Sponsored

So had a bit of a pucker moment today.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Just curious but does anyone know the limits on body roll in degrees that we should start worrying?
Was out wheeling today with my son when I took a bad line on the last obstacle before going home. Truck went from 20 degrees to 24 degrees roll. I stopped then inched a foot more when the truck went to 26 degrees. Thought I was on the verge of rolling onto my side. I got out of it but was wondering what is the ”crap my truck is on its side” degrees in roll.
Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Excellent question.... I would like to know this too.

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Just curious but does anyone know the limits on body roll in degrees that we should start worrying?
Was out wheeling today with my son when I took a bad line on the last obstacle before going home. Truck went from 20 degrees to 24 degrees roll. I stopped then inched a foot more when the truck went to 26 degrees. Thought I was on the verge of rolling onto my side. I got out of it but was wondering what is the ”crap my truck is on its side” degrees in roll.
This would be info to know on a stock rubicon and another set up like someone with a 2” mopar lift and 37s (which would be different).

I’m sure the is angle is greater for those who are stock, or those with wider wheel/tires. Taller and narrower makes the center of gravity higher, thus more inclined to tip.

I wonder if the slightly wider axels of the rubi and max tow makes a difference? Hypothetically it would based on physics...?

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
There are so many different variables to it also. Is your vehicle on an incline, how is it loaded, how fast are you going, is the roll a direct angle or is it 20 degrees roll, 15 degrees pitch. How is your Suspension flexed, and what angle is your steering at. I will say unscientifically, 30 is usually safe if your smooth on breaks and throttle.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
One place I have been several times its like 28. Most I have seen is 30 & in order to avoid body damage I dont intend to go any farther then that.

OP
OP
GoVR46

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are so many different variables to it also. Is your vehicle on an incline, how is it loaded, how fast are you going, is the roll a direct angle or is it 20 degrees roll, 15 degrees pitch. How is your Suspension flexed, and what angle is your steering at. I will say unscientifically, 30 is usually safe if your smooth on breaks and throttle.
At the time I was moving at 1 mph, pitch was probably 3 degrees going down hill. Im on a 3.5 inch lift with 35 inch tires, offset is -12 so a bit wider then stock. Still scared me cause I wasn’t sure how far is too far with my setup.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Like the Daystar spacer lift says - any lift will change the angle at which tip-over will occur. You lift it, you change the center of gravity. That means any JT will be slightly different depending on lift, - and like others said here, weight, where that weight is - is it up high, down low? A heavy winch and bumper increases weight, but down low, which is good.
It's also going to matter if it's a Sport max tow, Rubicon, or a non-max tow sport or an Overland - that 1.5" width difference can matter. (yeah, Daniel - it would matter. Wider is more stable. Like a lever, that weight on the high side has more leverage with a wider vehicle to hold things down. Take an Overland and put wider axles under it and it's going to be more stable)

Sponsored

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
At the time I was moving at 1 mph, pitch was probably 3 degrees going down hill. Im on a 3.5 inch lift with 35 inch tires, offset is -12 so a bit wider then stock. Still scared me cause I wasn’t sure how far is too far with my setup.
On all side hills you should be thinking “ what are my options and risks”. On anything more than 15* roll I weigh in if things go bad, will I just flop, or am I tumbling a few hundred feet? Do I have room to turn down and throttle out? Who do I have in the rig. Ultimately, I always listen to the pucker factor though.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On pitch AKA up or down you will have oil flood/starving engine before it's going to flip in most cases with stock vehicle and all cargo strapped down... Going up. "Roof racks ECT all bets off" Now on roll nothing is set in stone of at what point do you roll. Years back a goal was for 1 in wider for 3 in of lift. Now a big part of the equation is everything strapped down and tight (not moving) and where. A good fear of side slope is a good thing, and if your ever in one you want everything strapped down not moving. A side flop is bad, sheet metal damage, a rollover Hospital or worse likely.
Part of the reason JK and now JL, JT are as wide as they are is to cut down on roll over 60in track TJ/ XJ vs 65in of JK and later.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
In my experience people will chicken out before they are to the point of roll over. I have had my TJ to the point where I was having trouble staying in the seat and it really wasn't unstable yet. All of the roll overs I have seen occurred in a dynamic situation where many variables were at play. As mentioned the same vehicle would roll at different points based on load and where that load is. If you are feeling uncomfortable then best to back off a little. The more you find yourself in those positions the more confidence you will build and a better feeling for the "limit".

OP
OP
GoVR46

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The more you find yourself in those positions the more confidence you will build and a better feeling for the "limit".
With my luck "finding my limit" will be me, truck on its side, saying "found it".