Ballooning Inventory- sales slowing?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Exactly. If they would just standardize the trims a bit, and simplify some of the options I bet production costs would be lower and hopefully msrp as well. Imagine how complex the production scheduling has to be- the 3 different radios and audio groups alone is ridiculous!

It really seems like they would have been better off to offer only a couple trims, say Sport S and Rubicon, with streamlined options- especially when they said they only planned 75-100k per year. The flooding of dealer lots with terribly optioned units sure looks like a terrible decision. I cant imagine a worse vehicle to handle this way- considering how particular/ specific most Jeep buyers are.
Never even thought of the logistics of this. It has to be a pain building having those radios, 2 different lighting options, technically a third on the active safety group, And factory steel bumper requires LEDs making another complexity in place. Wiring for the additional camera, color matching some things, then four different trims at that all with different mixing of these options.

All this yet you can't order the Mopar lift from the factory of all things, something that seems like a no brainier should be a build option

Things is all the things they are wanting to charge bit by bit for are basically standard on a lot of vehicles now. We were looking at the Accords which my wife likes a lot as we have had two of them over the years and they have been bullet proof. All of this stuff is standard now. Personally I don't want all that stuff but damn to charge for LED lights and other things is really a bit much. I can see the 8.4 as an upgrade but if you upgrade it in the Sport S they clean your clock. I found a Gobi Sport S had a load out almost what I was looking for but didn't have auxiliary switches and had a 5" screen. I was thinking come on FCA Auxilary switches should be a no brainer standard in these things and 5" screen is ridiculous for a vehicle that has back up and could have forward facing camera. Seriously 5" screen should not even exist.
And this is my biggest issue, I drove my 2014 Sienna the same day I drove the jeep in the dark, and was like wow these standard lights are better than the garbage from a car 5 years newer. Like how isn't it standard, It seems like Jeeps way of offering a ton of customization (awesome if you order from the factory) is really backfiring on this one. With my Sienna it was 4 trim levels and I think one or two upgrades only available like a wireless key as the only individual upgrade options. Made it way easier to find what I want and buy off the lot, first dealership I checked, lol. And the crazy thing is I am sure that tiny screened one you found had some expensive feature on it that really makes you question them even more, thats how I was finding everything.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Autonation in N. Columbus GA has at least 30 on the lot, only 2 Rubicons. Your unicorn will be a 6-spd Gobi or Gator Rubi methinks-

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Never even thought of the logistics of this. It has to be a pain building having those radios, 2 different lighting options, technically a third on the active safety group, And factory steel bumper requires LEDs making another complexity in place. Wiring for the additional camera, color matching some things, then four different trims at that all with different mixing of these options.

All this yet you can't order the Mopar lift from the factory of all things, something that seems like a no brainier should be a build option

And this is my biggest issue, I drove my 2014 Sienna the same day I drove the jeep in the dark, and was like wow these standard lights are better than the garbage from a car 5 years newer. Like how isn't it standard, It seems like Jeeps way of offering a ton of customization (awesome if you order from the factory) is really backfiring on this one. With my Sienna it was 4 trim levels and I think one or two upgrades only available like a wireless key as the only individual upgrade options. Made it way easier to find what I want and buy off the lot, first dealership I checked, lol. And the crazy thing is I am sure that tiny screened one you found had some expensive feature on it that really makes you question them even more, thats how I was finding everything.
It actually didn't have a ton of expensive stuff like many. No adaptive Cruise or blind spot detection although I wouldn't mind the blind spot detection in Houston Traffic but its not a necessity. It had cold weather package which living in Houston isn't really a necessity but I could live with it during the summer and crank up the AC if the top is on to cool it off before getting in it on 115 days. But no accessory switches, no 7 inch screen, nor apple/android link which is really handy to have in getting around traffic. I suppose you might be able to add them but something like that should really be a standard option at least to me it should. But regardless of some minor things will just have to work around them and either pay a bit more or pay a bit less and sacrifice some stuff.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
It actually didn't have a ton of expensive stuff like many. No adaptive Cruise or blind spot detection although I wouldn't mind the blind spot detection in Houston Traffic but its not a necessity. It had cold weather package which living in Houston isn't really a necessity but I could live with it during the summer and crank up the AC if the top is on to cool it off before getting in it on 115 days. But no accessory switches, no 7 inch screen, nor apple/android link which is really handy to have in getting around traffic. I suppose you might be able to add them but something like that should really be a standard option at least to me it should. But regardless of some minor things will just have to work around them and either pay a bit more or pay a bit less and sacrifice some stuff.
That isn't too bad then, though I do question whoever sent the cold weather package to Texas instead of a larger screen, that would get a lot more use. Like do they even check the market they are sending to? That stuff is expensive to add. I can get them not thinking everybody is customizing with the aux switches, but that package is so cheap to add to a build and yet so costly to add in aftermarket.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
That isn't too bad then, though I do question whoever sent the cold weather package to Texas instead of a larger screen, that would get a lot more use. Like do they even check the market they are sending to? That stuff is expensive to add. I can get them not thinking everybody is customizing with the aux switches, but that package is so cheap to add to a build and yet so costly to add in aftermarket.
The aux switches should just be standard as cheap as they are. I installed the oem ones in my wife’s JL and it was a pain! Dual tops is a common option here on the JL- when we bought my wife’s it was almost hard to find one optioned very well without dual tops. We originally bought color matched hard top only and ended up buying the premium soft top later (ouch)- therefore I know I want dual tops on the JT. Per the Jeep inventory search within 150 miles there are 861 JTs, only 3 are Rubicons with dual tops. This is only filtering by Rubicon and dual top- nothing else. If you exclude Rubicon and only look for dual top there are 22. Seems crazy rare for the NY market. Maybe Jeep thinks the soft top looks goofy when open too?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know a lot of folks down here when the temperature drops below 60 they are freezing (LOL).

prototyp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW i3
I know a lot of folks down here when the temperature drops below 60 they are freezing (LOL).
I was going to say the same thing. It kills me coming from WI to see these people all bundled up in winter coats and gloves when it's 50 out. I'd have the top off and the cold weather package running.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I’m surprised the inventories are piling up because they seem to be getting alittle better priced...and better deals out there

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
The aux switches should just be standard as cheap as they are. I installed the oem ones in my wife’s JL and it was a pain! Dual tops is a common option here on the JL- when we bought my wife’s it was almost hard to find one optioned very well without dual tops. We originally bought color matched hard top only and ended up buying the premium soft top later (ouch)- therefore I know I want dual tops on the JT. Per the Jeep inventory search within 150 miles there are 861 JTs, only 3 are Rubicons with dual tops. This is only filtering by Rubicon and dual top- nothing else. If you exclude Rubicon and only look for dual top there are 22. Seems crazy rare for the NY market. Maybe Jeep thinks the soft top looks goofy when open too?
I hear you! Every jeep I have purchased new had the DT option. I didn't see any DT optioned Rubicons when I went looking (SE PA). I went with a hardtop only hoping the aftermarket would come up with a better looking soft top.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m surprised the inventories are piling up because they seem to be getting alittle better priced...and better deals out there
There are some deals but a bunch of the one's that they are offering better pricing on are loaded with a lot of stuff I suppose a lot of folks don't want like collision detection, bling spot, etc.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was going to say the same thing. It kills me coming from WI to see these people all bundled up in winter coats and gloves when it's 50 out. I'd have the top off and the cold weather package running.
I had a friend from Ohio when he moved here many years ago was like that and after being here for about 6-8 years he was just like the rest all bundled up and cold when it dropped below 60. He moved back to Ohio some years ago and has once again built up his cold resistance and gotten thicker blood it seems

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
There are some deals but a bunch of the one's that they are offering better pricing on are loaded with a lot of stuff I suppose a lot of folks don't want like collision detection, bling spot, etc.
Without things like bedliners or tow packages. On a truck.....

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I had a friend from Ohio when he moved here many years ago was like that and after being here for about 6-8 years he was just like the rest all bundled up and cold when it dropped below 60. He moved back to Ohio some years ago and has once again built up his cold resistance and gotten thicker blood it seems
I am 4 years out of Ohio, still act like a typical southerner when it snow or when it gets below 40, but luckily the 50s and 60s don't bother me at all. So far topless everyday this month that has been above 60. lol Honestly the way people crank up the AC down here during the summer gets me worse, I have to bring a hoodie everywhere during the summer.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I seems like it would be complicated to manufacture vehicles with so many different option choices. But consider not long ago, almost everything was an individual option. Dealers had only a few cars on their lots. Most people ordered a car and individually checked each option from a very large list. On the assembly line, almost everything was a custom order and they had to follow that options list all the way down the line. And they did a pretty good job of it with little or no computer assistance.
Sponsored