Rubicon rear shocks- pogo suspension?

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
I've had 5100s on order since June. I'll let you know when they get here... I run heavy all the time. My jeep is not a daily driver, so it stays loaded and ready. The ride is fine until it's not like you say. Hoping the new dampers help tone the bounce and sway down.
Sponsored

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma
I've got close to 700# constant weight in the back of mine (tent+tools+rack) with Dobinson HD springs and Rubi shocks. The solution to pogo-stick bounce for me was more tire pressure. An extra 10 PSI quieted all that shit down, and it's a zero-dollar fix.

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I've got close to 700# constant weight in the back of mine (tent+tools+rack) with Dobinson HD springs and Rubi shocks. The solution to pogo-stick bounce for me was more tire pressure. An extra 10 PSI quieted all that shit down, and it's a zero-dollar fix.
I have ran as high as 40psi cold (usually ends up around 45 on the highway) and now run 35 all the time. Zero difference with tire pressure adjustments.

truck still pogos-the shocks are too soft- specifically on the rebound side.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I have ran as high as 40psi cold (usually ends up around 45 on the highway) and now run 35 all the time. Zero difference with tire pressure adjustments.

The rear shocks need at the minimum another 10% more in rebound.

The front need another 10% in compression if it's a diesel.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have a max tow and run the fox 2.0s that i got off a forum member. Havenā€™t really noticed a bunch of bounce or anything like yā€™all are describing. Even with a heavy trailer and 1400lbs of payload I only bounce maybe once after a bump. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

Arcticelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, '13 Tacoma

I'm running an e-rated tire (Patagonia MT) at 50 PSI.

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I have a max tow and run the fox 2.0s that i got off a forum member. Havenā€™t really noticed a bunch of bounce or anything like yā€™all are describing. Even with a heavy trailer and 1400lbs of payload I only bounce maybe once after a bump. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Itā€™s ā€œmostā€ noticeable at 70-80mph. I donā€™t tow going that fast, but I do run with a canopy, decked system and 200~#ā€™s of tools. Itā€™s not the end of the world. Shocks are on the way, just think Jeep could have done a better job.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I've had 5100s on order since June. I'll let you know when they get here... I run heavy all the time. My jeep is not a daily driver, so it stays loaded and ready. The ride is fine until it's not like you say. Hoping the new dampers help tone the bounce and sway down.
Any updates on the 5100s? I'm tired of the pogo stick, but don't necessarily want to lift if I don't have to.

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
How are the shocks? im up in Marysville with about 600 LBS of gear on Dobson HD springs in the rear and they are GREAT! if you up in this corner and wanted to ride in it or jump on the bumper and see the spring rate let me know

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I reached out to a suspension seller to get their take on the three options in the stock aftermarket replacement segment and found his info really helpful. It's really hard to find a comparison of these online. DM me if interested in the source.

Here's what he said when I asked about the Bilstein 5100s vs Rancho 9000XL vs FOX 2.0 (that are FOX tuned, not Jeep tuned).

Thanks for reaching out. It is really common for setups for stock height, or with limited travel to have relatively fast rebound characteristics so that the suspension recovers as fast as possible on larger hits. I would imagine you only have a maximum of around 5" of upward suspension travel from normal ride height, so they try to use a "looser" rebound tune to keep you further up in the travel range. The Rubicon shocks in particular are really optimized for more low-speed off-roading, which probably makes the out of control feeling on rebound more prevalent. If you are looking for something with more control on rebound I would definitely stay far away from the Ranchos, as they are the most underdamped on the rebound side of any shock I have every felt in my life. Although from what I have felt, the Bilsteins are SUPER tight on rebound, I would lean towards the Fox as they should be just as good, and if they still do not meet your needs they can be revalved for $35 a shock at Fox directly. Fox tuned the 2.0 Performance Series shocks for more control everywhere, but particularly at speed. They do a really good job of taking a hit and recovering quickly to where they need to be rather than letting the rebound get out of control, so I think you will really like them. However just as I said, if you do not they can easily be revalved at Fox for not too much more money.
I then asked about the compression characteristics.

Sure, so the 5100 is a digressively valved shock, so without getting too far down the rabbit hole, basically, they will be a lot firmer at lower speeds over smaller bumps and soften on the compression side as speeds or the size of the hit increases they soften up. I found in my testing rebound on slower hits was pretty darn slow to where you could almost skip over successive hard hits at speed. They will also have a lot less body roll and brake dive than the stock stuff. Overall I think they are probably closed to that "German Ride" you are looking for, the only real issue I had with them is is you will definitely be surprised by your bump stops a whole lot off road. They almost give you a false sense of security at moderate speeds off-road, however, if you step a hair over their limit, they bounce rapidly from full bump to full top out until they settle, so it takes a little time to find their "happy zone" so to speak. The Fox 2.0 Performance Series I recommended may not have as tight of handling characteristics, but they are a bit more predictable, have better small bump comfort, and more bottom-out support. They give you some warning before you drive beyond their pay grade, and they probably will not bottom out as hard or as often as the Bilstein or the stock Fox. And although they may not feel as tight as a Bilstein around corners and at speed, they will still be a lot better than stock.

Given his feedback, I think I'll try out the FOX 2.0s.

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
They finally arrived and were reasonably straightforward to install. Took me maybe an hour per end.
The ride and handling are much improved. Less sway and rocking when turning out into traffic. I have not had an opportunity to get it off pavement, but I expect it will be an improvement here as well. The next question for me is, now that I see the benefits of more damping, should I be looking at taking another step up? I still feel like it could be better with more. For a lighter setup or more of a daily driver, I think this would be the sweet spot, but for my needs, I think more damping would be better.
1/23 update:
I've had these on for about 3000 miles and put some good time in off-road, on highway, and towing, and I can say now that they have been a game changer. Again, if you spend a lot of time empty and on pavement they may be a bit harsh, but if you are using your jeep as god intended, they seem like a great value given the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
They finally arrived and were reasonably straightforward to install. Took me maybe an hour per end.
The ride and handling are much improved. Less sway and rocking when turning out into traffic. I have not had an opportunity to get it off pavement, but I expect it will be an improvement here as well. The next question for me is, now that I see the benefits of more damping, should I be looking at taking another step up? I still feel like it could be better with more. For a lighter setup or more of a daily driver, I think this would be the sweet spot, but for my needs, I think more damping would be better.
I think Iā€™m in the same boat you areā€¦. Canopy, deckedā€¦. Running probably 400#ā€™s in the rear all day every dayā€¦.

Iā€™m not going to chase my tail anymore. Waiting on a response from AEV for their spring lengths compressed and unsprung but Iā€™m pretty set on their HD load springs.

(to add they offer 5100 & 8100ā€™s with matched valvingā€¦)