Sponsored

Spare tire worth the upgrade?

Upgrading/upgraded spare or keeping stock?

• Total voters

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving an older thread. I plan to run 37's (12:50 X 17). Will a 37 fit in the spare tire carrier? Can the 37 tire be mounted on the stock Rubi rim if I wanted to save money on not buying a 5th expensive rim? I do not plan on doing any serious rock climbing. Mostly city driving.

TIA.
Please note that one man's 37 may be 36.5 while another man's 37 is 36.8"

That being said, there are multiple threads where someone states the maximum size tire that will fit up there. (I *THINK* that was 37 - but again, maybe their 37 was on the small side.

A 33" tire is actually about 32.7, a 35 isn't always actually 35, usually smaller, and so on.

I absolutely prefer a matching spare rim and tire - and try to order my vehicles that way when possible. You mix in 5 tires in rotation and extend the life of the set, you have a spare that's worn to close to the same size as those on the truck instead of a new tire on one side vs. a tire that's about to be replaced on the other side of a limited slip differential.
Plus - as my wife has found twice with her Jeeps - she usually hits road debris about .75" to 1" from the edge of the tread, the "no fix" area for most legit stores. Last time it was about 1/2" from the edge of the tread. The shops ALL said sorry, no repair - and I tried 3. I finally went to the local Chevy dealer, showed them my wife's Jeep and showed them the full size matching spare and told them if they'd fix her tire we'd put that in the back as the spare and run the spare on the Jeep. They fixed it with a note on the work order "for spare only" - without a matching spare we'd have been buying one new tire.
I bought a 5th rim (Overland) and 5 new tires. I'll rotate in the 5 tire rotation as the Jeep owner manuals say "should be done" when you have a matching spare.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded the wheel to match. Iā€™ve always preferred a 5 tire rotation. It also keeps me in check making sure the spare itā€™s not flat. I had that happened to me 30 years ago and learned from the experience
Another EXCELLENT reason - otherwise, how many keep check on a spare that's out of sight?

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
If you're changing tire size on a Jeep/4wd you should absolutely budget for all 5.

Y'all with LSD will torch the clutch packs before you get to the tire shop. I guess if you have a rear flat you could swap one of the front tires to the rear to maintain proper height and put the stock tire on the front but honestly tires aren't the place to cheap out. If you can only afford 4 then this probably isn't the right hobby for you.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
If you can't afford to do it right, you sure as hell can't afford to do it half-assed.

How poor people stay poor: Wasting money fixing problems of their own making.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I bought new rim and tire 37" and deflated so it would fit under the truck. I have the ARB compressor so no problem to air up if needed. Maybe the rim purchase was a waste of money? Thinking about 5 wheel rotation. Bought tires from Discount tires and not sure if they do 5 tire rotations.
My local DT does 5 tire rotation for me - no fuss. Iā€™ve run 5 of the same tire/wheel for a long time. Whether itā€™s worth it depends how you use your rig I guess. Iā€™d be concerned about damaging drive line if I were to put on one small tire and travel a ways in 4WD. Iā€™d buy 5 same tires before buying a winch - but thatā€™s just my SOP.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
If you're changing tire size on a Jeep/4wd you should absolutely budget for all 5.

Y'all with LSD will torch the clutch packs before you get to the tire shop. I guess if you have a rear flat you could swap one of the front tires to the rear to maintain proper height and put the stock tire on the front but honestly tires aren't the place to cheap out. If you can only afford 4 then this probably isn't the right hobby for you.
If you can't afford to do it right, you sure as hell can't afford to do it half-assed.

How poor people stay poor: Wasting money fixing problems of their own making.
This is the wrong hobby for me and Iā€™ll stay poor.

I run the stock 33ā€ spare with my 35s.

LOL, yā€™all are too funny!

Iā€™m poor because Iā€™ve got one kid in college and two in private school.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is the wrong hobby for me and Iā€™ll stay poor.

I run the stock 33ā€ spare with my 35s.

LOL, yā€™all are too funny!

Iā€™m poor because Iā€™ve got one kid in college and two in private school.
I believe in what Ann Landers said - or was it Dear Abby, doesn't matter, they were sisters...... parents don't owe their kids a college tuition. Once HS is done, parents' obligation is over.

I paid my own way, my son paid his own way (and is now far better off than I am financially - he and his wife own businesses in Korea and other jobs besides)

Private school is a choice - but these days it's a choice a lot easier to make!! Not sure I would want kids in certain public schools.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I believe in what Ann Landers said - or was it Dear Abby, doesn't matter, they were sisters...... parents don't owe their kids a college tuition. Once HS is done, parents' obligation is over.

I paid my own way, my son paid his own way (and is now far better off than I am financially - he and his wife own businesses in Korea and other jobs besides)

Private school is a choice - but these days it's a choice a lot easier to make!! Not sure I would want kids in certain public schools.
Totally agree on private school!! What they teach in public school is appalling. We prefer a classic education.

Weā€™re only paying $15k/yr towards college. The other $10k she has to work for or get loans. (She only gets $$ if 3.0+.)

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none

It' a choice. Student loans are a huge burden with the astronomical cost of college now adays. Fortunately I still have a few more years before then. Took my oldest out of private school as the cost was too much for 2 kids (3k/mo). Figured better to save that money for college. Luckily they are in really good public schools. Funny thing though, public school isn't exactly free either. There so many fun raising events with auctions, it's not even funny. For example, dinner with the principle starts at $2500 and reserve parking for $3500/semester!

edit: What are we talking about again? Oh yeah, spares. I run a 37 spare on some cheap quadratec 17x9 rims. Better be safe than sorry, especially when I have my family with me.

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I just keep the stock spare wheel and upgraded to 35ā€ tire. I donā€™t have a problem with a 4 wheel rotation just wanted to be able to keep an equal size tire in the event of a non-repairable flat while driving. Unless you are doing a 5 wheel rotation why waste the money on a matching spare unless you get a good deal on one or you move the spare to a tire carrier for looks.

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I kept the spare wheel, but upgraded my tire to match the rest:)

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I initially didn't get a 5th tire when I purchased my 315s, but now that I'm going on ~8000mi road trip in a couple weeks, I'm thinking otherwise. If I was around home, if I got a flat, just put the spare on the front, and limp home.... Not really possible if I'll be miles away.

Probably going to get a 315 put on the steel spare, but I'd ideally like a 5th wheel to add to the rotation. Hard to find a Willys wheel, though.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I paid $270 OTD for a Rubicon wheel at the dealer (mounted, balanced, installed, tax). I would think a Willys wheel would be the same.

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Just got in five same size Yokohama Geolander A/Ts (255/70/R18) for the Overland, and the mechanic gave me the bad news that for some weird reason it's a thinner, steel wheel R17 spare rim. Dealership. Only charged $175 for a matched rim, so at least now I'll have a spare that isn't slightly different diameter. Just didn't expect the spare on a Jeep would be different.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just got in five same size Yokohama Geolander A/Ts (255/70/R18) for the Overland, and the mechanic gave me the bad news that for some weird reason it's a thinner, steel wheel R17 spare rim. Dealership. Only charged $175 for a matched rim, so at least now I'll have a spare that isn't slightly different diameter. Just didn't expect the spare on a Jeep would be different.
Been a discussion a couple of times here - all spare Gladiator wheels are 17", on Sport, Overland, Rubicon, etc. Makes sense for Jeep - buy bulk 17" steel wheels instead of a few of this and a few of that. Tire the same outside diameter, just on a different rim.
I bought 1 Overland wheel from a forum member back in 2020. He sold his wheels one at a time for people like us.
Sponsored

Reactions: DBT