Should I lift the Gladiator or not?

CyclopsDad

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I have only 8500 miles on my 2022 HA Gladiator. I estimate 5500 of those miles were on the interstate @ 75 mph and only 10 miles were done off road. What I really appreciate about my current wheel/tire combination is how quiet they are. Long trips with noisy off road tire is rough. In the near future when retire I will consider bigger AT tires to have more fun off road, but for now my wife and I enjoy the quiet ride to retirement.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The molar 2" lift will not void your warranty, and I've been told it will drive as well as a stock Rubicon. (Not sure about the driving part as I have not done it yet....)
No lift will void your warranty, that's false facts that people just say for whatever reason. Unless you change the stock components to after market components then it will be covered under warranty. Using this logic would mean larger tires would void your warranty which would wear out stock components faster than a lift would

tastetickles

First Name
Yik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JT
Occupation
IT guy
I wouldnā€™t do anything to it if Iā€™m not gonna trail or go rock climbing with it, because itā€™s a chain effect thing. U lift it, it cause some effect ā€œperceived negativesā€ then you start correcting the new ā€œproblemā€ then it becomes an endless money pit. I learn this on my Subaru, fix every damn thing thatā€™s likely to happen from what I read on forum. In the end I wished I had kept it stock and it would have rode much better.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Read my mind. I too debated this conundrum and decided to stay where I am with just a light spacer lift to compensate for bumper and winch. I may still Add 3/4ā€ to the rear but that would be it. I too am retired and getting in and out would be a challenge anything higher than stock. It tows great, mileage is fine and capabilities match my uses. I tapped out on mods long ago and if I was 20-30 years younger Iā€™d be broke as a joke. Manā€™s gotta eat!

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I have had many Jeeps and have lifted every one of them to install bigger tires. Some of these Jeeps were dedicated for off road, not a daily driver. Others were daily drivers.
I have owned a 2020 Max Tow packaged JT since October of 2019. I drove it in stock form until the stock small 245 tires became worn out, around 40,000 miles.

I always thought I would stay with the JT stock. I would get 22+ MPG out of the gasser 3.6L even with the 4:10 gears that came with the Max Tow from the factory. I did take it off road in sand and some twisty trails with the street tires and it did really well, surprisingly well. The only thing for me was that I wanted an Overlander for trips out west as well as here in TN and Michigan. I started with a Rubicon Express basic lift and 37ā€ BFG AT KO 2 tires in stock Wrangler Rubicon Wheels with 2ā€ added back spacers. Roof rack and James Baroud XXL roof top tent, a tazer mini to recalibrate transmission shifts and speedometer was added. My MPG dropped on interstate trips with cruise control to 17 MPG loaded for overland travel.

after about 45,000 miles and my trip out west with 500+ lbs in the bed and towing up to 7000lbs, the rear springs sagged and were constantly on the rubber rear bump stops. This gave the JT a bounce ride!

So I completely changed the suspension to the Overland 3.5ā€ kit with everything including Falcon reservoir shocks, and steering stabilizer. I have a winch bumper and a 10,000 lbs capacity Smitty Built winch, I still kept the 37ā€ BFG AT KOā€™s with stock 4:19 gearing on the JT and loaded for trips with same gear as previous trips I get around 14.5MPG traveling 75mph. The ride is fantastic and the JT has the proper rake with the rear higher than the front. I use mine as a truck towing and hauling so I wanted the extra rear height to become level with 7000lbs towing loads which I still occasionally do. The RTT always stays on the Jeep. When not carrying full overland load and my wife (110lbs) I get around 15MPGā€¦ I get the same mileage with my wife shotgun BTWšŸ˜.

So, I would do this same lift and set up I have now. The BFG AT KO2ā€™s I love, also had them on many other rigs and they are quiet and help with MPG IMOP, and I have 94,000 miles on the JT with half tread depth after heavy loads running 30lbs of pressure and 54,000 miles on them. Off road the BFG AT KO 2ā€™s are great in everything I do, except the occasional TN Clay mud, but that is why I have a winch. The ride is excellent with theFalcon Adjustable shocks and heavy duty steering. The cost was not inexpensive though and IMOP well worth the money.
The JT is my daily driver even though O have a Mustang 5.0, as I donā€™t run that car much. Just joy rides with the wife in the weekends (2013 with only 30,000 miles on it).

All of that said if you are doing street driving and donā€™t mind the stock look, stay with what you have for about 7 MPG more per gallon and less cost. IMOP if you buy a lift, plan on spending another $7000.00 to get it right. My JT rides better than stock form.

the only thing I would add to the stock Jeep would be smaller BFG KO2s, and a simple work style bed rack and bed cover. The rack lets you cart longer loads without needing a trailer.

thatā€™s my opinion for your style of driving.

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Unless you're an absolute penny pincher (are you really though if you own a gladiator??), The gas mileage concern is practically null and void as these things get crap gas mileage stock.

I drive 20,000 miles a year. If I get 20mpg, I'll spend $3300 on gas at $3.30/gal. If I get 18mpg by adding a lift, I'll spend $3666. 3 hundred bucks over the course of a year which for me is pretty negligible. The gas mileage argument trying not to lose 1 precious mpg is mostly just positive self-talk imo.

So LIFT IT BRO! I'm going the 2" frankenlift route. It should cost about 3 grand.. that's shocks,
springs, control arms, bumps, brake lines, track bars, end links, big steering. Should be a good DD setup that articulates the way I want.

Also, welcome back to the dark side Phil šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
Also, welcome back to the dark side Phil šŸ˜Ž
Hi Josh!
I wasn't sure if anyone would remember that I had a white 21 Gladiator Rubicon before. Then switching to the 22 Ford Ranger Tremor and getting back about 10 grand on trade to help support my need to take care of my one dog's knee surgery's. Damn that was expensive to help her walk. This new black Sport S is a great Jeep and as much as I would like to lift it and after reading all these replies, I may just leave it stock, for now anyway and do a small level with a spacer lift later. Yes, the $$$ saved on gas mileage does make a difference when not working anymore and being retired. Plus, the wife is going to retire soon and wants to travel. Dammit...LOL!!! Now if the economy gets better and I go back to work, then you never know what may happen. Pics below and thanks for the welcome back :like:

Jeep Gladiator Should I lift the Gladiator or not? Image 8778
Jeep Gladiator Should I lift the Gladiator or not? IMG_31088
Jeep Gladiator Should I lift the Gladiator or not? IMG_3187

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I wouldnā€™t do anything to it if Iā€™m not gonna trail or go rock climbing with it, because itā€™s a chain effect thing. U lift it, it cause some effect ā€œperceived negativesā€ then you start correcting the new ā€œproblemā€ then it becomes an endless money pit. I learn this on my Subaru, fix every damn thing thatā€™s likely to happen from what I read on forum. In the end I wished I had kept it stock and it would have rode much better.
If done correctly that's not always the case. It also depends on your use. When my JTR was bone stock, and it was just a 'normal' vehicle it worked...ok. But as soon as I put a canopy on it, the stock suspension was not great. Added a fridge, even worse, and by the time I had a tent on it was pretty bad. With the components and direction I personally chose, for me it is significantly better than had I left it stock. So it really depends on individual uses - and also being absolutely honest with yourself on what the actual use will be.
Sponsored