Sponsored

Savagegeese’s new video on the Bronco

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Somewhat of a comparison video between the Bronco and the JL.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I like the Bronco, but I like the old school simple vibe of the Wrangler/Gladiator better.

Doesn't really matter though if Ford can't get them out in the wild I guess.

auxSwitch

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubi, FZ6
the road-ability of it is appealing (i'm comfortable with the fact that I'm going to drive 95% on the road). I'd be concerned about reliability. One way or another, it's great to see a competitor in the market. Fast forward 5 years to work out the kinks, and add a truck version, and then I'll be tempted.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the Bronco, but I like the old school simple vibe of the Wrangler/Gladiator better.

Doesn't really matter though if Ford can't get them out in the wild I guess.
Also, do understand that the "simple vibe" is just that. A vibe. Nothing more. The only thing simple on a Jeep is the suspension. In every other way, its as complex as any other new car.

One only needs to look at the Aux battery fiasco to see that is true.

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also, do understand that the "simple vibe" is just that. A vibe. Nothing more. The only thing simple on a Jeep is the suspension. In every other way, its as complex as any other new car.

One only needs to look at the Aux battery fiasco to see that is true.
I thought you can't get the below items in the Bronco. In which case, it's not just a vibe, but actually is simpler and more old school, at least in some configurations.

Solid front axle, available manual locks, manual windows, manual lights, naturally aspirated engine, windshield folds down.

Agreed on the aux battery though.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought you can't get the below items in the Bronco. In which case, it's not just a vibe, but actually is simpler and more old school, at least in some configurations.

Solid front axle, available manual locks, manual windows, manual lights, naturally aspirated engine, windshield folds down.

Agreed on the aux battery though.
You are talking about things that give a nice retro vibe.

But its still got a bult in GPS, LTE modem and telematics that reports where you are and the condition of the vehicle to the mothership on a regular basis. Its got a CAN bus and multiple computers that are single points of failure. Just like any other new car.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are talking about things that give a nice retro vibe.

But its still got a bult in GPS, LTE modem and telematics that reports where you are and the condition of the vehicle to the mothership on a regular basis. Its got a CAN bus and multiple computers that are single points of failure. Just like any other new car.
No, that's not true.

Everything I listed is not just a "vibe". They are physical things that actually work differently and are simpler.

Jeep doesn't have to be missing a CANbus or LTE radio in order to be considered more old school and simpler than the Bronco.

There's something between 0% and 100%.

Last edited:

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m not sure how much “simpler” matters. Modern Jeeps aren’t any more or less reliable than other vehicles in the road. Next to a Bronco or any other vehicle, I expect reliability as a function of simplicity to be comparable.

The only advantage I can see as a function of simplicity is that it may be easier to work on them, yourself. For the people who don’t do that, I don’t see a difference.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m not sure how much “simpler” matters. Modern Jeeps aren’t any more or less reliable than other vehicles in the road. Next to a Bronco or any other vehicle, I expect reliability as a function of simplicity to be comparable.

The only advantage I can see as a function of simplicity is that it may be easier to work on them, yourself. For the people who don’t do that, I don’t see a difference.
Less things to go wrong later and easier to work on has been my experience. Plus less power draw, lighter, etc.

I'm not advocating my preference on others, but just stating, it is a significant difference (to me) that the Jeep can have many of the simpler options that the Bronco may not allow. That may effect reliability and/or serviceability.

Just because some complication is necessary/beneficial, doesn't mean I automatically want as much as possible complication added on top of it.

That's all I'm really getting at.

Last edited:

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Besides being a ford 🤮, I thin the one thing the Bronco missed the mark on was simplicity. Electronic Transfer case shifter. While IFS is great, it’s also much more complex. Part of make the full size Jeeps great, is their HEAVY take from their roots. While yes there’s loads more tech, you can still get manual locks and windows. External door hinges. Basic track bar style straight axles. These are the things that attract people who would normally only buy older vehicles, consider and sometimes decide to just get a new vehicle because of these much more simplistic vehicles compared to what else is available these days
Sponsored