Sponsored

Sale for June - Harbor Freight Winch

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I had one of the old badland winches on my 2013 JK. Worked flawlessly. No issues. That being said, I always felt guilty for having a Chinese winch. So my next Jeep I bought a Quadratec Chinese winch. No problems either, but same guilt. I badly want to buy American for my Gladiator build. But the prices are hard to pass up... Whether or not my anti-Chinese product sentiment beats out my budget again remains to be seen!
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I had one of the old badland winches on my 2013 JK. Worked flawlessly. No issues. That being said, I always felt guilty for having a Chinese winch. So my next Jeep I bought a Quadratec Chinese winch. No problems either, but same guilt. I badly want to buy American for my Gladiator build. But the prices are hard to pass up... Whether or not my anti-Chinese product sentiment beats out my budget again remains to be seen!
If it makes you feel any better I have a Warn & still feel bad about having a Chinese Winch. You pretty much gotta break a grand or buy used to get american made I think.

Rottie

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP GLADIATOR / JEEP WRANGLER JL
Got mine with the 2yr warranty added in for $400. If you know the manager he will probably let you stack the coupons but if not the price is better if you use the 20% off rather than get it for $499. I know the manager at my local one pretty good and he let me use the 20% and let me use his employee discount. Put me out the door with tax at $402 with the warranty.I had to order it online because they didn't have it in stock but he ordered it through the store and it arrived last week. I have been pretty happy with it.
IMG_20200603_204148.jpg
you got a hell of a deal man...and it looks really look on your JT...congrats!

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
I decided to order last week a Badlands 12000 winch with a synthetic line. I got an email from Harbor yesterday that this item was BACKORDER and there is no delivery date available.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to order last week a Badlands 12000 winch with a synthetic line. I got an email from Harbor yesterday that this item was BACKORDER and there is no delivery date available.
Mine was on Backorder as well when I ordered mine, I got the same email but it only took 12 days for me to get it. I have heard some people having to wait more than a month. I did order mine through my buddy at the store which may have made a difference. They don't normally allow you to do that, but he place the order and had it shipped to the store. Also saved me $160 on it counting the 2yr warranty I got added as well. $402 out the door

Sponsored

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
That's a hell of a deal. I put a 12k Badland winch on mine. It was actually bought for my other rig but never mounted. Swapped to synthetic line and mounted on my XRC. The Apex definitely looks better but I have a cover on mine anyway to protect the line from the garbage AZ sun. This deal is tempting though.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
For this price, you almost have to buy it.

Jeep Gladiator Sale for June - Harbor Freight Winch 20200615_113801

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
For this price, you almost have to buy it.

20200615_113801.jpg
I think the one they are trying to get is the Apex Badlands winch but that one would be ok as well. I ran the first version of that winch on my JKU and it did great. The cycle speed is a little slow, but as long as you know how to use a winch it will eventually get you unstuck

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
For you average kid with new to him TJ this would be a steal. Were I not a practitioner of the black arts of hydraulic winches this would be a screaming deal of an option.

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
Just an FYI - Harbor Freight has their new APEX 12,000 lb winch with synthetic rope on sale right now for $499, without a coupon. Hard to beat that price. Despite the recall on the jack stands, I still shop there. I was looking for their 20% coupon to head there for shrink wrap and a heat gun, but it might cost me a little more today. Opens in 15 minutes out here in the West...
I watched a review on that winch, you tube. Guy has three Jeeps and Has stage built his gladiator. The review was good and that winch is solid. Now, there are Harbor Freights everywhere For replacement parts.. not so much For the “name” brands, something to think about out on the trail away from 4WP and etc.

Sponsored

1337bwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT
Occupation
Information Security
For you average kid with new to him TJ this would be a steal. Were I not a practitioner of the black arts of hydraulic winches this would be a screaming deal of an option.
I have never owned a winch in my life. What's the difference between the $299 and the APEX? Why do I need a 12,000lb winch when my gladiator only weighs 6,000lbs with all my gear in it? (6,000 x 1.3 = 7,800) Is this a good enough deal I should go ahead and order even if my next trip won't likely be until fall?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have never owned a winch in my life. What's the difference between the $299 and the APEX? Why do I need a 12,000lb winch when my gladiator only weighs 6,000lbs with all my gear in it? (6,000 x 1.3 = 7,800) Is this a good enough deal I should go ahead and order even if my next trip won't likely be until fall?
Apex has faster cycle time so it will get you out faster plus it weighs less because it has synthetic line and it comes with the wireless remote. Also it is waterproof to the point of being submersible where the regular one is not. You technically could get by with a 9000lb winch but why not get a 12000 lb one in case you need it

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
You need a winch with a capacity in excess of your maximum weight to account for a number of different factors; uphill versus level or down hill pull, pulling through mud etc. 12k of winch for 6k of truck is good over factor.

Another way to think of it is do you want to be operating at 50% of rated capacity/ability or 90%?

A bigger winch with larger line and heavier hook etc means far less of a chance for catastrophic failure as well. Lower overall risk all the way around.

The difference between the apex and standard unit come down to line speed, sealing of electronic and gear trains and the apex comes with synthetic line and a remote both of which can be added. But these differences are also a product of your intended usage and how you maintain.
Sponsored