Sponsored

Auto stop failure, now check engine light.

ajfoster02

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Construction Manager
Just an update. I had it back to the dealer a third time and they FINALLY said they got the update for the computer. If anyone needs the actual language for their dealer please see the attached...

8EB2E705-F410-4D02-8BEF-308B8BCA3D31.jpeg
Check that, not even 24 hours later and both CEL/ESS lights are back on!
Sponsored

Brink22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Having the same check engine (start/stop) issues on my new 2020 gladiator. Iā€™ve had it for 3 weeks, half of the time itā€™s been sitting at the dealership service center. Unbelievable. Jeep I sure hope you figure out a way to make this right. Not sure why Iā€™ve paid for a brand new car that I canā€™t drive.

jmeyers

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator / Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Investigator
Hi Alex,
Are you considering taking your Gladiator to your preferred dealer for a proper diagnosis? If so, please send our team a PM. We'd be happy to offer assistance throughout your service visit.

Hi Jeff,
As stated to your fellow forum member above, if you need any assistance while working with your dealer, please send us a PM.
Alex
JeepCares
This is how my problems started and now Iā€™m getting a new engine with less than 5000 miles on my Gladiatorr.

jmeyers

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator / Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Investigator
Having the same check engine (start/stop) issues on my new 2020 gladiator. Iā€™ve had it for 3 weeks, half of the time itā€™s been sitting at the dealership service center. Unbelievable. Jeep I sure hope you figure out a way to make this right. Not sure why Iā€™ve paid for a brand new car that I canā€™t drive.
I feel your pain. Mine started this way and has been in the shop for over a month waiting on a new engine. Jeep has gone silent on me.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi there, we apologize for the late response. If you have any questions regarding your past service or are still in need of support, please send us a private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
I feel your pain. Mine started this way and has been in the shop for over a month waiting on a new engine. Jeep has gone silent on me.
Hello, we are sorry to hear about the delay in your dealer service. Our team would be happy to look into this further for you if needed, please send us a private message for additional assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

Caderade

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Teacher
Iā€™m in the same boat yā€™all. JT has 10,900 miles on it. I was accelaerating into I-35 in San Antonio and the check engine light came on. I continued my trip with the family and got gas. Light went off. Pulled back into the highway and had to pass a truck. Accelerated to get around him and the engine light came on again. It seems to be running fine. Last night when I went to get in I started with the remote start and the dashboard said that the remote start was disabled. Iā€™m going to take it in next week when I get back home. Itā€™s pretty frustrating.

Shineshaun

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Same boat here.
I had engines issue right from the start in Aug 2020 when I got it. 60 days or so in the shop and I got a new engine. 2000kms later I have constant CEL & ASS Light. I now call it chitty chitty bang bang. It runs so rough now. So I guess itā€™s back to the shop to start the process again. All this on a brand new 2020 with less than 8000kms. Very frustrating.

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I'm not up on all the new electronics in these Jeeps, Old School here, but is it possible with the auto stop/start function, that when its stopping/starting is causing the time chain to jump, throwing the engine off. One degree could cause lots of issues on these new electronic computer controlled vehicles. Just a thought.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not up on all the new electronics in these Jeeps, Old School here, but is it possible with the auto stop/start function, that when its stopping/starting is causing the time chain to jump, throwing the engine off. One degree could cause lots of issues on these new electronic computer controlled vehicles. Just a thought.
No. Otherwise one of the chains would MORE likely jump in normal starts in COLD weather.
A warmed engine gives a fraction of the stress on the camshaft drive system.
These also have cam timing built into the PCM- it won't ignore that like old engines. Even a worn chain that has not jumped will throw a code.
There are multiple chains involved running to each bank and it is sensitive enough to know if there's even too much wear - less than a link will throw a code. .
It will throw a P0016 crank cam position correlation or something like that.
So far no one has mentioned such a code.

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Great, This is the stuff I'm in for with my auto start/stop failure light and check engine light. This now and the rattling clicking sound from the motor. It's been to the dealer three times for the engine noise that they can hear but tell me new Gladiators make the same noise. It was quiet as could be when I first got it. When i took it in to have it looked at the third time, I took the service manager for a ride. As soon as he heard it he immediately said that's not normal and lets go back immediately. Tech looked at it and said he couldn't hear it. There were no CEL's on so i guess no problems then. The noise is still there and now i have the other faults at 3100 miles. Dropping it off at the dealer Wednesday.

Sponsored

Amberlynnoz

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Just had mine in the shop for a week, Misfire and auto shut off acting up. still no idea they couldn't replicate it. so I just had it documented. I'll keep taking it back every time

Amberlynnoz

First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Calling Dealer this morning. Ess light on every now and then and check engine light is now on. 1700 miles.
Iā€™ve been dealing with same problem now for right at 1 year! Keep cares is not even returning my calls anymore!! They referred me to a 3rd party arbitration company and I did. JT win for lemon law but Jeep wonā€™t fix the problem??? What do I do, really not wanting to have to get an attorney,

navymustng

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Senior Logistics Analyst
I have had my gladiator for a little over 2 months and put about
3500 miles on it. My problems started around 3 weeks of ownership as a auto start/stop light came on and . After shutting the jeep off and turning it on again, it was gone and worked properly. No engine light. This happened three or four times, and on the most recent, a check engine light came on and has stayed on and the auto stop and start light is gone and working properly. I would normally just take this to the dealership and have them look at it, but I am active duty military and will be leaving my station in the next few days with a 1200 MI drive home. Should I be concerned about driving that far with the engine light on? If this is the dreaded cylinder misfire that I've heard of, is that possible for it to cause damage? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, hopefully @JeepCares will chime in. Thanks for the read

20191220_070537.jpg

20191106_114111.jpg
Alex, Did this ever get resloved?

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Update to my original post.... engine started pinging to the point where super unleaded didn't even get rid of it, gas mileage plummeted over the past several months and the check engine light finally stayed on long enough to get an appointment at the dealership. codes came up as right bank camshaft i was told. They ordered parts and came in the next day. Service advisor said it should be done the next day. The next day no calls and no return calls from the voicemails i left. Finally got in touch with the service advisor after two days and oh boy, now it's the intake cam on the right bank, exhaust cam on the right bank, lifters, rockers, journals and a host of other crap for the number 5 cylinder. One year of ownership and less that 5000 miles, yippee. Even better than that, they said they have no loaner vehicle for me. All the engine noise concerns started between 1500 and 2000 miles. Every time it went in to be looked at, came back with the same BS... tech could not duplicate noise, no CEL, all systems functioning as normal. This is sue doesn't even address the intermittent auto start stop failure light. That comes on at least once a week and goes out after a restart.

IHCDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
And the worst part is when and if i get it back "fixed" i'll be worried about it leaving me stuck on the road or worse yet, on the trail. Can't even trade it in on something else, There's nothing else out there available to trade it in on
Sponsored