Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
IT
Start/Stop Unavailable to Check Engine light

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the result? I have a 2022 Jeep gladiator high altitude with 1,800 miles on it.

A few days ago, I was driving home when the “Start/Stop Unavailable Service Start/Stop System” message came up on my dashboard, along with the Start/Stop light and the Battery light.

The next time I started my glady, it was gone.

Today (I think 3 days later) I started the Jeep, and the battery light was on, no message. I drove down my road (maybe like 1 mile) when the message, “Stop Safely Vehicle will shut off soon.” Appeared on my dashboard.

I drove another 1.5 miles, turned around and began heading home. Within the next few minutes, every light on the dashboard turned on, and truck locked up. Screen turned off everything.

I let it sit for a few moments (in park, with the ignition off) in the middle of the road. I was then able to start the car normally, and drive the other .5 miles home.

The check engine light is still on, and I’m planning to take it to Jeep tomorrow to get it check out, but anyone else experience this? I’ve seen some related things on other pages.

Thanks!

DD8EB7AE-FF16-456D-84A9-8B321A837E80.jpeg

5FB4ED32-20E6-4B1F-914E-52CDE61760B4.jpeg

D4031FFD-3451-43D7-89B9-9E78F27ED672.jpeg
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
See that battery light on the upper left? That's saying your charging system has a problem.
Non-functioning charging system is one thing that will disable the ESS or auto stop/start.
Now watch everyone jump and blame that ESS - WRONG.
The ESS or auto stop/start is a SYMPTOM of other problems.

The red battery light means the charging system isn't working - likely low voltage.
First thing I'd do is flip to the off-road pages in the radio and look at the gauges, or, flip screens in the cluster and find the volt meter and look at the voltage.
Bet it's low.
That will cause ESS to not work, the truck to shut down, and other weird stuff.

Jeep Gladiator Start/Stop unavailable - check engine light 1654219838605

Jeep Gladiator Start/Stop unavailable - check engine light 1654219897433

Last edited:

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
Exactly what Papa said. Most likely an issue with charging or possibly bad batteries.

OP
OP

Gladdy11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
IT
See that battery light on the upper left? That's saying your charging system has a problem.
No functioning charging system is one thing that will disable the ESS or auto stop/start.
Now watch everyone jump and blame that ESS - WRONG.
The ESS or auto stop/start is a SYMPTOM of other problems.

The red battery light means the charging system isn't working - likely low voltage.
First thing I'd do is flip to the off-road pages in the radio and look at the gauges, or, flip screens in the cluster and find the volt meter and look at the voltage.
Bet it's low.
That will cause ESS to not work, the truck to shut down, and other weird stuff.

You really are papa

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea what the voltage should stay at. I know it will fluctuate above 12v so I'm checking

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea what the voltage should stay at. I know it will fluctuate above 12v so I'm checking
Running system voltage?
or
Battery voltage at rest, engine off?

Running system voltage can be as low as ~12.7 to ~14.7 (mine rarely hits 14.7, usually a high of 14.6)
The voltage at a given time, if you observe the volt meter in the cluster (scroll to page 7, then left or right until you hit voltage - same page as tire pressure, oil pressure and so on) will vary based on conditions - battery state of charge, temperatures (when the battery gets warm, it will reduce the voltage to prevent over-heating or over-charging)
Normally I see things in the upper 13s to mid 14s. I've seen it as low as 12.7 on a looong trip at highway speeds in daylight. Mostly though mine is upper 13s to mid 14s.

Battery voltage at rest - just charged, fully charged, no load - 12.7-12.8
When connected into the truck, even a fully charged battery will read under 12.7 due to the slight drain of the system electronics.
Mine doesn't get driven daily, and when it does, it's generally not a long trip of over an hour, so my batteries often hit 12.2-12.4 after a couple of days.
If I charge the batteries using a charger with AGM setting and multiple charging phases, intelligent sensing, everything works perfectly - ESS works once I reach about 1.1 to 1.2 miles away from home and the engine is over about 140 degrees, and it all continues to work for a couple of days, maybe longer, from there.

But running system voltage will vary like I mentioned above because the battery sensor tracks what goes in, what comes out, temperatures, voltages and more, and the PCM uses that information to tweak the load and control the alternator as needed.
If you are on the highway, batteries mostly charged, and romp the thing to pass someone quickly, you'll likely see the voltage drop to the high 12s, then go back up once you let off and get back to ordinary speeds and RPMs.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
If you have a portable jump starter now is a good time to make sure it's charged up and on board.
Your lawn mower battery is dead or dying and it will suck the life from your main battery and leave you stranded.
You can find threads on here for various fixes and work arounds. Choose what suits your abilities and needs the best.
The dealer will only replace the batteries and the problem will return one day. That's one option.
Others include fully eliminating the auxiliary battery, replacing it with another full sized battery like the Genesis system, and several other variations on those themes.
My plan is to do the full elimination when the time comes.
Putting a hard to get to lawn mower battery in an off road vehicle has to be one of the dumbest engineering decisions ever.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Putting a hard to get to lawn mower battery in an off road vehicle has to be one of the dumbest engineering decisions ever.
Slight modification to that -
Change from 'hard to get' to nearly impossible to get..... NAPA, O'Reilly's, other stores can't get them, dealers say they have them, but do they tomorrow when you need it?

And change that from "in an off road vehicle" to "in any vehicle" - I support that change with this: charging two very different size and capacity batteries in parallel from the same charging source is not smart. So it could be your grandfather's Cherokee, it's still not smart because they are very different batteries in needs due to the size and capacity.

Finally, lest anyone think lawn mower batteries are a bad thing - the one in my John Deere x739 is over 7 years old and will start that tractor after it's been sitting 30 days, and it's 0 degrees out. I use it to run an ATV sprayer I've rigged on the back in the summer (so there's electric load of lights and electric sprayer pump) and I plow snow with it in the winter.
Lawn mower batteries get a bad rap. I have one over 7 years old..... I bet if I look at my paperwork, it's closer to 8. It starts that Kawasaki engine just fine.

Carry on.
😁

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
papa knows things
My guess bad aux. battery or both.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
papa knows things
My guess bad aux. battery or both.
LOL - I don't know why, but that reminds me of one of my favorite scenes from a TV show, and he's my favorite character on the show.......

Jeep Gladiator Start/Stop unavailable - check engine light I just know stuff

Sponsored

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Well main battery good. Now 4 bolts to check aux

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well main battery good. Now 4 bolts to check aux
You can check the voltage or even charge it without removing anything other than the aux black battery cable from the top of the IBS on the crank battery.
You don't want to load test it that way because of the massive draw through the relay down there, but you can charge the aux battery and check voltage simply, remove a cable.

Jeep Gladiator Start/Stop unavailable - check engine light 20220530_094946_HDR

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Ty

OP
OP

Gladdy11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Occupation
IT
To update; this continues to happen. Jeep has now been at the dealership 3 times with no fix. Will work perfectly for a few 100 miles, then do this while routine again and die in the middle of the road. If it happens once more, it will be Lemoned. But I need my gladiator for that. Haven’t seen it since Saturday
Sponsored