Small Oil Leak (3.6L)

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Noticed a couple drops in my garage last week, crawled under the jeep and saw more on the passenger. Dealer appt next week, but has anyone seen anything similar and can give me an estimate on possible causes? hasnt been in for an oil change since January. Stock Mojave with the 3.6L and 9100 miles.

Jeep Gladiator Small Oil Leak (3.6L) 20230526_150602

Jeep Gladiator Small Oil Leak (3.6L) 20230526_150558
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Sorry, I cannot tell anything from your photo. I know that the camshaft sensors in the front and back of the valve covers are known to weep oil. You might want to take a look at those.

Okambot

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave White
Occupation
E&I Tech Oil Field
Looks like when they replaced my valve cover gasket that was faulty

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
The leak may be from the timing cover. If the oil film is heavier towards the front, look at the passenger side of the timing cover near where the serpentine belt idler pulley is mounted. In my experience with Pentastar engines (over 12 years), it is not uncommon for the RTV sealant on the passenger side of the timing cover to not seal properly, resulting in a leak. Most of the time, the "leak" is very minor seeping, but occasionally there is a full fledged leak that will flow down to the oil pan rail and then drip onto the floor. Since your Gladiator is still under warranty, let the dealership have the fun of pulling and resealing the timing cover. It actually isn't a bad job, but to do it correctly requires removing the valve covers. Also, the valve cover gaskets are occasionally not installed correctly, and leak. Usually this shows up on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine, but the driver side valve cover gasket can be defective also.

Lexicus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Software Developer
I had this, they replaced the harmonic balancer and the seal. The leak was very small, showed up after a long drive to an off road park and back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! Hoping its something they can knock out quickly so I can utilize it for a camping trip in a few weeks.

OP
OP

pmh076

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update- Dealer said it was from the undercoating that was applied in January. I highly doubt that the undercoating, which didn't drip for literally 5 months, ~2000ish miles suddenly decided it was time to start dripping in only one location. They added dye, so we'll see if it leaks again or not
Sponsored