Sponsored

Spotted: GATOR vs GOBI Gladiator!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
As a middle aged guy with two kids, that teaches at business school, and runs a company let me say this:
Unmet expectations are the true root of all evil.
All you need to do in this world is set reasonable expectations and meet them. No more, no less.

Now that millennials are coming up to rule things, this is more important than ever. People bash them but they are the first generation to call BS on unmet expectations every single time.
Not really sure what you are talking about.

95% of car buyers go to the dealer, pick out a car, test drive it, and then buy it. Their expectations are exactly met.

Just because some wacko on the internet orders a premium vehicle with a color they have never seen doesn’t feel like a manufacturer problem. It feels like a buyer problem.

and I’m not judging. I did the exact same thing with my sting-gray jlu. But i wasn’t going to blame Jeep if i didn’t like it.
Sponsored

Butch2020JT

First Name
Walter akaButch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator (Ordered 9/20)
Occupation
Photographer

95% of car buyers go to the dealer, pick out a car, test drive it, and then buy it. Their expectations are exactly met.

Just because some wacko on the internet orders a premium vehicle with a color they have never seen doesn’t feel like a manufacturer problem. It feels like a buyer problem.

and I’m not judging. I did the exact same thing with my sting-gray jlu. But i wasn’t going to blame Jeep if i didn’t like it.
Well said! I'll jump in and say with a laugh, I'm a wacko that did in fact order sight unseen. BUT, after calling the Jeep Customer Care hotline 3 times and ask specifically if the color on the website will be the exact color that arrives and they (jeep) say YES. you order in confidence. Either way, I'm excited and it is what it is. Great feedback though.. Thank you.

Vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Well said! I'll jump in and say with a laugh, I'm a wacko that did in fact order sight unseen. BUT, after calling the Jeep Customer Care hotline 3 times and ask specifically if the color on the website will be the exact color that arrives and they (jeep) say YES. you order in confidence. Either way, I'm excited and it is what it is. Great feedback though.. Thank you.
Rule number one, Never believe Jeep Customer Care Hotline. I believe most dealerships want a happy customer and will let you switch your order to a different color if you feel it was misrepresented on the website.
Personally I think the color looks great. I'll be ready to purchase in a few months and Gator is at the top of my list.

Last edited:

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I was making the general statement that what usually causes trouble is expectations. Jeep, right or wrong, set an expectation on their website and people may or may not be happy with it. That's all. Not sure how your fellow Jeepers are wackos for ordering a color that looks cool.

kstine98

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Sport S max tow
I was kind of torn between GOBI and GATOR.

Went with GATOR and glad I did.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was making the general statement that what usually causes trouble is expectations. Jeep, right or wrong, set an expectation on their website and people may or may not be happy with it. That's all. Not sure how your fellow Jeepers are wackos for ordering a color that looks cool.
They (we) are wackos for ordering a $40k plus vehicle sight unseen based on a rendering on a website. Nobody does that. In the US, less than 5% of orders are custom factory orders. Most of those are for colors and options that are generally available. So we are talking about a super small percentage of people that would be crazy enough to order an expensive vehicle with a color that is not even available yet and which they have never seen. So if I'm Jeep I'm more concerned about the 99% than the 1%. And I don't really blame them for that. At some point caveat emptor has to kick in when you are totally the exception to the rule.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They (we) are wackos for ordering a $40k plus vehicle sight unseen based on a rendering on a website. Nobody does that. In the US, less than 5% of orders are custom factory orders. Most of those are for colors and options that are generally available. So we are talking about a super small percentage of people ...
That's still at least 10's of thousands of people per year you are calling wackos.

My Gobi arrived today. You can see in the bright sun these two colors really are tricks of the light and look very different. I like that.

"Wacko" Mr Jeep out...
IMG_0396.jpeg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's still at least 10's of thousands of people per year you are calling wackos.

My Gobi arrived today. You can see in the bright sun these two colors really are tricks of the light and look very different. I like that.

"Wacko" Mr Jeep out...
IMG_0396.jpeg
Congratulations. It's a beautiful Jeep.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
View attachment 41498 Liked the Gator on the Jeep site, love OD as a color and that is what I imagined Gator would be like. But felt like this was a color that would honor a vet, which I’m not. I would have felt a little “fake” riding around in it (please don’t think I’m judging by saying that, I’m not. It’s just the way that I would have felt about me). Had I known how it REALLY looked I would have been fine. It is actually exactly how I pictured Gobi, which in reality just looks like sand.

So when I began hunting for a Gladiator the Gobi was my 1st choice. I tried to order a Gobi with a manual transmission but my dealer told me that there was a hold on ordering the MT. Stingray was my 2ed choice and I found exactly the truck I wanted in SR about 3 hours from my home. I grabbed it and am SO SO happy. After seeing this post I realize that I really did get my #1 color choice in the long run. In the sunlight it has a pleasing amount of a green tone to it. But mostly it is a really nice, understated (as in not metallic) gray. Beautiful! View attachment 41498

40047DFA-92DD-47CC-97B8-12414CF01CDD.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
The StingGrey does indeed look really good on the JT.

Sponsored

fonzie

First Name
Alfonso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JT, 1996 Bronco
WOW! What a difference. While I WAIT.... I ordered the Gator Rubicon on 9/20 and was excited to get "as advertised". I guess I still love it but, for $61K I think getting what you paid for shouldn't scream " I guess I love it". Thoughts? I ordered the Armory wheels in Black. ON 37"s Now I'm questioning the desert tan wheels? Thoughts? At least I'm excited that today is week 5. How much longer? Just waiting for the call or build tracking.

img_0306-jpg.jpg

iris (1).jpg

truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-armory-5-lug-20x9-5-desert-sand-std-100.jpg

truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-armory-5-lug-20x9-5-gunblack-std-100.jpg
I want the Abrams wheel with the OD Green center. I wonder how good it would look...

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I want the Abrams wheel with the OD Green center. I wonder how good it would look...
I was thinking the same thing. It looks good in my mind, but who knows what it will look like in reality. Still a good idea.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
I’m glad I did not go Gator, only because of the huge difference in what was in the configurator. I’m sure if you ordered it and don’t like it you can switch, but it’s hard since so many waited so long for this color to come out.

JPARK60

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR, 17 KTM 690 Enduro, 12 Grand Cherokee, 05 Cooper S, 03 Super Glide,
Occupation
Helo Maint.

"Wacko" Mr Jeep out...
IMG_0396.jpeg
Nice! I'm one of the Gobi Wackos, still waiting on an upgrade from D status. Did you order the spray in bed liner? I've heard they are running a bit later due to that work getting done elsewhere. Also is that the matching hard top? That would be the first one I've seen delivered.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice! I'm one of the Gobi Wackos, still waiting on an upgrade from D status. Did you order the spray in bed liner? I've heard they are running a bit later due to that work getting done elsewhere. Also is that the matching hard top? That would be the first one I've seen delivered.
I did not order the bed liner because I heard they just send it out and figured I could do that. Plus, I wanted to make sure it was the rubbery texture not the harder scratchy one.
Yeah, I posted matching tops on the other Gobi thread because I hadn't seen any. It looks super sharp.
20191029_083145.jpg
Sponsored