldn't be sleeping anyway.
Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Your's looks like mine! It's a nice piece of kit for sure. It was darker inside then I expected once the sun came up.

Jeep Gladiator Rtt suggestions/opinions A4997A54-FDC6-4529-9417-DBC1BC021F15
Great looking rig! I'm happy to see that you didn't end up with much slack in the annex at that rack height! I haven't zipped mine on yet but I suspect that our rack height is pretty similar! Where mine sits right now, the bottom of the tent is ~65" off the ground.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
it might be coming down to these two...

The Overland Vehicle Systems Normadic 4 w/annex - $1,949 shipped
sleep area 75" x 94.5"

23Zero Breezeway 72 (king) - $2,000 (shipped I think)
sleep area 72" x 96"

im still not sure what the difference is between the breezeway and the walkabout... 🧐
looks like the breezeway just has alot more windows for airflow and the walkabout looks more traditional sloped roof with two windows...

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Rooftop tent.....at least on the roof is not for me. Don't see the need to be 65"+ off the ground. Love the ease of setup vs standard tent. In the process of building my own expedition trailer which solves my issue with them. Going with the 23 ZERO Breezeway 62 queen with light suppression technology.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Rooftop tent.....at least on the roof is not for me. Don't see the need to be 65"+ off the ground. Love the ease of setup vs standard tent. In the process of building my own expedition trailer which solves my issue with them. Going with the 23 ZERO Breezeway 62 queen with light suppression technology.
Ok...

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I think I have it narrowed down to the breezeway. If it's still like $300 shipped that may be a deal breaker...
Have you checked with a dealer near you to save on the shipping?
I have the 62 Breeseway and when I was purchasing 23Zero had 2-4 months lead-time depending on the day you asked them. I live within a hour from them, but drove to CO to get one a week after I ordered. $100 in gas was fine to have one in a week.

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it might be coming down to these two...

The Overland Vehicle Systems Normadic 4 w/annex - $1,949 shipped
sleep area 75" x 94.5"

23Zero Breezeway 72 (king) - $2,000 (shipped I think)
sleep area 72" x 96"

im still not sure what the difference is between the breezeway and the walkabout... 🧐
looks like the breezeway just has alot more windows for airflow and the walkabout looks more traditional sloped roof with two windows...
The Breezeway has basic side windows that have no awning. This is for us that use half racks since the awning poles on one side would hit the trucks roof.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The Breezeway has basic side windows that have no awning. This is for us that use half racks since the awning poles on one side would hit the trucks roof.
now thats the kind of info I am looking for.
No, I havent been to a dealer, nearest is 3 hours away or more.
So are you saying between those two I should go with the walkabout?

Sponsored

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to run a half rack I would suggest the Breezway, otherwise go for the Walkabout.
I called the dealer in CO and had several conversations with them. I ordered online and then contacted them with my order number. They dropped the shipping fee, but stilled showed it as being shipped out of state and did not charge tax. The six hour round trip may be justified if you can save $300 on shipping. Plus that way you are supporting a smaller local business.

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention that if you are looking for a large annex area then the Walkabout is the better option.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
If you are going to run a half rack I would suggest the Breezway, otherwise go for the Walkabout.
I called the dealer in CO and had several conversations with them. I ordered online and then contacted them with my order number. They dropped the shipping fee, but stilled showed it as being shipped out of state and did not charge tax. The six hour round trip may be justified if you can save $300 on shipping. Plus that way you are supporting a smaller local business.
It'll cost me $300 to drive there, gasoline is looking rough too. I'm hoping they get it fixed. I run a fullsize rack that goes over my softopper. I think I got some of my pricing off and I'll need to make sure they include the annex (pretty important with a family of 5 plus dogs!)

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
We have a Tepui Autana 3 w/ the annex. Never used the annex.

I can put the tent on/take it off myself, but it's a shifty process. We had it on a Ford Expedition... and I'm 5'6".

I open the tent up, take the rainfly off, and take out the mattress and anything inside. I take off the heavy rubberized canvas cover. Much lighter that way. It's maybe 70-90 pounds that way.

We've had a RTT for 3 years now and prefer it over anything else. It's great in bear country when it's mounted on the roof.

The tent needs to be level. Or you need the sheets for the mattress. Nylon and nylon together make it super slippery. I've woken pressed against the downhill side of the tent because we weren't level enough.

Whatever tent you get, get one that has roof windows. It's great for air circulation and you can see the stars at night.

We bought ours through REI to get the dividends. ;)

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
We have 23Zero walkabout and love it. Best soft topper out there In my opinion.
Sponsored