sexist.. ageist.. sales dude :(

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020 Punk'n
So I want to test drive a rubicon gladiator (like many of you), so I went to one dealership and he was really cool. Said I couldn't test drive it because it already has 76 miles and they don't like to get them over 100. He then sat down with me and we built one out in the system (for fun). He also said if I get him a quote for 6% under invoice, he would see if he could match it. Super chill, nice, salesman.

Now... the next dealership I went too... not so much. I'm not naming names, because I happen to live .5 miles from them and they service my current vehicle. Just need to vent :(

So... I get a text that the Rubicon arrived!! I asked if I could come test drive it, they said what time works for me. I get there and the guy takes me out to see it. We didn't really talk at all, so I look around a little bit and then I ask "can I test drive it?". "No, we only let people test drive it if they are going to buy it", then proceeded to tell me about the cheaper options. Well, I don't know if we are allowed to curse in this forum.. so ******************** you can fill in the blanks. I am a young woman, but I make enough that I have 3k left over after bills every month.. so I could buy one right now if I wanted. Just makes me so angry that he just assumed I wasn't going to buy it (wouldn't after that comment) and that I couldn't afford it. **** him!

This happened to me when I was getting my renegade 4.5 years ago. Had a sales guy basically tell me that because I was a woman I didn't need the trailhawk. The owner of the dealership called and I'm pretty sure that guy got fired.

For reference, I'm in Maryland and could easily take a trip out to Tri-City, but if I can get a good deal locally, I would rather do that. I'm also in no hurry to get my gladiator, I want orange anyway and it's not available yet. I LOVE my renegade (my dad and I put a lift kit on it a couple of years ago) (Offroading video (pre-lift-kit): ), but I am excited for a gladiator. It's been my dream truck ever since I was a kid (I know it didn't exist yet.. but I had an orange toy truck that looked super similar). :)

Thanks for listening!! :)
Sponsored

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
So I want to test drive a rubicon gladiator (like many of you), so I went to one dealership and he was really cool. Said I couldn't test drive it because it already has 76 miles and they don't like to get them over 100. He then sat down with me and we built one out in the system (for fun). He also said if I get him a quote for 6% under invoice, he would see if he could match it. Super chill, nice, salesman.

Now... the next dealership I went too... not so much. I'm not naming names, because I happen to live .5 miles from them and they service my current vehicle. Just need to vent :(

So... I get a text that the Rubicon arrived!! I asked if I could come test drive it, they said what time works for me. I get there and the guy takes me out to see it. We didn't really talk at all, so I look around a little bit and then I ask "can I test drive it?". "No, we only let people test drive it if they are going to buy it", then proceeded to tell me about the cheaper options. Well, I don't know if we are allowed to curse in this forum.. so ******************** you can fill in the blanks. I am a young woman, but I make enough that I have 3k left over after bills every month.. so I could buy one right now if I wanted. Just makes me so angry that he just assumed I wasn't going to buy it (wouldn't after that comment) and that I couldn't afford it. **** him!

This happened to me when I was getting my renegade 4.5 years ago. Had a sales guy basically tell me that because I was a woman I didn't need the trailhawk. The owner of the dealership called and I'm pretty sure that guy got fired.

For reference, I'm in Maryland and could easily take a trip out to Tri-City, but if I can get a good deal locally, I would rather do that. I'm also in no hurry to get my gladiator, I want orange anyway and it's not available yet. I LOVE my renegade (my dad and I put a lift kit on it a couple of years ago) (Offroading video (pre-lift-kit): ), but I am excited for a gladiator. It's been my dream truck ever since I was a kid (I know it didn't exist yet.. but I had an orange toy truck that looked super similar). :)

Thanks for sharing your experience. They're idiots and fools. We will vote with our dollars and take our business elsewhere!

Love my Renegade. Can't wait to add my Gladiator!

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
Sadly this seems to be fairly common. My wife and I have been car shopping together a lot in four different states and no matter who the car is for the salesperson is always working me and ignoring her. Even the young woman who sold me my JK acted like my wife didn't exist and her concerns or questions went unanswered unless I asked them myself. I finally yelled at one guy selling us an Acadia a few years ago and asked for someone else to finalize the deal. Not putting up with it anymore. You want my money? Respect us both.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
That sucks, but the upside... idiots tend to "out" themselves pretty quickly and you can now move on easily enough.

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
It's not because of your age or sex. It's his high level of douchebag salesman that ruined your experience. As a 48 y/o Male, with 5 pricey cars in my garage, I have also been told that there are no test drives without pre-approved financing, a negotiated price etc.....

Sponsored

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
It's not because of your age or sex. It's his high level of douchebag salesman that ruined your experience. As a 48 y/o Male, with 5 pricey cars in my garage, I have also been told that there are no test drives without pre-approved financing, a negotiated price etc.....
Hard to say without us having been there. There are a lot of good salespeople out there but that doesn't mean there aren't bad ones.

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
I’m a guy, and I’ve experienced douchery from dealers. I went into a bmw dealership years ago, no one would look at me, finally, a young guy walks over, he’s only been there for a few weeks, he helped me find a car I liked, and I paid cash. The “professional” salesmen looked stunned. I just smiled at them. And drive off in a brand new BMW.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
My wife had a salesman tell her that she should it a white Jeep and they can put pink accents on it for her. She is absolutely a girly girl but pink is not in her list of favorite colors. That was 25 years ago and she still gets ticked when it comes up.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone!! <3

When I am ready to get my gladiator, I will get a loan from my credit union and they give a check to give to the dealership like cash. So whoever is nice to me and gives me a good deal will get my business.

@beelzebot --> Can we clone you?! Need more good men in this world. :)

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I’m a guy, and I’ve experienced douchery from dealers. I went into a bmw dealership years ago, no one would look at me, finally, a young guy walks over, he’s only been there for a few weeks, he helped me find a car I liked, and I paid cash. The “professional” salesmen looked stunned. I just smiled at them. And drive off in a brand new BMW.
But they hate when you pay cash! Can't make extra off financing :CWL:.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was the way it was phrased. He didn't even ask if I wanted to buy it, just assumed I wasn't going to buy it and that I needed to look at the cheaper options. Had he asked if I was going to buy it, what price range I was looking for, etc... and then said no you can't test drive yet, I wouldn't be upset... but don't assume. As I said in my post, I can afford a 60k rubicon, no problem. But given my age and that I am a woman, some people just assume the opposite.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Just let the sales manager know. I’m sure he’d appreciate the opportunity to provide training to his sales staff.

OP
OP
ShikGluon

ShikGluon

First Name
Zaza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just let the sales manager know. I’m sure he’d appreciate the opportunity to provide training to his sales staff.
Oh, good idea!! Thanks!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I am a young woman, but I make enough that I have 3k left over after bills every month.. so I could buy one right now if I wanted. Just makes me so angry that he just assumed I wasn't going to buy it (wouldn't after that comment) and that I couldn't afford it. **** him!
LMAO, sorry, this is so fitting.