JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
Reactivating this poll....is everyone really going to be okay with just one cab configuration with a 60 inch bed????
Yep
Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
With 2 kids, i need 4 doors for the next 16 years, so yeah i'm fine with a 60" bed and 4 doors.
I really believe it is wonderful for folks like yourself who will have a cab/bed format that meet your needs. I really mean that.

But, what about people like me who do not have kids home anymore and am more interested in extra bed space? Why were our lifestyle preferences ignored? I am just really disappointed that an extended cab and longer bed option was not provided - at least not yet anyway.

To make matters worse - I have a bad feeling that some who have said that FCA will reserve the midsize truck extended cab option for the rumored remake of the Dakota - may in fact be correct. If that's the case it is a shame that Jeep with all this heritage of some really innovative and interesting truck designs that they continue to tease in Moab every year (Crew Chief. FC, J12) will simply leave these opportunities in the pile of concept vehicles for show and never bring them to market. Rather, those who prefer a longer bed and extended cab are going to get some conventional Dakota offering that looks like and feels like every other manufacturer's offerings - the Ranger/Colorado/Canyon/Tacoma/Frontier...if no Jeep extended cab is ever offered it is a lost opportunity to build a unique and highly profitable platform - just my opinion...

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How so? as of now, you cannot buy a Ram 1500 with an extended cab, only quad and crew.
upload_2018-12-5_14-46-42.png

So if RAM says on their highest profit vehicle, it aint worth it, how can less volume equal more profit at a cheaper selling price? (logically it would have to be priced lower because you know... less doors and junk). Having worked on a truck program, bread and butter is crew cab, short bed 4WD.

But for a good CONVERSATION, I will pull a "if they did".
My guess would be an adaptation of the 2 door JL body, new stamping for the floor behind the driver seat to keep cost down, new stamping from the B pillar back. probably use the sheet metal from JT to ditch the swing gate. and mount it on the JLU frame to keep the proportions in shape, maybe with a 6ft bed? over 7 with the gate down. I think if you drop it on the JT frame you will end up with like an 8 foot bed and would look extremely goofy.

This would be my guess, but there is tons of testing a development that goes into different variants, its not as simple as just swapping cabs. just in vehicle dynamics there will be at least two years worth of tuning and work for maybe 8,000 a year? 12,000 max?

As someone said before somewhere on here, I hope everyone gets the Jeep truck they want. At this point it just looks like people who want a two door will have to get one aftermarket. Maybe mopar will make a kit like they did for the JK. Maybe AEV will make a conversion (it is AEV-Conversions after all). I just wouldn't hold your breath on one coming from Toledo.
I understand your point and you have a definite advantage over me in that you have worked within a truck program. But I have looked at numerous trucks in the market place. My 2015 Ram Laramie1500 or the newly redesigned 2019 1500 Rebel for example are each offered in a crew cab and quad cab. The chassis and wheel base on these trucks is very similar - I believe the wheelbase varies by approximately 4 inches between the two. Therefore, basically speaking, the space utilization within the dimensions of the chassis and wheelbase is obviously redistributed when comparing the two formats. In the major redesign that occurred, Ram consciously decided to take on the cost associated with offereing the quad cab option for the Rebel. This is even the case in vehicles like the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline. A huge departure in that these vehicles are not a body-on-frame but rather are "uni-body" in structure. Yet, wheelbase which is very similar 111 inches for the Pilot and 125 inches for the Ridgeline - and they're manufactured in the same plant in Alabama. Although the basic vehicle structure is the same, significant investment was made to support varying configurations of an SUV and truck.The same is true for Ford Expeditions and Excursions and the F150 or the Chevy Suburban and Silvedado.

These are all examples of vehicles that use the same basic structure to offer varied formats - enclosed SUV, crew cab/shorter bed truck or extended (quad)/longer bed truck. They are immensely popular across these formats are are profitable for these manufacturers. So much so that Ram after going through a major redesign cycle expanded the format of the Rebel for 2019 generation to now include the quad cab. The same is exactly true for the 2019 Ford Ranger. After selling internationally for years, Ford consciously made a huge investment in re-introducing the Ranger model here in the USA. If strictly crew cab/shorter beds are the market why are all manufacturers - even FCA themselves making sure that their newest and most innovative designs include an extended cab? I only hope this wisdom spreads to Jeep.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I really believe it is wonderful for folks like yourself who will have a cab/bed format that meet your needs. I really mean that.

But, what about people like me who do not have kids home anymore and am more interested in extra bed space? Why were our lifestyle preferences ignored? I am just really disappointed that an extended cab and longer bed option was not provided - at least not yet anyway.
Unfortunately the corporate world runs on profits. Its more profitable to make just one 4 door. If demand was/is there, i'm sure the bean counters will give the green light, but until then.......

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty

To make matters worse - I have a bad feeling that some who have said that FCA will reserve the midsize truck extended cab option for the rumored remake of the Dakota - may in fact be correct. If that's the case it is a shame that Jeep with all this heritage of some really innovative and interesting truck designs that they continue to tease in Moab every year (Crew Chief. FC, J12) will simply leave these opportunities in the pile of concept vehicles for show and never bring them to market. Rather, those who prefer a longer bed and extended cab are going to get some conventional Dakota offering that looks like and feels like every other manufacturer's offerings - the Ranger/Colorado/Canyon/Tacoma/Frontier...if no Jeep extended cab is ever offered it is a lost opportunity to build a unique and highly profitable platform - just my opinion...
We can hope that just like they leveraged their Ram platform expertise on the Gladiator they will leverage the offroad expertise of Jeep to make a nice off-road trim for the Dakota.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We can hope that just like they leveraged their Ram platform expertise on the Gladiator they will leverage the offroad expertise of Jeep to make a nice off-road trim for the Dakota.
I think you may be right - many have said that they think FCA is reserving the extended cab mid-size offering for the new Dakota rumored to be a 2021 or 22 model year. That said, I would still prefer to see an extended cab Gladiator if for no other reason than being able to have a convertible extended cab truck - that would be very cool. But if it is the Dakota than I will wait to see what that looks like....

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Please note that even though I voted for a two door, it's still not what you would want. I would like to see a short wheel base two door with a SHORT BED. For you know, improved offroad capabilities. This truck is a toy, not a work truck. Just look at the pricing and features. Given the choice, I'll take a four door or a two door. I just don't get the point of an extended cab. Just seems like the worst of both worlds to me.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I voted 2 door, extended cab, though I'd like at least a 6' or 6.5' bed. For me, the extended cab is less about passengers and more about some interior storage.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
I voted 2 door, extended cab, though I'd like at least a 6' or 6.5' bed. For me, the extended cab is less about passengers and more about some interior storage.

im with you on that single cabs are too small & i dont need back seats my fridge & camera gear & compressor go behind the seats in my colorado extra cab & my tray is 2.2 meters long its a win win

Sponsored

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
I think you may be right - many have said that they think FCA is reserving the extended cab mid-size offering for the new Dakota rumored to be a 2021 or 22 model year. That said, I would still prefer to see an extended cab Gladiator if for no other reason than being able to have a convertible extended cab truck - that would be very cool. But if it is the Dakota than I will wait to see what that looks like....
What about a TJ Brute? Rubitrux is selling 2 right now. I think there are 4-5 TJ Brutes on the open market as we speak, and honestly that’s the greatest 2 door jeep truck there will ever be. A 2 door Gladiator would be awesome, but simply won’t happen.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad3c7b627200b-800wi.jpg

Well what ya know - here is one of Ford's pictures of the brand spanking new 2019 Ranger showing its capabilities as a "Lifestyle" truck as we see the infamous mountain bicycles in the bed. Oh and please note one more thing in the photograph - IT'S AN EXTENDED CAB!!!. What ya know about that - you can have a lifestyle with an extended cab. Hopefully this realization comes to the design chief at Jeep and the JT!!!

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
I think I just saw this post, somewhere...

:asshat:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad3c7b627200b-800wi.jpg

Well what ya know - here is one of Ford's pictures of the brand spanking new 2019 Ranger showing its capabilities as a "Lifestyle" truck as we see the infamous mountain bicycles in the bed. Oh and please note one more thing in the photograph - IT'S AN EXTENDED CAB!!!. What ya know about that - you can have a lifestyle with an extended cab. Hopefully this realization comes to the design chief at Jeep and the JT!!!
Cool. Go buy it and stop trolling here.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. Go buy it and stop trolling here.
Not trolling - if you notice I am the OP for this thread. Also, I think I have been at this quite awhile with Jeep - I have been after them to build a truck since the 2005 Gladiator concept rolled on to the floor nearly 14 years ago. Many letters have been written and posts made through these years - so the troll thing doesn't apply. Lastly I have two FCA products in my garage - 2015 Ram Laramie and 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon turbo. Never had a Ford and really don't want one - just using the 2019 Ranger as a comparison. So as an FCA customer with approximately $100k in purchases of their products - I think they might like to know my opinion as when I make my next vehicle purchase I would like it to be a Jeep Gladiator Overland EXTENDED CAB.
Sponsored