First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
My "Service elctronic throttle control" CEL continues. Most recently happened while towing at 70 degree outside temp and oil temp was below 240. The dealer says I am working it too hard and If I push FCA on it they will likely void my remaining warranty. I am considering selling at this point.
I've got a similar, yet different issue. Mine is a "Service Shifter" error, started getting it when towing, but now will happen on a hot day, no towing, going up my steep driveway from a dead stop. Engine temps normal.

Some Background... 34k mi on my jeep, put 37's on in March, towed 4.5k trailer to Moab wheeled it, and towed back, 2k mi of towing with no problems.

Problems started just a couple weeks ago after I had a cracked radiator when on a trip to Glacier NP. Saw it and shut it down before engine temps climbed high enough to throw any codes or derate. Had it towed to a dealer for a new radiator.

My "Service Shifter" issue started the day after I got it back with a new radiator when heading into Canada. But it did it only a couple of times when towing and encountering a very steep (6% or greater) hill when having to downshift to 4th or 3rd. It would throw the error code, and if I didn't let up on the throttle, it would throw all kinds of errors and go into limp mode. As mentioned above, shutting down, waiting and restarting would clear the problem... as would just simply cresting the hill and going down hill.

Had it in to three dealers now (two in Canada, and now back with my home dealer) as it has progressively gotten worse until It is now happening when not towing.

In my case, I can't help but think its related to the cracked radiator situation, and is probably a harness, a sensor, or the TIPM that got overheated in that cracked radiator situation, and is shorting or malfunctioning on me whenever that area of the engine gets even slightly hot. Its done it with engine temps at 210 and oil temps in the 220s

I had one Canadian dealer put on a diagnostic tool on the OBDC port, the techs call it a "flight recorder", to record more info than what is stored on board, I gave my home dealer a 57 page printout, and a large PDF file of all the error codes.

We'll see if my home dealer can figure it out.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Service shifter is probably the harness by the downpipe rear passenger under the batteries. Super common issue.

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
Service shifter is probably the harness by the downpipe rear passenger under the batteries. Super common issue.
Yes, I saw a couple posts on that on the JL forum for ecodiesels, where the harness was somehow misrouted on the wrong side of the heat shield next to the EGR and got hot. I asked two of the dealers to check that, and they both said "it looked ok". I'm sure they didn't buzz any lines to verify though.

Right now my dealer has a star Case opened with FCA, and they are starting to swap out components.

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Mine did this. Took it to the dealer. He diagnosed it in 1 day. It was the reluctor wheel. The magnet are known to come off and then it cant sense crank position. When this happens it goes into limp mode. If you ckear the cel or reset the pcu it will run normally for a while and go right back. When it fails it starts reading cam position on 21 and up models so you can drive in limp mode. Older 3.0s just die and leave you stranded. There is a recall on it for the 3.0 but they only put tge upgraded reluctor wheel on if your fails. He replaced the reluctor wheel and crank position sensor and all is good now.

Mkelley

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business owner
I have the same issue that started in 2021 at 7000 miles every time I tow a trailer. Everything is fine and then I got the lightening bolt, few other CEL lights, and I only had about 1/2 throttle it felt like.... I took it to the dealer and they said there is a TSB recall for the P00AF issue. I was happy to hear it is a known issue. It sounds like it is just a software update.... Honestly I look forward to being able to tow a trailer and get a real temperature derate. Mine would also "pop" at 240 ish oil temp while everyone else could get to 268. I will update everyone on my dealer results.
I am having the same problem and the dealership can't seem to fix. Even after calling manufacture.. Only happens when I pull my sxs on 7x12 trailer over 60MPH.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I am having the same problem and the dealership can't seem to fix. Even after calling manufacture.. Only happens when I pull my sxs on 7x12 trailer over 60MPH.
sounds like the same issue. No over heating. No melted wire harness. One dealer says I have to prove it. I have no chance in proving that as it happens sporadically. Right now I think it throws the CEL when towing and while a exhaust regen happens. The only way to prove that is by monitoring the DPF % with a scan tool.
Sponsored