Sponsored

Safety Packages?

George D.

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 1969 Corvette, 2002 HD FXDL, 2002 HD VRSCA, 2002 HD XL, 2002 Buell M2, 1999 HD MT500, 1997 HD FLSTS, XL,
That’s not what you said. What you said was that the safety packages promote bad habits and lazy driving. Again, none of those notions have any facts behind them. I can tell you that I’m a usaf pilot and I think I’m a reasonable driver and that system saved my butt one time. So speaking from experience I can say your notions are not correct.
You are applying my quote to a person I didn't respond to. My comment was in reference to post #66. I actually support and use safety enhanced technologyy.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You are applying my quote to a person I didn't respond to. My comment was in reference to post #66. I actually support and use safety enhanced technologyy.
Oops. Sorry!!

George D.

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 1969 Corvette, 2002 HD FXDL, 2002 HD VRSCA, 2002 HD XL, 2002 Buell M2, 1999 HD MT500, 1997 HD FLSTS, XL,
Can you point us to an accident that happened when people did everything right? I can not think of any but if I was thinking hypothetical I would say that must of involved a mechanical error of some sort. Hence why i don't trust " safety features".

The person that was killed in the accident that did everything right (no longer talking) was probably killed by a driver doing something wrong. What will never be known is, could the accident been avoided if the safety packages had been in use.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I didn't get any safety packages on mine. I rarely use cruise control so adaptive cruise was a big no. Blind spot monitoring doesn't seem necessary for my driving. I live in an area of Pennsylvania where the towns are small, and you can get where you want to go by using the back roads.

Sponsored

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
Many of these features exist for the protection of others from the idiot texting their friend “omg did u see the bachelor lulz!” as they hurtle down the highway.

I’m looking for a safety system that pulls the driver out of the car and curb stomps them unconscious when that sort of behavior is detected.

I am no nanny but I would support laws making such equipment mandatory.

I may even be willing to accept employment as the equipment.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
They make driving safer and less stressful for me.
Those are my words exactly. Adaptive cruise in particular is super relaxing on long trips, or even just around town. My wife who loves her BMW roadster and dislikes trucks has started using the Gladiator for some errands simply because of that.

Because of all the safety features, my insurance is STUPID cheap, under $50/mo! Without them, and the same vehicle, it would be much more. But I'm sure insurance companies know nothing about calculating safety and risk.

OP
OP

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Those are my words exactly. Adaptive cruise in particular is super relaxing on long trips, or even just around town. My wife who loves her BMW roadster and dislikes trucks has started using the Gladiator for some errands simply because of that.

Because of all the safety features, my insurance is STUPID cheap, under $50/mo! Without them, and the same vehicle, it would be much more. But I'm sure insurance companies know nothing about calculating safety and risk.
I didn’t see any such savings when I quoted insurance with and without the features through Progressive. It was only about an $80-$90/yr savings. It could be because we have a teen driver, but who knows.

And before anyone says anything about teens needing the safety features, it isn’t their vehicle snd they won’t be driving it.

tyscty

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
EOD
Is the sensitivity adjustable?
Does it use your settings from the ACC?
I've had it in rentals, and really liked it, but I've not tried the Chrysler version.
Honestly I am not sure...

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Can you point us to an accident that happened when people did everything right? I can not think of any but if I was thinking hypothetical I would say that must of involved a mechanical error of some sort. Hence why i don't trust " safety features".
I was rear-ended this morning by a new KL. Driver was under the influence, doing 30 mph over the speed limit in the right lane. I was going the exact speed limit (CC was set) and did everything right. My rig is toast. If that other driver had the collision package my rig would have had a much better chance at not being dead.

There's your real-world example.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I was rear-ended this morning by a new KL. Driver was under the influence, doing 30 mph over the speed limit in the right lane. I was going the exact speed limit (CC was set) and did everything right. My rig is toast. If that other driver had the collision package my rig would have had a much better chance at not being dead.

There's your real-world example.
That is not a real word example of people doing everything right one half of the people involved did something terribly wrong.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That is not a real word example of people doing everything right one half of the people involved did something terribly wrong.
You won't get a rise out of me. Have a nice day.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Not sure why that's the bar - are you saying you think automatic braking is only safer in cases that all parties are responsible drivers? I don't think that's the case. But I can imagine lots of accidents in cases where the car ahead of you hits the brakes [due to deer, kids, dogs jumping into the street, or traffic ahead of them hitting brakes] while you are changing radio stations, talking to family in car, looking at your mirrors, looking at your dashboard where automatic braking potentially save an accident.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Not sure why that's the bar - are you saying you think automatic braking is only safer in cases that all parties are responsible drivers? I don't think that's the case. But I can imagine lots of accidents in cases where the car ahead of you hits the brakes [due to deer, kids, dogs jumping into the street, or traffic ahead of them hitting brakes] while you are changing radio stations, talking to family in car, looking at your mirrors, looking at your dashboard where automatic braking potentially save an accident.
I set no bar. I was quoted in a post that misunderstood or misrepresented my original argument that accidents do not happen when everyone does everything correctly.

Someone has to make a mistake or there will be no accident. That was my only point. In this most resent case someone drove drunk and mad a bunch of bad choices that caused this terrible accident.

I think if you drive drunk and wrecks someones vehicle that person should get to burn your home to the ground. If you kill someone you should be hung in public. but thats just me.

Davekayc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 diesel
Occupation
Roadbuilder
I wish it didnt mean having a big black box behind your mirror. I ended up getting the system in mine when I told the salesman I wanted a loaded vehicle. I was annoyed it showed up with the extra that i deemed unnecessary . Last week I went on a lengthy road trip in the wifes car. Gls450. Had adaptive , auto braking even steers between the lines . I can now see where the benefits are , makes the trip less stressful. A moron slowing down and speeding up infront of you is no longer an issue. Chose the distance in which you want to follow and it does the rest. If they slow down too much and you change lanes it goes up to the original speed you wanted . At least the big black box behind the rearview mirror helps block the sun between the visors.
Sponsored