Short threaded “posts” on rear axle

GobiGuy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Widow
They are just on either side, above the differential. Mine have nothing threaded into them. Can anyone tell me what these are? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
It’s for the axle shock that some manual transmission sports come with. “Green71”, pointed it to us and a few got them. I did and unbelievably it improved my Mojave on the sand at dune crossings I used to get a hop at times and that has not happened since and rear has a “more solid” feel. Not an option if the frame in front of differential does not have the bracket to mount other end of shock…….Jack
PS: in link above Rockrawler calls it a “shutter shock” that has to be removed for their truss.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I think Jeep refers to it as a Axle Hop Preventer, or something like that. Originally, it was installed on all the trucks with manual transmissions. I don't know if they still install them. I bought all the parts and installed one on my Overland years ago. I pulled it off and kept it to install on my High Altitude. I ended up with a extra bracket that attaches to the top of the Differential to hold the shock. They accidentally shipped two, and didn't want the extra one back.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think Jeep refers to it as a Axle Hop Preventer, or something like that. Originally, it was installed on all the trucks with manual transmissions. I don't know if they still install them. I bought all the parts and installed one on my Overland years ago. I pulled it off and kept it to install on my High Altitude. I ended up with a extra bracket that attaches to the top of the Differential to hold the shock. They accidentally shipped two, and didn't want the extra one back.
i've strongly considered adding it to my JT because I get horrible hop in the right snow conditions, I can imagine some getting that hop in sand.
It is indeed for rear axle hop under the right conditions - the pinion tries to climb the ring gear, winding things up, compressing the bushings, then the tires let loose a bit and it unwinds, then the tires grab again, and it winds up again and so on. It's like "wheel hop" on a leaf spring car - I installed "traction bars" - what some call "slapper bars" on my first Javelin to prevent it knocking your teeth out under heavy acceleration.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer