Sponsored

Start Stop unavailable, requires service after batteries replaced.

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I started getting symptoms of a dead aux battery, including start/stop unavailable and aux switches unavailable. I replaced the aux battery, then the main battery as it went out a couple weeks later.

All seems good, except that start/stop error light persists. It's been a couple weeks ago I took it to a dealer. The advisor said they need to reprogram the jeep after the battery is replaced. Fine, but that's the first I've heard of that being needed and I've done a lot of research on this error and never saw that mentioned.

Does that ring a bell with anyone else who's gone through this?
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Don't listen to the post above mine. You don't want unnecessary warning lights for a fixable problem. Whether you use it ESS or not, you want to keep your truck in good health.

It sounds like there's an issue with the IBS and it needs to be reset. I wonder if they skipped that part of the procedure. It would align with that they're saying about a 'reprogramming' in a loose sense of the word. The IBS tracks what goes in and out of the batteries and if new batteries were popped in and it didn't reset, it's going to be confused as all getout.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Tazer I use to disable it so that's not an issue, just want to avoid any future issues.

The tech came back and said the aux battery was completely dead and a bad battery. That would explain why the start/stop light was still on, but I'm not 100% sold on the explanation. It was new as of a couple weeks ago, but I guess it's theoretically possible I got a dud. Guess I'll need to pull it and take it back for a return.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I started getting symptoms of a dead aux battery, including start/stop unavailable and aux switches unavailable. I replaced the aux battery, then the main battery as it went out a couple weeks later.

All seems good, except that start/stop error light persists. It's been a couple weeks ago I took it to a dealer. The advisor said they need to reprogram the jeep after the battery is replaced. Fine, but that's the first I've heard of that being needed and I've done a lot of research on this error and never saw that mentioned.

When you replace batteries, you must make sure you reset the IBS at the same time by disconnecting it and letting it sit 10 to 15 minutes. Also make sure to separate the two negative cables as otherwise the aux battery is still grounded even when you take the negative cable off the top of the main battery.

I'd use an AGM charger, disconnect both batteries (meaning separate the two ground cables from each other) charge both batteries, reset the IBS and start over.

If you replaced the batteries yourself and didn't take the two ground cables apart, you may have blown the high current fuse that charges the aux battery....... it's a common mistake and a common issue. It may be why the aux battery is dead again.

Get it fixed, then disable it

You dont want A.s.s.
Why? Because you don't understand or like it or maybe because it annoys you?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Tazer I use to disable it so that's not an issue, just want to avoid any future issues.

The tech came back and said the aux battery was completely dead and a bad battery. That would explain why the start/stop light was still on, but I'm not 100% sold on the explanation. It was new as of a couple weeks ago, but I guess it's theoretically possible I got a dud. Guess I'll need to pull it and take it back for a return.
Before you touch that battery, make sure you take the two negative cables apart from each other and don't let them touch anything otherwise the aux battery is still live while you are working with it.
If you didn't do that the first time, it's possible that the fuse that the charge for the aux battery goes through was blown.
Also you'll want to fully charge any battery BEFORE installing it.
Never install a battery you just bought. Fully charge the battery, THEN install it.
If you install it direct from the store and don't reset the IBS, you are going to have issues.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you replace batteries, you must make sure you reset the IBS at the same time by disconnecting it and letting it sit 10 to 15 minutes. Also make sure to separate the two negative cables as otherwise the aux battery is still grounded even when you take the negative cable off the top of the main battery.

I'd use an AGM charger, disconnect both batteries (meaning separate the two ground cables from each other) charge both batteries, reset the IBS and start over.

If you replaced the batteries yourself and didn't take the two ground cables apart, you may have blown the high current fuse that charges the aux battery....... it's a common mistake and a common issue. It may be why the aux battery is dead again.
The fuse is fine (N3 from memory?), I checked that. What's the IBS and how do I reset it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The fuse is fine (N3 from memory?), I checked that. What's the IBS and how do I reset it?
Arrow is pointing to it in this pic - the device with the angled clamp bolt and nut.
Disconnect the cables from the top if it (IBS = Intelligent Battery Sensor) and remove it from main battery.
Charge both batteries.
Reconnect IBS and top ground cables.

Future charging should all be done by connecting to the top stud of the IBS and not directly to the battery post.
but to start with, with it all apart, charge both batteries - it may take hours to get to 12.7 volts.

If your batteries, either or both, do not read 12.7, they are not fully charged.

Jeep Gladiator Start Stop unavailable, requires service after batteries replaced. JT-neg-bat-post-cables-ibs

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Arrow is pointing to it in this pic - the device with the angled clamp bolt and nut.
Disconnect the cables from the top if it (IBS = Intelligent Battery Sensor) and remove it from main battery.
Charge both batteries.
Reconnect IBS and top ground cables.

Jeep Gladiator Start Stop unavailable, requires service after batteries replaced. JT-neg-bat-post-cables-ibs
I always wondered what that was, thanks!

To charge the aux can I hook my charger to positive on main battery and the negative wire running to aux after disconnecting it or is there more to it?

Sponsored

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Why? Because you don't understand or like it or maybe because it annoys you?
I disabled A.s.s. In my Bronco second day of ownership, and my parents Range Rovers as well.

A.s.s is a Pain in the ass, and it kills off the starter overtime. Its a feature very few people genuinely want, and my parents never complained when I disabled theirs, while my friends with newer vehicles buy A.s.s. Plugs asap

Flyboy2109

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2004 CTS-V, 2001 Tahoe, 1990 Dakot
Occupation
retired Pilot: USCG, Delta, Netjets

I have eliminated the aux batt with no problems. I have removed that main battery for long term storage and put it back in months later. I have never had to reprogram anything. I can't imagine that anything should ever have to be reprogramed after a battery fails. Obviously, Jeeps are an electrical nightmare from the continuing complaints. I am just praying mine doesn't start up with this headache, I wanted to be happy with it for the next 20 years. Too complicated for trusting them off road or overland?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have eliminated the aux batt with no problems. I have removed that main battery for long term storage and put it back in months later. I have never had to reprogram anything. I can't imagine that anything should ever have to be reprogramed after a battery fails. Obviously, Jeeps are an electrical nightmare from the continuing complaints. I am just praying mine doesn't start up with this headache, I wanted to be happy with it for the next 20 years. Too complicated for trusting them off road or overland?
Electrical nightmare mostly due to the crap on the internet and people not understanding them - and fearing or hating what they don't understand.

I'd bet that they meant the IBS needed to be reset and in that respect they are 100% correct.
When putting batteries in, you always fully charge the battery FIRST, and let the IBS reset by leaving it disconnected for several minutes.
Match a fully charged battery to a reset IBS and things are fine.
But no one follows what should have always been done -
People slap new batteries in from a dealership or a parts store or Amazon - and they don't even think to charge it FIRST. They assume it comes ready to go and that has never been true since I got into automotive work in the early 1970s. You never just put a battery in, you always charge it first and that's how it's always been especially since the advent of 'sealed batteries'.
And with these, while that battery is sitting on a bench being charged by a good AGM charger of AT LEAST 10 amps, you disconnect the IBS and let it reset.
Then you install that fully charged battery (may take a few hours, depending) and install the now reset IBS.
It's simple - IF you do it right.
Don't do it right and you are going to possibly introduce more issues then you'll come back bitching about how bad the Jeep's electric systems are.
No, it's how bad some of the people working on them are and bluntly - if you don't know, at least ask first. And that includes DEALERSHIPS.

* Rule for any battery: CHARGE IT FIRST, outside of the vehicle.

* Rule for any vehicle with an IBS: reset the IBS and place it on a fully charged battery.
Simple.
From then on, only charge or trickle or maintain the battery through the IBS, not under it.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When putting batteries in, you always fully charge the battery FIRST, and let the IBS reset by leaving it disconnected for several minutes.
Match a fully charged battery to a reset IBS and things are fine.
But no one follows what should have always been done
Part of the problem is that last sentence. How are folks supposed to know what "should have" been done? It's not in the manual and it seems dealership service departments are unaware, too (in my experience.) Now that I know, I know. But only because I ran into an issue when I hastily installed a new battery while trying to get on the road and started looking online for answers afterwards. The information you share here is invaluable and I thank you for it.

As for my situation, I charged each battery separately last night and pulled the IBS. Everything went back together this morning and I'll see how it runs. Hopefully that aux battery isn't shot and it holds its charge.