First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Thanks again I believe it worked, now have to re install in Jeep.
Ever have one of those moments where you would swear you did that.
I know I did exactly what that said yesterday and it did not work.
My senior moments seem to be lasting longer and longer.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is another recommended adapter that works well with JScan for everything short of the MX+ adapter…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTKSCE...t_i_HT0B870BNDJKYPJCRYKY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Kevin
Yeah, compact, decent reviews, but out of stock. It's one to consider. Not everyone needs to spend the money for the MX+

This one is legit but people really should watch for the cheap knock-offs out there - a hand-held scanner I was looking at 2 or 3 years ago has been copied and is selling cheap on eBay and Amazon and the company has been warning people about it. It's selling under the same name as the legit product.
This one isn't it - looks legit, but do beware............

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Just got my cable and plan on installing it next week. Removing the wire and connecting the Taser isn't the problem, its putting those cables back into the module. Very difficult if your hands are larger than a toddlers. Looking forward to easier removal and installs before dealership visits

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Just got my cable and plan on installing it next week. Removing the wire and connecting the Taser isn't the problem, its putting those cables back into the module. Very difficult if your hands are larger than a toddlers. Looking forward to easier removal and installs before dealership visits
Its killer, i spent over an hour and still could not get it. Finally asked my wife and she was able to get them in.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I bought the extension cables........... now I don't have to reach clear up to that box/connectors.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
That's why I bought the extension cables........... now I don't have to reach clear up to that box/connectors.
Does the extension cable work with the red security bypass cable? I will probably only make a few basic changes once or twice and so will not need to use this very often. However if the extension cable would make this a lot easier I would probably most go ahead and get it as well.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Does the extension cable work with the red security bypass cable? I will probably only make a few basic changes once or twice and so will not need to use this very often. However if the extension cable would make this a lot easier I would probably most go ahead and get it as well.
Yes - the extension from z-automotive (sp?) works with the red/orange bypass cable.
I have at times left the bypass cable in place when I wanted to use jscan's functions like controlling idle RPM for winching - but the extension cable set makes taking the bypass cable back out, or putting it back in later a piece of cake.
I appreciate the extension now even more that I'm losing some functionality in my left hand (I have literally worn it out)
The extension also allowed me to place the thicker, less flexible bypass cable in a better place to strap it to a dash brace with velcro when I want to leave it in place.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup ordered the extensions with my Tazr as well
I'd recommend them for tazer owners as well - makes it a whole lot easier if you want to unmarry and remove before taking it in for warranty work or some PCM or other flash.
Since the dealer was supposedly working on CAN bus and module communication issues on my JT earlier this month - I figured it safer to remove the security bypass cable and bluetooth adapter before taking it in so they couldn't blame anything on that.
(*the good is that I've not had a single beep or MIL or other odd thing happen since they worked on it)
IMO, it's very worth the money - we spend hundreds of times more on other stuff than what that cable set costs.

Sponsored

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes - the extension from z-automotive (sp?) works with the red/orange bypass cable.
I have at times left the bypass cable in place when I wanted to use jscan's functions like controlling idle RPM for winching - but the extension cable set makes taking the bypass cable back out, or putting it back in later a piece of cake.
I appreciate the extension now even more that I'm losing some functionality in my left hand (I have literally worn it out)
The extension also allowed me to place the thicker, less flexible bypass cable in a better place to strap it to a dash brace with velcro when I want to leave it in place.
So the way this works is you unplug the factory security cables from the OBD port, plug in the extension cable to the OBD port, the security by pass cable (for example red,) into the other end of the extension cable, and then the new ObD 2 device into the red bypass cable? When you are done programming or whatever you then unplug the OBD2 device and then the security bypass cable and then leave the extension cord plugged in? Is this correct? Or does the bypass cable (red) plug into the OBD port and then the extension into the bypass cable? What do you do with the factory cables you unplug from the OBD port and what do you leave plugged in when you take it to the dealer for service?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the way this works is you unplug the factory security cables from the OBD port, plug in the extension cable to the OBD port, the security by pass cable (for example red,) into the other end of the extension cable, and then the new ObD 2 device into the red bypass cable? When you are done programming or whatever you then unplug the OBD2 device and then the security bypass cable and then leave the extension cord plugged in? Is this correct? Or does the bypass cable (red) plug into the OBD port and then the extension into the bypass cable? What do you do with the factory cables you unplug from the OBD port and what do you leave plugged in when you take it to the dealer for service?
Nothing to do with the OBD port.
It's two cables that plug into a security gateway - a sort of firewall for vehicles. It allows reading but not writing and blocks certain accesses. The bypass cable bypasses the security gateway.
So you remove two cables plugged into that device.

http://jscan.net/fca-security-gateway-module-basic-info-and-location/

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's two cables that plug into a security gateway - a sort of firewall for vehicles. It allows reading but not writing and blocks certain accesses. The bypass cable bypasses the security gateway.
So you remove two cables plugged into that device.

http://jscan.net/fca-security-gateway-module-basic-info-and-location/

My mistake. I knew that but I had a late night brain fReese. But at the risk of being dense, what order to you plug into the security gateway and what do you do with the original wires you pull out of the gateway etc?

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
My mistake. I knew that but I had a late night brain fReese. But at the risk of being dense, what order to you plug into the security gateway and what do you do with the original wires you pull out of the gateway etc?
So the original wires you pull out of the gateway, plug into the red extension harness you see in the video, which you then plug your OBD device into.
Nothing goes into the gateway while this is attached, the gateway is bypassed by the extension/OBD device. You are effectively rendering useless the security gateway and OBD reader under the dash when you unplug the original wires.
I actually leave my extension and OBD connected all the time, Jeep runs fine. Dealer that fixed my truck, took it off and threw it in the passenger seat and plugged the original wires back in the gateway, never said a word to me.

Gmanjeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So the original wires you pull out of the gateway, plug into the red extension harness you see in the video, which you then plug your OBD device into.
Nothing goes into the gateway while this is attached, the gateway is bypassed by the extension/OBD device. You are effectively rendering useless the security gateway and OBD reader under the dash when you unplug the original wires.
I actually leave my extension and OBD connected all the time, Jeep runs fine. Dealer that fixed my truck, took it off and threw it in the passenger seat and plugged the original wires back in the gateway, never said a word to me.
Thanks. So, I assume the z automotive extension cable plugs into the cables you take out of the gateway and then the red cable plugs into the z automotive extension and then the Obd2 plugs into the red cable?
Sponsored