Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Thanks, I’m interested in the type that is literally your rear view mirror though. They apparently come standard on some vehicles now, or at least I’ve seen them in car advertisements.

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Thanks, I’m interested in the type that is literally your rear view mirror though. They apparently come standard on some vehicles now, or at least I’ve seen them in car advertisements.
Good morning. I installed a very similar (or possible the same) dashcam a couple weeks ago. Happy to share what I've seen so far. I have it powered thru Aux 4; probably would be better to have it permanently installed to the main battery but this was easier.

Bottom Line Up Front: Love it.

Pros:
1) Simple install (mostly).
2) Clean install (mostly; can't see the wires).
3) Great visibility (rear camera) - this was the whole purpose for me.

Cons:
1) Can't lower the driver visor (the rear-view mirror is too big).
2) The screen shows the yellow 'finding GPS signal' line often (I mounted the antenna sideways instead of right-side up as instructed); still get a good GPS signal regardless.
3) The forward facing camera is only marginally useful because the huge adaptive cruise box thing blocks some of the forward camera's view.
4) There is no internal camera (recording what's going on inside the cab) like on the Vava2k dashcam I previously used.
5) In my case there wasn't a great place to locate the rear camera, so I put it on the license plate.

IMG_6051.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Thanks so much. I had no idea the hardware was so bulky or the mirror was that much larger. I’m more inclined to hold off for now. I have a feeling they will get sleeker over time. Love the concept and it’s something I can see being helpful though.

Tango270

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computer Systems Technician
Good morning. I installed a very similar (or possible the same) dashcam a couple weeks ago. Happy to share what I've seen so far. I have it powered thru Aux 4; probably would be better to have it permanently installed to the main battery but this was easier.

Pros:

Cons:
1) Can't lower the driver visor (the rear-view mirror is too big).
2) The screen shows the yellow 'finding GPS signal' line often (I mounted the antenna sideways instead of right-side up as instructed); still get a good GPS signal regardless.
3) The forward facing camera is only marginally useful because the huge adaptive cruise box thing blocks some of the forward camera's view.
4) There is no internal camera (recording what's going on inside the cab) like on the Vava2k dashcam I previously used.
5) In my case there wasn't a great place to locate the rear camera, so I put it on the license plate.

Jeep Gladiator School me on rearview mirror dash cams IMG_6052

Jeep Gladiator School me on rearview mirror dash cams IMG_6052
Do you have a picture of the front cam's view?

I've been looking into the same thing, and also have ACC. There's another option that I think might be viable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXGMDR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A15G3ZIT5MPWSV&psc=1

Since this one has a detached front cam, it should solve the issue of the front visibility. Though it looks like the sun visor will still be a problem.

Brandmotion has one that is smaller, but I doubt the front camera will work at all with ACC, and they're also twice the price.
https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Do you have a picture of the front cam's view?

I've been looking into the same thing, and also have ACC. There's another option that I think might be viable:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CXGMDR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A15G3ZIT5MPWSV&psc=1

Since this one has a detached front cam, it should solve the issue of the front visibility. Though it looks like the sun visor will still be a problem.

Brandmotion has one that is smaller, but I doubt the front camera will work at all with ACC, and they're also twice the price.
https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/
About 1/4 of the view is obstructed.
Jeep Gladiator School me on rearview mirror dash cams IMG_6152

Outdork

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Realtor & Property Manager

Pros:
Any details on the install that you can share? Any curveballs? How did your run your wiring? I just ordered the same unit as I have a rack and RTT blocking my rear view. TIA!

Sponsored

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Any details on the install that you can share? Any curveballs? How did your run your wiring? I just ordered the same unit as I have a rack and RTT blocking my rear view. TIA!
Happy to share it all ... but I'm no professional - so don't take my advice too quickly! :)

Simply put, you'll need to figure out three things (i.e., how to route the three thing that plug in atop the mirror unit):
1) Power. I used the usb kit (linked below) thru an Aux wire (under the glovebox); better solution would probably be wiring into the fuse box in the engine compartment (i.e., permanent vs. Aux). Aux solution was just easier for me.
2) GPS. I mounted mine sideways on the ACC unit; better to find a way to mount it face up somehow to get a better signal. I might use an L-brace of some kind later. Again I just did it the easiest way.
3) Rear Camera. Most precarious. Assuming you are like me and want a permanent/always-on camera: I ran the cable across/behind the windshield (with power cable), down through the drain hole under in the passenger floormat, and zip-tied to a pre-existing cable cluster all the way to the rear - under the truck, and up through the spare tire hole. Mounted the camera on the license plate with the provided tape until I can find a better location. The view is good. I should protect this camera wire with loom tubing - I can't imagine it will last forever just hanging out under the truck as it is.

I'm sure a professional would have done it all differently, but I didn't want to wait or spend. And it works great. As noted above, only main complaints are 1) not being able to fully lower the visor 2) annoying yellow line searching for better GPS signal and 3) would be nice to not use an Aux wire.

PM if I can be of help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J3L2JN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NV0B3R3YEAKQ05GFXHTK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Outdork

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Realtor & Property Manager
Happy to share it all ... but I'm no professional - so don't take my advice too quickly! :)

Simply put, you'll need to figure out three things (i.e., how to route the three thing that plug in atop the mirror unit):
1) Power. I used the usb kit (linked below) thru an Aux wire (under the glovebox); better solution would probably be wiring into the fuse box in the engine compartment (i.e., permanent vs. Aux). Aux solution was just easier for me.
2) GPS. I mounted mine sideways on the ACC unit; better to find a way to mount it face up somehow to get a better signal. I might use an L-brace of some kind later. Again I just did it the easiest way.
3) Rear Camera. Most precarious. Assuming you are like me and want a permanent/always-on camera: I ran the cable across/behind the windshield (with power cable), down through the drain hole under in the passenger floormat, and zip-tied to a pre-existing cable cluster all the way to the rear - under the truck, and up through the spare tire hole. Mounted the camera on the license plate with the provided tape until I can find a better location. The view is good. I should protect this camera wire with loom tubing - I can't imagine it will last forever just hanging out under the truck as it is.

I'm sure a professional would have done it all differently, but I didn't want to wait or spend. And it works great. As noted above, only main complaints are 1) not being able to fully lower the visor 2) annoying yellow line searching for better GPS signal and 3) would be nice to not use an Aux wire.

PM if I can be of help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J3L2JN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NV0B3R3YEAKQ05GFXHTK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks... good info! Will check ou the kit you ordered too.

samw5

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet Silver Gladiator Rubicon
Bumping this up... trying to figure out which unit yall got. Thinking about doing something similar, mainly to get rid of the dashcam I have that keeps on craping out and getting a better rear view via a cam.

I was thinking about the AUTO-VOX unit since it appears to be closer to OEM width, just concerned the front cam won't work great with the adapter cruise control box since the cam is on the right hand side.

Thoughts?
Sponsored