Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for feedback on Satellite Phones. I go to Mojave Desert and want a dependable sat phone for emergency use.
Sponsored

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I go out there as well by myself to do astrophotography with my scope. I would be interested in this information to. Years ago I looked into it and it was crazy expensive. Hopefully it’s come down now a bit

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I go out there as well by myself to do astrophotography with my scope. I would be interested in this information to. Years ago I looked into it and it was crazy expensive. Hopefully it’s come down now a bit
I have seen units that pair up to a cell phone or are GPS oriented, that go for less than $300.00. I'll keep looking and keep you informed. The night sky is very beautiful out there.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I was looking at the Garmin InReach. It's a locator beacon, you can satellite text and receive to cellphones also, has weather updates. You can pay one month at a time. Different plans depending on your budget/needs. It gets mixed reviews. There's also available by others a emergency locator beacon that only sends a sos and your location, after the initial cost it's free, no plans or crap to pay for but it is a one trick pony.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The garmin in reach is nice I have a mini that I don’t really use anymore but when I did it was great

Sponsored

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
Sorry to the OP.. Don't mean to Hijack but What scope do you use? I recently camped out in the everglades and saw the real sky for once. I'm in the market for a decent scope but I have no idea what to look for.

Back on topic

Is CB radio an option?..are there any park rangers around?

Dave-G

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor- 911- past 89yj- 2000 4 door TCV TJ
So a few years ago I rented one when traveling through Canada in my rv. Did not want to have a break down and have no cell service. It was an iridium and cost about $150 for 2 weeks. Used it a few times to check it out.
Most rental company's also sell them- so there may be able to work something out on a trial- rent to own.
The Iridium worksed great but there are some that are a lot cheaper to own now.

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I would recommend looking into the Somewear, or the Garmin InReach.
I personally use the Somewear as I prefer the app. You won't have the option to verbally speak to anyone with either unit, but they both allow you to share your location either once, or continually in specific intervals, text message, check weather updates, and provide SOS services in an emergency. Usually I will just text my wife periodic updates, and share my location when I'm out. That's good enough for me to where I've never needed the option for a full blown sat phone.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
As others have stated, the Garmin inReach is the way to go. While it doesn't allow voice conversations, you can send text messages back and forth with family, friends, or the International Emergency Response Coordination Center which monitors emergency signals from the devices. It sometimes takes much longer to get a signal with a sat phone than with a Garmin device. InReach messages are usually sent and received almost immediately though they can sometimes take 3-5 minutes.

I've used numerous generations of inReach devices, and am now using the new Garmin Montana 700i. It's a combination large screen GPS and satellite messaging device. I believe you can now activate/deactivate them periodically. I keep mine activated year-round and my plan runs a grand total of $11.95/month unless I go over my message limit...and it's still cheap if I do. I have mine loaded with BirdsEye topographic maps and satellite imagery for a huge area encompassing all of SE Utah and much of SW Colorado. I've also loaded every mountain bike and jeep trail in the county and many hiking trails. The 700i is infinitely more useful than a sat phone.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I have also made the switch from Sat phone to Garmin InReach. If you still require a satellite phone, I can highly recommend contacting:

https://www.outfittersatellite.com/

I have zero ties to them, I just got really great service. I had two phones for a number of years.

Sponsored

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Sorry to the OP.. Don't mean to Hijack but What scope do you use? I recently camped out in the everglades and saw the real sky for once. I'm in the market for a decent scope but I have no idea what to look for.

Back on topic

I’m using a celestron rasa 11” with a cgx mount and a Williams tracking scope. All zwo equip for smarts. if You’re looking to get into sky watching and don’t want all the be of alignment or other pita setup get a celestron evo scope. They’re simple. App controlled and you get some great views.

A425B6F3-7DBF-4588-B26D-F8CE06868125.jpeg

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I’m using a celestron rasa 11” with a cgx mount and a Williams tracking scope. All zwo equip for smarts. if You’re looking to get into sky watching and don’t want all the be of alignment or other pita setup get a celestron evo scope. They’re simple. App controlled and you get some great views.

Jeep Gladiator Satellite Phones A425B6F3-7DBF-4588-B26D-F8CE06868125
looks pricey

Dark_Iron_Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[2021 Sarge Mojave]
Add another recommendation for the Garmin inReach. Multiple device options for dedicated inReach to more traditional GPS units with inReach functionality. I have the Garmin 66i and use it while hunting, hiking, and general outdoorsing in the mountains.

athous

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
looks pricey
I don’t think I want to add up how much I’ve spent on it. It’s been quite a bit that’s for sure. But hey as they say you can’t take it with you

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase

Back on topic

Where I go in Death Valley the nearest Ranger is a day's away, and in the Mojave Desert time counts and a CB is of no use whatsoever.
Sponsored