Sponsored

Spare tire worth the upgrade?

Upgrading/upgraded spare or keeping stock?

• Total voters

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Been a discussion a couple of times here - all spare Gladiator wheels are 17", on Sport, Overland, Rubicon, etc. Makes sense for Jeep - buy bulk 17" steel wheels instead of a few of this and a few of that. Tire the same outside diameter, just on a different rim.
I bought 1 Overland wheel from a forum member back in 2020. He sold his wheels one at a time for people like us.
Just left the dealership. They had ordered an R18 rim to put the new Yoko AT on, but got sent an R17. Then they told me the spare tire lift mechanism would not work with a R18 matching aluminum rim. So I left getting a refund on the 5th Yoko tire I had bought. Were they mistaken or just making stuff up? Can I lift and retain a standard size Overland tire and R18s aluminum rim into the spare tire well with the existing clasp and cable mechanism?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just left the dealership. They had ordered an R18 rim to put the new Yoko AT on, but got sent an R17. Then they told me the spare tire lift mechanism would not work with a R18 matching aluminum rim. So I left getting a refund on the 5th Yoko tire I had bought. Were they mistaken or just making stuff up? Can I lift and retain a standard size Overland tire and R18s aluminum rim into the spare tire well with the existing clasp and cable mechanism?
Don't know the specifics of that rim - but if it's got a hole large enough for the cable and end that's on the cable to go through............
The STOCK Overland rim works fine.
Someone with a rim that the cable end didn't fit through modified the end by trimming some off the sides so it would slip in through the hole and then lay flat again once it was through got it to work ok.

Reactions: DBT

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Thanks! What they were saying did sound a little funny. Guess I'll go to DT for a new rim and another Yoko AT.
Sponsored