ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
As an independent professional-trade woman I pissed off a lot of dealers.... I don't dress fancy, prefer to drive my beat up rusty 2002 loud diesel excursion half the year (until the weather is nice enough to bring out my Comanche or my JT arrives) and seem to end up knowing more than them about their products. I am also not afraid to call them on stuff. If they ignore me I am sure to tell them to pay attention. My guy even stands back and ignores them if they try to talk to him instead... my favorite was when the sales guy tried to tell me gear ratios on a wrangler were adjustable through programming the computer. There was also the time when I needed a reliable commuter for my masters program and he flat out told me I couldn't afford anything in the showroom.... Fun times... and of course didnt buy from him. And three years later here I am buying a JT!

The women at dealerships and automotive anything hate me just as much... I've been told many times that I'm a threat to them most likely because they thought they were special for being "Making it in a man's world".... and in comes this rough n tumble no nonsense ED nurse who did her homework, knows her $#!+, and also turns wrenches on the side.

I don't try to pick these fights it just happens. Im no better than anyone i just don't have time to beat around the proverbial Bush.

Age, gender, income, nationality.... doesn't matter. If you are not the customer they imagined, they are not the dealer you want.

/rant.
I hate when women hate on other women. I see this in the software field all the time. Thanks for sharing!!
Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I have NEVER asked to drive and I have found over the many years I have been buying cars that if I don't ask they will and LOL I have NEVER taken them up on it, that drives them a little crazy.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, @ShikGluon, for the initial post. 'Preciate the discussion folks!

I'm just glad that I'm not the only woman on here. I want to be a better educated Jeep owner (this JT will be my fourth Jeep) and am predisposed to like all of you just 'cause you're here!
Yay!! More women!!! I always get excited when I see a woman driving a wrangler! Like, yes we can like offroad vehicles too craptastic salesmen! lol

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have NEVER asked to drive and I have found over the many years I have been buying cars that if I don't ask they will and LOL I have NEVER taken them up on it, that drives them a little crazy.
Wait.. so you buy cars without test driving them?

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
I'm more of a truck gal :D
LOL, nothing wrong there...In fact, I had a new Jeep at the time and I was working a gig down in Miami as the consulting CTO for a company to build their IT division and design their data center architecture. I met this gal and we had a couple of dates when I got the call from Chev that my Z06 was to be delivered to the Museum and I need to make arrangements to pick up. So I asked her if she wanted to go away for the weekend, she said yes, we flew to Nashville, then got a rental picked up my Z and headed S to Miami. GREAT way to break in a car and engine. LOT of fun!

Sponsored

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Comanche, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2008 Jeep WK 3.0crd
Occupation
Card-Player
Stop by my in town dealer today to get a price comparison the sales guy had the nerve to tell me he assumed I was waiting for someone to meet there before dealing... straight answer " and who did you think I was going to wait for?"

He got the point quickly and apologized.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stop by my in town dealer today to get a price comparison the sales guy had the nerve to tell me he assumed I was waiting for someone to meet there before dealing... straight answer " and who did you think I was going to wait for?"

He got the point quickly and apologized.
Oh Dam! Good for you for setting him straight!

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, nothing wrong there...In fact, I had a new Jeep at the time and I was working a gig down in Miami as the consulting CTO for a company to build their IT division and design their data center architecture. I met this gal and we had a couple of dates when I got the call from Chev that my Z06 was to be delivered to the Museum and I need to make arrangements to pick up. So I asked her if she wanted to go away for the weekend, she said yes, we flew to Nashville, then got a rental picked up my Z and headed S to Miami. GREAT way to break in a car and engine. LOT of fun!
Haha, sounds like a fun roadtrip!! Roadtrips are the best!! I'm looking forward to road tripping in my JT with the top off, wind in my hair and music up loud.

lilloco

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Comanche, 2002 Ford Excursion 7.3, 2008 Jeep WK 3.0crd
Occupation
Card-Player
Oh Dam! Good for you for setting him straight!
No nonsense... wins the game.

After that I just got straight to the point showed him my windshield sticker for my incoming truck told him "build me this JTR for what x and y dealers are willing to do" handed to sales manager and got my quote.... done and done.

Now to see if the dealer I ordered from will agree to 3 quotes below MSRP.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No nonsense... wins the game.

After that I just got straight to the point showed him my windshield sticker for my incoming truck told him "build me this JTR for what x and y dealers are willing to do" handed to sales manager and got my quote.... done and done.

Now to see if the dealer I ordered from will agree to 3 quotes below MSRP.
NICE!!!! I may need to find a new dealership around here so that when I am ready to buy I can start from scratch and do that.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Wait.. so you buy cars without test driving them?
Yea, no need, new car if there is something wrong warranty going to fix it. I have never owned a sedan in my life, I drive Jeeps, Corvettes and F 350 trucks...I did deviate a couple of times MB 550 SL a Lexus Sports Coupe, 2 John Deers and this

Harley (9).jpeg

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, no need, new car if there is something wrong warranty going to fix it. I have never owned a sedan in my life, I drive Jeeps, Corvettes and F 350 trucks...I did deviate a couple of times MB 550 SL a Lexus Sports Coupe, 2 John Deers and this

Harley (9).jpeg
Nice bike!!

I guess if you know how the car with drive, I can see not test driving a brand new one. I haven't driven a truck before, so that will be new for me.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible

Harley (9).jpeg
Yeah I bought my JK without driving it. If it's new and you already know how they handle, it doesn't seem essential to me. I had driven several JKs before so it wasn't important to me.

I would never do that with a used car though. Who knows what you'd miss in that case.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Nice bike!!

I guess if you know how the car with drive, I can see not test driving a brand new one. I haven't driven a truck before, so that will be new for me.
Thank you...

When you test drive you start the shift of letting the dealer get in control. That is there goal to get in control and browbeat into spending a lot of money on lift time window tint etc.

You can walk into a dealer that closes at 9 pm and the finance guy the last guy you see is still there to finalize the deal at midnight. My next door neighbor was a GM for a major Chevy dealer when I lived out on the E coast. He has a massive heart attack when led to him quitting the business. The stories he would tell me of the ways they could get money was eye-opening.

TIP: [This does not apply 100% of the time but you have a better chance of getting a good deal.] 2 basic ways dealers make their money in the car biz: 1) VOLUME! These dealers depend upon moving a LOT of cars and you can get some unbelievable deals. I have bought as much as 12+ % UNDER Invoice. Where they make their money is the holdback and hitting volume goals, sell more make more. They will often try to hit you with lifetime window tint etc, but you can say no! 2)Smaller dealers that are volume focused look to make their money by getting you to pay as close to MSRP as they can + that Nitrogen in your tire scam (defeat that by asking them if they know how much nitrogen is in the air we breathe, which is free...78.9% LOL almost 80% of what is inside your tire is already nitrogen, tell them to take the N2 hose and put it where the sun don't shine!). These dealers drive a HARD bargain, tough to get them down from MSRP, they also want you to finance it with them. Generally, your best bet is high volume, every screaming deal I have ever got was from an HV dealer.

Some dealers ONLY own the "Sign"! Like "Chev" and he leases out everything else: Used cars + Parts + New car sales + Make Ready + Warranty service + Non-warranty repairs. Each of those can be separate companies that pay rent and % of profits to be there! Common for the Used car sales to be leased out.

Your best deal is at a small HV, country dealer. Having said that, these dealers generally most deal in trucks. In fact, I know one that sells his trucks at invoice minus all incentives, but he makes a killing on his cars. Rancher buys his truck and sends his wife and kids down to the dealer to buy cars, I know many dealers here in Texas that do business that way.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
NICE!!!! I may need to find a new dealership around here so that when I am ready to buy I can start from scratch and do that.
When I lived in Annapolis there was a dealer in the area that some of the folks at work said treated them right!
Sponsored