Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
That
I think next trip up there I'll have them look into that. I'd check but frankly, if they are loose, it's their thing to deal with. I'll have other stuff to talk to them about anyway.
That was my thought exactly!
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that, wasn’t sure since these are steel bolts if they had a higher torque rating than the aluminum ones.
True

i will be re installing my brace at some point. I can probably try an figure it out.
Unless someone who definitively knows can pipe in

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that, wasn’t sure since these are steel bolts if they had a higher torque rating than the aluminum ones.
All of the bolts were STEEL. The difference is the steering gear housing. The old housing was cast aluminum. Two of the bolts had nuts on them and were not threaded directly into the aluminum housing. The new steering gear with the cast steel housing has threaded holes for the bolts.
As the four new bolts are all the same size and not using nuts, I would say the torque spec is different, but not because of the bolt material.
All bolts are steel. But with the new gear, all 4 are the same size while the old gear housing used two that were smaller and went clear through with nuts on the other side.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
All of the bolts were STEEL. The difference is the steering gear housing. The old housing was cast aluminum. Two of the bolts had nuts on them and were not threaded directly into the aluminum housing. The new steering gear with the cast steel housing has threaded holes for the bolts.
As the four new bolts are all the same size and not using nuts, I would say the torque spec is different, but not because of the bolt material.
All bolts are steel. But with the new gear, all 4 are the same size while the old gear housing used two that were smaller and went clear through with nuts on the other side.
so do you think the torque would be higher or lower? Im far from an expert here but id assume it would be the same

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
so do you think the torque would be higher or lower? Im far from an expert here but id assume it would be the same
I would assume at least the same. (but that's an assumption not knowing the exact size of the original bolts)

Davesnothereman

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Liberty
The paperwork matches up and my old steering box was silver and the new one is black. Its driven like this from day one and it’s stock. I’d kill for decent steering.

Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think next trip up there I'll have them look into that. I'd check but frankly, if they are loose, it's their thing to deal with. I'll have other stuff to talk to them about anyway.
I really value your posts highly.
It took a year (from delivery) to get our steering gear replaced. It's much better.

Had to contact @JeepCares They referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care because I'm Canadian (different company)

The second dealer (old story; not worth telling again) did an amazing job. It's not perfect. But it's SO MUCH BETTER.

I've adjusted steering gear before, but long time ago. Say '72? I *think* that the steering gear could be adjusted just a bit.

I truly appreciate FCA Jeep Customer Care's help. They followed up regularly.

And the second dealer is exceptional.

I know that you have far more experience than I do. Thanks for sharing it here.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The paperwork matches up and my old steering box was silver and the new one is black. Its driven like this from day one and it’s stock. I’d kill for decent steering.
Check for issues...
*bolts tight?? (I don't know the torque off-hand)
*fluid???reservoir up to full mark?
*steering wheel centred?
*reflashed?? reprogramming the steering brain is part of the work

It would to slip up if the tech was pulled off the job....

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Mine was done at 700 miles. 3k miles still feels good. For those having poor results, check fluid level, and the torque on frame bolts (18mm 99 ft. lbs) and hex/pinch bolt on shaft (13mm 40 ft. lbs).

DMAN51

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
ReadyLift South Region Sales Mgr.
Mine was done at 700 miles. 3k miles still feels good. For those having poor results, check fluid level, and the torque on frame bolts (18mm 99 ft. lbs) and hex/pinch bolt on shaft (13mm 40 ft. lbs).
UPDATE ON STEERING BOX REPLACEMENT...
FCA has a new TSB procedure for anyone complaining about "wondering." It's dated Dec. 3rd, and states they will not replace any boxes without a new measurement procedure. They now have to measure, inspect bolts, etc before any replacement is granted. Since I had already ordered mine and they had it before the latest revised edition they are replacing mine today. Just be ready if you take one in today for this issue.

DMAN51

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
ReadyLift South Region Sales Mgr.
UPDATE ON STEERING BOX REPLACEMENT...
FCA has a new TSB procedure for anyone complaining about "wondering." It's dated Dec. 3rd, and states they will not replace any boxes without a new measurement procedure. They now have to measure, inspect bolts, etc before any replacement is granted. Since I had already ordered mine and they had it before the latest revised edition they are replacing mine today. Just be ready if you take one in today for this issue.
Sponsored