Service 4wd system

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My service 4wd light comes on when driving in 2wd. Sometimes it doesn’t come on for days or weeks, sometimes it stays on for a few days and other times it turns off the next time I start it up. The really weird thing is half of the time the back up sensors quit working when the service 4wd light comes on.

I’ve brought it to the dealership three damn times to have them fix it and they say they can’t fix it because it doesn’t throw a code. So frustrating. They don’t even try. I’ve had it in four times for my rough idle issue also and same deal. They don’t try to fix it. I’ve even had @JeepCares set up and appointment. Jeep cares was good with my other issues, but not this one.
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
My service 4wd light comes on when driving in 2wd. Sometimes it doesn’t come on for days or weeks, sometimes it stays on for a few days and other times it turns off the next time I start it up. The really weird thing is half of the time the back up sensors quit working when the service 4wd light comes on.

I’ve brought it to the dealership three damn times to have them fix it and they say they can’t fix it because it doesn’t throw a code. So frustrating. They don’t even try. I’ve had it in four times for my rough idle issue also and same deal. They don’t try to fix it. I’ve even had @JeepCares set up and appointment. Jeep cares was good with my other issues, but not this one.
We're sorry to hear our teams were unable to assist you, NC_Overland! If the Jeep is currently with the dealer for this and you'd like to discuss further, send us a PM.

Kate
Jeep Cares

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram

I’d be looking to contact a lemon law attorney if I was you. My truck was doing something similar but now it’s progressed to where if I drive it for more than 10-15 miles it has shifting issues. Today I put it in neutral at a light and it would t go back in gear. Turned it off and on and it allowed it to go in gear but still has other issues and more creeping in every day. Dealer just got the control module in so next week it’s scheduled to be replaced.

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

Had mine in shop last week

995E05B1-92AC-4B69-9E1E-743232FB11A3.jpeg

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I’d be looking to contact a lemon law attorney if I was you. My truck was doing something similar but now it’s progressed to where if I drive it for more than 10-15 miles it has shifting issues. Today I put it in neutral at a light and it would t go back in gear. Turned it off and on and it allowed it to go in gear but still has other issues and more creeping in every day. Dealer just got the control module in so next week it’s scheduled to be replaced.
Hah. They replaced the entire rear end, steering gear, etc. it drives great now, just idles badly in park till it warms up and it gets that stupid 4wd light.

I think It’s too old and too many miles for a lemon law case and I don’t want to deal with getting another one. It’s a 2020 with 27k miles on it.

Sponsored

Jawjadawg

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 21 Gladiator Mojave
I just got my 21 Mojave back today after it was at the dealership for 3 days to address the Serv 4WD lite on my dash. They ended up replacing the 4WD Control Unit behind the rear seat. It lasted 40 MI and will be going back next week...it has less than 3k on it

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I just got my 21 Mojave back today after it was at the dealership for 3 days to address the Serv 4WD lite on my dash. They ended up replacing the 4WD Control Unit behind the rear seat. It lasted 40 MI and will be going back next week...it has less than 3k on it
They fix it?

Jawjadawg

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 21 Gladiator Mojave

NateZoinks

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Laser Tech
New here, picked up a 2021 JTR in Oct 2021 with 22 miles on it. Got the first serv 4wd light at the end of Jan, and the second and third time on the 27th of Feb. Miles were 4000 and 4800 respectively. Called the dealership and they said probably the drive train control module behind the rear seat. Will take it in March 30th.
When this happened, I didn’t get any other lights, but I did lose 4wd. I tried 4low and it was using the 4:1 gear reduction but the front was not spinning. All three times I shut it off for 1 min and restart cleared it.
I will update when Jeep looks at it. I’m not happy that it loses 4wd when this happens, and it only has 4800 miles on it.

2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
3.6 motor
8 speed auto
Full time 4wd transfer case
No mods

Nate

6EE608B3-F93C-47C6-9720-C1D19AA3E1C6.jpeg

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Not to bring up an old thread / post.

But I got the 4WD SERV light on my 2021 Gladiator Mohave a couple weeks ago. 22,000 miles and this Jeep has been a cherry. We love this Jeep truck. Well into our 2nd year of ownership. It's perfect for everything we need, when we need a little pickup truck with capability and an amazing ride.
Took it to a dealer, and I got this picture from the service adviser...

Jeep Gladiator Service 4wd system 14428

Last edited:

Sponsored

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
So, dealer says it looks like a off-road damage.
I looked closely and there's bite marks on the coupler!

My lovely wife likes to bring home stray dogs. I was out of town and those stray dogs chewed on that FAD point until I got back a week later.

Dealer charged nearly $900 for the repair. Because it wasn't covered under warranty.

1st, I have no issue paying for the repair. We did pay for it. It's repaired and our Jeep truck is fine.
2nd, My wife learned that loving stray dogs can get expensive.
3rd, Jeep Quality was never an issue.
4th, Check under your Jeep before you haul it off to the dealer. I'm glad that the repair is warrantied. But man I could have fixed it myself for less than $100.

Last edited:

caraddictionisreal

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Freedom
Occupation
Sales
I just had the Serv 4wd light pop on yesterday paired with Parksense disabled. I’ve been hearing a rotational squeal at low speeds after the truck has been parked for as little as 30 mins. Sound Seems to go away after driving for few mins. I have a Sport S, auto, 3.6, and max tow with 30k. Was in 2wd when the light came on.

is This similar to your experience? Did the repair fix both issues?

a
Well, I have described an issue I had with the front axle shaft system on my Overland in the leaking axle thread. Essentially, the stub shaft was too short and did not fit the splined collars properly. There was a rotational metal sliding noise, similar to that of a hanger bearing that is worn out, but originating in the axle housing.

Was at the dealer for repairs for 19 weeks straight.
After multiple attempts to get the correct part from FCA they gave up and changed out the entire front axle assembly. Apparently FCA kept sending the parts for a gas engine model. So I suspect there was an issue with identification at the source between Dana and FCA.
Picked it up last week and it has no issues since.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Not yet they had to order another part and I will drop it off later this week fingers crossed
Did you ever get this fixed? They replaced the transfer case control module on mine, but it didn't fix the problem.
Sponsored