First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Ha
I also like how you mounted your Midland. I got one for Christmas and I haven't gotten around to mounting it yet. Does the antenna work well enough off the hood like that? And how is the remote box secured under the steering column - is it screwed to something or just sorta zip-tied in there?

And where did you get all the accessories to mount the radio, antenna, etc.? I see it is Cooltech stuff, but I put four things in my cart and the shipping was $40. There's no way I'm paying that much for shipping a few lightweight items (two cables, the mount, and the 3db antenna). Have they never heard of Priority Mail Flat Rate?
Sadly no field tests yet. Just local in my shop tests.
And I mounted it with the provided mount with velcro and a couple zip ties to the inverter under the column (it’s empty if you don’t have the 120v outlets). As I did that, theres still room to pull it out from the quick disconnect mount and access all the cables and such. It’s not quite as pretty or solid as I wanted, but it’s firmly in place, accessible and got the job done.

Advertisement

Lucrob

First Name
Lucas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
PPF & Large format graphics production
Camping

This is the fun part. I have for years wanted a Go-Fast camper, and once I decided on the Gladiator I knew it would be the right platform to finally place an order for.

This is a super light, super strong and preserves easy access to the pickup bed. A solid marriage of a heavy duty metal camper shell, and a pop-up hard shell RTT.

Its a year build queue so in the meantime, I got a folding cot tent and a Tonneau to store my gear.

916CDE7E-E1BC-49EB-AA8A-B9D201687962.jpeg

39B5CF3C-8BAE-4E59-8DAF-05D7209DB915.jpeg

Not mine, but an example of whats to come:
F4485BA5-E0B6-48BC-8506-6C6051D1AA5F.jpeg

02D5D36D-27D6-4AD4-BF1D-83F7E06C7242.jpeg

5FBD3924-0B3E-48A7-B8F9-17B5F36E1607.jpeg
I have a GFC build for a Gladiator number 1630 that I'm looking to sell. No profft saught, but no loss either. Let me know if you'd like it.

OP
Rubi_Rhod

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have a GFC build for a Gladiator number 1630 that I'm looking to sell. No profft saught, but no loss either. Let me know if you'd like it.
Thanks, but I think I am in the same boat, and will be needing to sell my upcoming build, which is like 14xx. I still really, really want it, but life got interesting over the past year, and had to re-prioritize spending.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Thanks, but I think I am in the same boat, and will be needing to sell my upcoming build, which is like 14xx. I still really, really want it, but life got interesting over the past year, and had to re-prioritize spending.
I would love to step in and snag one of you guy's GFC builds... but man, for the money (and my wife's lack of interest climbing a ladder to sleep) I keep getting pulled back to a trailer. Bummer that both of you will be unable to get the topper, they're so nice. (and huckable.)

OP
Rubi_Rhod

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would love to step in and snag one of you guy's GFC builds... but man, for the money (and my wife's lack of interest climbing a ladder to sleep) I keep getting pulled back to a trailer. Bummer that both of you will be unable to get the topper, they're so nice. (and huckable.)

Hopefully things change! I too did a cost savings detour and started repurposing old gear and moved my “placeholder” RTT over to my utility trailer and starting a budget Adventure trailer build. At the end of the day, I wanted to get out for longer periods, and really this should solve that by having plenty of space for the gear, water and provisions needed, without dropping serious coin. As I’m not quite a roaming full-timer just yet.

8EF4CE12-C23A-4507-9023-081DEA7855CD.jpeg
552898A5-6EFD-434C-BADA-89F87024B474.jpeg
65CFA57E-FA7F-4850-8E4E-597EB08254AD.jpeg

eternus

First Name
Jody
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
As I’m not quite a roaming full-timer just yet.
This. Though I have a wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a dozen chickens and a mortgage... I don't anticipate ever making it to "full timer" and will either be me and my son for a few days, or me and my wife for longer... which comes back to the trailer thing again. (c: All that being said... you seem capable of turning a wrench... you might look into the DIY GFC project over on the Tacoma forums, it's what I'll be doing when I have a spare 3-4k (vs the spare 9k that i'll never have.)

OP
Rubi_Rhod

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
This. Though I have a wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a dozen chickens and a mortgage... I don't anticipate ever making it to "full timer" and will either be me and my son for a few days, or me and my wife for longer... which comes back to the trailer thing again. (c: All that being said... you seem capable of turning a wrench... you might look into the DIY GFC project over on the Tacoma forums, it's what I'll be doing when I have a spare 3-4k (vs the spare 9k that i'll never have.)

Oh hell yeah!! I’ve been dying to get into fabrication and have many of the tools yet, but that is a huge cost savings and a heck of a lot of pride which I value more than spending for a “perfect” produced good.

Thanks for the share! That might be a solid winter project as I can definitely fit and build in my shop.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Oh hell yeah!! I’ve been dying to get into fabrication and have many of the tools yet, but that is a huge cost savings and a heck of a lot of pride which I value more than spending for a “perfect” produced good.

Thanks for the share! That might be a solid winter project as I can definitely fit and build in my shop.
I'm in the same boat, i have a full 600 sq ft wood shop, a welder and basically everything I'd need to make that GFC top. The most intimidating part is sewing the fabric for the tent. I was about to start it when I realized I should get a summer of camping under my belt, its been too long since I camped... what if I don't like it anymore? =oP So depending on how truck camping works out this summer, I'll be revisiting it next fall. Seems to be a 2-3 month project for everyone that starts it.

Advertisement

Advertisement