ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
Thank you...

When you test drive you start the shift of letting the dealer get in control. That is there goal to get in control and browbeat into spending a lot of money on lift time window tint etc.

You can walk into a dealer that closes at 9 pm and the finance guy the last guy you see is still there to finalize the deal at midnight. My next door neighbor was a GM for a major Chevy dealer when I lived out on the E coast. He has a massive heart attack when led to him quitting the business. The stories he would tell me of the ways they could get money was eye-opening.

TIP: [This does not apply 100% of the time but you have a better chance of getting a good deal.] 2 basic ways dealers make their money in the car biz: 1) VOLUME! These dealers depend upon moving a LOT of cars and you can get some unbelievable deals. I have bought as much as 12+ % UNDER Invoice. Where they make their money is the holdback and hitting volume goals, sell more make more. They will often try to hit you with lifetime window tint etc, but you can say no! 2)Smaller dealers that are volume focused look to make their money by getting you to pay as close to MSRP as they can + that Nitrogen in your tire scam (defeat that by asking them if they know how much nitrogen is in the air we breathe, which is free...78.9% LOL almost 80% of what is inside your tire is already nitrogen, tell them to take the N2 hose and put it where the sun don't shine!). These dealers drive a HARD bargain, tough to get them down from MSRP, they also want you to finance it with them. Generally, your best bet is high volume, every screaming deal I have ever got was from an HV dealer.

Some dealers ONLY own the "Sign"! Like "Chev" and he leases out everything else: Used cars + Parts + New car sales + Make Ready + Warranty service + Non-warranty repairs. Each of those can be separate companies that pay rent and % of profits to be there! Common for the Used car sales to be leased out.

Your best deal is at a small HV, country dealer. Having said that, these dealers generally most deal in trucks. In fact, I know one that sells his trucks at invoice minus all incentives, but he makes a killing on his cars. Rancher buys his truck and sends his wife and kids down to the dealer to buy cars, I know many dealers here in Texas that do business that way.
Super Interesting!! Thanks!

Do you know what dealership in Annapolis that was?
Sponsored

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
So I want to test drive a rubicon gladiator (like many of you), so I went to one dealership and he was really cool. Said I couldn't test drive it because it already has 76 miles and they don't like to get them over 100. He then sat down with me and we built one out in the system (for fun). He also said if I get him a quote for 6% under invoice, he would see if he could match it. Super chill, nice, salesman.

Now... the next dealership I went too... not so much. I'm not naming names, because I happen to live .5 miles from them and they service my current vehicle. Just need to vent :(

So... I get a text that the Rubicon arrived!! I asked if I could come test drive it, they said what time works for me. I get there and the guy takes me out to see it. We didn't really talk at all, so I look around a little bit and then I ask "can I test drive it?". "No, we only let people test drive it if they are going to buy it", then proceeded to tell me about the cheaper options. Well, I don't know if we are allowed to curse in this forum.. so ******************** you can fill in the blanks. I am a young woman, but I make enough that I have 3k left over after bills every month.. so I could buy one right now if I wanted. Just makes me so angry that he just assumed I wasn't going to buy it (wouldn't after that comment) and that I couldn't afford it. **** him!

This happened to me when I was getting my renegade 4.5 years ago. Had a sales guy basically tell me that because I was a woman I didn't need the trailhawk. The owner of the dealership called and I'm pretty sure that guy got fired.

For reference, I'm in Maryland and could easily take a trip out to Tri-City, but if I can get a good deal locally, I would rather do that. I'm also in no hurry to get my gladiator, I want orange anyway and it's not available yet. I LOVE my renegade (my dad and I put a lift kit on it a couple of years ago) (Offroading video (pre-lift-kit): ), but I am excited for a gladiator. It's been my dream truck ever since I was a kid (I know it didn't exist yet.. but I had an orange toy truck that looked super similar). :)

Thanks for listening!! :)
That sucks. Dont take it personal. All sales reps are jerks. Liars, and whatever else comes to mind. I stopped by don whites in timonium to look at a sport they have on the lot on Sunday morning. It was great. Not one sales guy around. I took pictures in the rain enjoyed the peace. I am waiting for gator or punk'n to order mine. When it is available I will go with whomever got the best under invoice price in Maryland or Pennsylvania. The best revenge will be for you to buy gladiator from a different dealer and when it comes in do a few burn outs in whatever dealers lot that treated you poorly.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired

I cannot remember, I did not buy out there but I drove one to work and I got a lot of questions and coffee discussions about driving a Jeep all over the US. That was back in my 'here n there' consulting days. I left out of Dallas, Tx on 2 Jan 85 and rolled back in 27 Apr '86 with almost 100k on the clock and I bought that Jeep the week of Christmas 84. I drove that Jeep across the US twice. Texas to Seattle, Seattle to Virginia and many many states in between doing short term gigs. Lived off the expense acct LOL.

Great time in my life, totally by myself looking out the windshield on America. I would get paid for the travel and time, so I took one route going there another coming back always looking for scenic routes. Got to drive Hwy 1 Ca aka PCH from Los Angeles to British Columbia and back...that is Bucket list!!!!!

Here is what I would do: Head out on Sat for long drives in the country passing thru towns that have Jeep dealers, you will find a dealer who wants your business and will work to get it.

On my quest to buy a Siver Anniversary Corvette I did this. I working down in Ga at the time and I drove thru a little town called Buena Vista Ga, not even a stop light. But there was a GM dealer, family owned since 1929. There I met Mr Bill, the son of the son. Mr Bill was CEO, Pres, GM, SM, Sales guy, the wife was Admin and his son was the mechanic. No showroom, just a carport with a new undriven 1964 Chevy II sitting under it.

I told Mr Bill I wanted to order a Corvette. He looks at me and says: Humm, not sold a Corvette here since 1957! But I can get you one if you want one. At a time when Silver Anniversaries were going for $5000 over MSRP I got one for $500, over Invoice. I bought trucks and Corvettes from Mr Bill for years, until he sold the "sign' back to GM. They paid him $75,000. We became great friends, I flew in and he would pick me up in Atlanta, we would go hunting on his farm, I would stay a couple of days and then head out to where ever I was in the US.

Mr. Bill sold trucks and mostly ordered cars. He was a BIG Volume dealer, selling all over the US and the farmers would send wives and kids down to order a new car, which is where he made his money. His dealership was a true GM dealership, he could sell ANYTHING GM made. Few dealers can do that, but he was grandfathered in going back to the 1920's.

His farm adjoined the Carter family farm as in Jimmy Carter. He grew up with them, went to school with them. SO I asked one time what did you think about Jimmy? He laughed and said no one believed he would be President or Gov and the smart one was Billy.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Next time take a male friend with you or a male relative. They won't look at you or treat you like that.

DenverGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ stock, manual, over-sized tires, soft top, half doors

Sponsored

awas

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara, Jeep Grand Cherokee,

Adams Jeep on west street. They are good. That’s where I’m ordered my Gladiator. Called me as soon as they got a pre-spec Gladiator in. When I showed up, they handed me the keys and we took it for a test drive. TJ is my saleguy, great guy and super knowledgeable about Jeeps.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adams Jeep on west street. They are good. That’s where I’m ordered my Gladiator. Called me as soon as they got a pre-spec Gladiator in. When I showed up, they handed me the keys and we took it for a test drive. TJ is my saleguy, great guy and super knowledgeable about Jeeps.
Thanks!!! :)

DebT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I’ve been driving Jeeps since 1994 and have off-roaded (is that even a word?) for a long time. Back in November, I stopped by a Jeep dealer to ask that they contact me as soon as the order banks opened for the Gladiator. The guy told me there was no such thing as a Gladiator! Ha! I told him he needed to do his homework!! Yeah, if I go to a dealership with my husband, I usually get ignored. Just like if I pay for a meal with my credit card, the server-male or female- almost always hands the card back to my husband. I always think “did you look at the name on the credit card” dips$&t? Ha!.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been driving Jeeps since 1994 and have off-roaded (is that even a word?) for a long time. Back in November, I stopped by a Jeep dealer to ask that they contact me as soon as the order banks opened for the Gladiator. The guy told me there was no such thing as a Gladiator! Ha! I told him he needed to do his homework!! Yeah, if I go to a dealership with my husband, I usually get ignored. Just like if I pay for a meal with my credit card, the server-male or female- almost always hands the card back to my husband. I always think “did you look at the name on the credit card” dips$&t? Ha!.
:) You sound awesome!
Sponsored