AzRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THREE Gladiators, and a JL Wrangler
Hi !

Ok so this is where Im at.... I've been on here maybe a month now and learned a lot from many of you.

We have 3 Gladiators .... 2 Rubicons, and a Sport S Max Tow........and also a 2018 JL Wrangler UL Sport.
(Pictures below)

The background story is..... in the last 2 weeks we have played "musical chairs" with the wheels and tires of all four vehicles.

My new factory Rubicon wheels and tires went on to our sons Sport S Gladiator when I got my new wheels and 35's.
Wife saw it and said " I WANT THAT! "..... and a few days later she also got new (different) wheels with 35"s on her Rubicon.
Then, her factory 33's (tires only) went on our other sons Wrangler. It already has aftermarket wheels.

So now, everyones speedometers are off.

The dealer the we just purchased the two new ones at said..... "it $300 PER JEEP for us to download software from MOPAR and re-flash your computer for the new size tires this will fix everything and it will all be accurate."

So to get a second opinion, I called another Jeep dealer here in the Phoenix area and talked with a service advisor and he said " huh.... never heard of anything like a software flash, I'd tell you to look aftermarket... I think Superchips makes something to adjust your speedo to the new tire size."

Then all of you on here recommend the Tazer / Tazer Mini. (I don't know if its two different models, or if its the same thing) but I've seen the videos on you tube and it has to be married and left in the jeep. Also when I checked today on Amazon its $329 each.

I have no real interest in changing any of my factory settings beyond getting the speedometer accurate.... and my last experience with an aftermarket tuner was on a Eco-boost F150 and it was bad!!! It never ran right with backfiring and check engine lights, it was never quite right after that. I do understand that was completely different because it was software engine tunes .... not the same thing... but since then, I don't really like plugging into and changing the factory software and leaving it on 24/7.

SO... finally on to my questions.

Have you ever heard of a MOPAR software speedo flash or had it actually done to your jeep?

Would I have to buy 4 Tazers?

Anybody with any info on a Superchips programer?

Is there any way to use one Tazer to adjust all four speedos and then remove it completely from the vehicles?

Am I being stupid about being nervous with using and leaving the Tazer installed while the vehicle is essentially new with only 750 miles?

Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Jeep Gladiator Speedo calibrating / Tazer / Dealer IMG_2492

Jeep Gladiator Speedo calibrating / Tazer / Dealer IMG_2486

Jeep Gladiator Speedo calibrating / Tazer / Dealer IMG_2489
Sponsored

Last edited:

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
On my JL I had it done by the dealership, and it was only $125 which I think is the MSRP for the service. I think with the JScan app you can set it up with multiple VINs. You would be able to reuse the OBDC connector on all 3-4 jeeps since nothing has to stay plugged in to the Jeep.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
$125 goes a LONG way towards a Tazer JL Mini... Granted, I think you have to have it "married" to one specific vehicle, but you MIGHT be able to plug it in, and change the tire size on others, and then put it back in the original vehicle you had it married to. If so, that would be your best bet. It also allows you to change gear ratios, transfer case ratios, turn lockers on/off if you swap in a set of Rubicon axles and wire up the switch into the harness and have the ECM flashed (or the opposite, and you install ARB's or Detroits, and remove the e-lockers).

The Tazer JL Mini is the way to go.

I would email Tazer and ask them can you buy just the 1 Tazer JL Mini for your JTR, and then unplug it and use it just to reprogram the tire sizes on your wife and son's vehicles. I'm sure you can, since that feature is not a "live function" and when you change it, it does actually reprogram that into the ECM itself.

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
$125 goes a LONG way towards a Tazer JL Mini... Granted, I think you have to have it "married" to one specific vehicle, but you MIGHT be able to plug it in, and change the tire size on others, and then put it back in the original vehicle you had it married to. If so, that would be your best bet. It also allows you to change gear ratios, transfer case ratios, turn lockers on/off if you swap in a set of Rubicon axles and wire up the switch into the harness and have the ECM flashed (or the opposite, and you install ARB's or Detroits, and remove the e-lockers).

The Tazer JL Mini is the way to go.

I would email Tazer and ask them can you buy just the 1 Tazer JL Mini for your JTR, and then unplug it and use it just to reprogram the tire sizes on your wife and son's vehicles. I'm sure you can, since that feature is not a "live function" and when you change it, it does actually reprogram that into the ECM itself.
I assumed since they offer an "unmarry service" for cases where you change cars but it is still married to the first one that it couldn't only be used on one vehicle at a time.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed since they offer an "unmarry service" for cases where you change cars but it is still married to the first one that it couldn't only be used on one vehicle at a time.
What i'm saying is, since it does not require licenses per VIN and doesn't VIN-lock you to a specific vehicle, you could probably marry the Tazer, reprogram the tire size, then unmarry the Tazer, then move on down the line. And the ECM would remain reprogrammed as far as tires size calibration goes, since that function is actually physically changed in the ECM itself, and not just modified while the Tazer is plugged in.

Then do the vehicle you plan on keeping it in last, you marry it to that one, and leave it plugged in.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Tazer is a one vehicle deal, to use it on another you have to unmarry it which reverts all changes made back to stock. JScan let’s you purchase a license for any number of vehicles.

Gregj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tazer is a one vehicle deal, to use it on another you have to unmarry it which reverts all changes made back to stock. JScan let’s you purchase a license for any number of vehicles.

Gregj
Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure the ECM changes, like speedometer, t-case ratio, gear ratio, remain, just like as if the dealership reprogrammed them with a StarScan. Those functions are hard-programmed, and not masked with a modified code, like the "Live Functions" the Tazer does.

I'd be curious to know if this works... Maybe Rob can test my theory and see, and report back. Since I don't have multiple Jeeps to try it myself.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure the ECM changes, like speedometer, t-case ratio, gear ratio, remain, just like as if the dealership reprogrammed them with a StarScan. Those functions are hard-programmed, and not masked with a modified code, like the "Live Functions" the Tazer does.

I'd be curious to know if this works... Maybe Rob can test my theory and see, and report back. Since I don't have multiple Jeeps to try it myself.
I promise you it does not work that way.
One Tazer, one vehicle. That’s why they have an unmarry service. Tazer is locked to one VIN only.

Gregj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I promise you it does not work that way.
One Tazer, one vehicle. That’s why the have an unmarry service. Tazer is locked to one VIN only.

Gregj
I know how tuners work, I've been doing EFI Live custom Cummins tuning and Smarty custom tuning for over 13 years. I know what VIN-locking is.

But what I'm saying is, I wonder if he tried it this way: marry, reprgram tire size, unmarry. And see if the tire size stays set. If it does, then he could do it this way with all of them.

It might work... It's worth a shot, right?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hi !

Ok so this is where Im at.... I've been on here maybe a month now and learned a lot from many of you.

We have 3 Gladiators .... 2 Rubicons, and a Sport S Max Tow........and also a 2018 JL Wrangler UL Sport.
(Pictures below)

The background story is..... in the last 2 weeks we have played "musical chairs" with the wheels and tires of all four vehicles.

My new factory Rubicon wheels and tires went on to our sons Sport S Gladiator when I got my new wheels and 35's.
Wife saw it and said " I WANT THAT! "..... and a few days later she also got new (different) wheels with 35"s on her Rubicon.
Then, her factory 33's (tires only) went on our other sons Wrangler. It already has aftermarket wheels.

So now, everyones speedometers are off.

The dealer the we just purchased the two new ones at said..... "it $300 PER JEEP for us to download software from MOPAR and re-flash your computer for the new size tires this will fix everything and it will all be accurate."

So to get a second opinion, I called another Jeep dealer here in the Phoenix area and talked with a service advisor and he said " huh.... never heard of anything like a software flash, I'd tell you to look aftermarket... I think Superchips makes something to adjust your speedo to the new tire size."

Then all of you on here recommend the Tazer / Tazer Mini. (I don't know if its two different models, or if its the same thing) but I've seen the videos on you tube and it has to be married and left in the jeep. Also when I checked today on Amazon its $329 each.

I have no real interest in changing any of my factory settings beyond getting the speedometer accurate.... and my last experience with an aftermarket tuner was on a Eco-boost F150 and it was bad!!! It never ran right with backfiring and check engine lights, it was never quite right after that. I do understand that was completely different because it was software engine tunes .... not the same thing... but since then, I don't really like plugging into and changing the factory software and leaving it on 24/7.

SO... finally on to my questions.

Have you ever heard of a MOPAR software speedo flash or had it actually done to your jeep?

Would I have to buy 4 Tazers?

Anybody with any info on a Superchips programer?

Is there any way to use one Tazer to adjust all four speedos and then remove it completely from the vehicles?

Am I being stupid about being nervous with using and leaving the Tazer installed while the vehicle is essentially new with only 750 miles?

Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Jeep Gladiator Speedo calibrating / Tazer / Dealer 1FD85AF6-6E83-4922-A0A2-B4F4986B2D9E

Jeep Gladiator Speedo calibrating / Tazer / Dealer 1FD85AF6-6E83-4922-A0A2-B4F4986B2D9E

Rough Country sells a box specifically for this. It is around $140. You should be able to use it with all of the Jeeps with no issues.

https://www.roughcountry.com/speedometer-calibrator-90019a.html

It doesn't work with models that have Adaptive Cruise Control or Diesel engines. The Jscan utility would be another option to look at.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I have a Tazer and that’s not how it works. The Tazer is unmarried and I have three JScan licenses.
Gregj
I have a Tazer, too... Have you tried it on multiple Jeeps? Or just assuming that i"m wrong...

If I had another Jeep here, I'd test it myself, but I don't...

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know how tuners work, I've been doing EFI Live custom Cummins tuning and Smarty custom tuning for over 13 years. I know what VIN-locking is.

But what I'm saying is, I wonder if he tried it this way: marry, reprgram tire size, unmarry. And see if the tire size stays set. If it does, then he could do it this way with all of them.

It might work... It's worth a shot, right?
EFI Live will tune multiple vehicles if you buy the program, trust me I’ve tried to use the Tazer on multiple vehicles, it doesn’t work that way.
Gregj

ETA:See my photo above, like I said I have one Tazer and three JScan licenses.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
JScan, you will be in it for under $150 on all of the Jeep's. You just buy the license for each jeep, which $23 and then around $70 for the two plugs and that's it. It does everything the JScan does. I've used my equipment non 3 Jeep's already to correct speedo and turn on backup camera one, all they had to do was buy the license online. It's probably the cheapest route
Sponsored