First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue Sport S MT. 99 TJ
Occupation
Retired Operating Engineer Local 825
Someone who knows how will be explaining how, not reading how.
All bets are off for those who think they know how, but not really.
I seen this thread for the first time today and it sure don't see a need to explain: To correct steering wheel - adjust track bar if needed to center axle then adjust drag link to center the wheel. Short and simple. Have a nice day
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I seen this thread for the first time today and it sure don't see a need to explain: To correct steering wheel - adjust track bar if needed to center axle then adjust drag link to center the wheel. Short and simple. Have a nice day
You are assuming a lot - like adjustable track bar, for example. I don't have one.
I've recentered the steering wheel multiple times due to various other factors.

The problem is, a lot of novices aren't sure the drag link from tie rod and why should they know all of that and exactly where and how to adjust?
You can do it, I can do it, many can, but the vast majority of Jeep owners can't even ID the parts under the front of their Jeep.

The point is to educate some folks on what's what, how and why and when to do something.
Then there's some, those few, who should take any wrench they own back to the store and stick to their day job (hopefully not working in an auto shop).

Gizmo

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I assumed when someone asks something as simple as how to center a steering wheel that there is no need to explain how the wheel was invented so to speak. I try to arouse a little curiosity and just maybe do a little research with the search tool . Thats how I do it before I ask so in the end you don't end up with 20 threads on the same topic . Don't take this to heart like I said I was laughing on my original post because it his taken 3 years and 3 pages just to explain , I am not looking for anyones confirmation just trying to bring a little humor to a 3 year old thread still being explained . notice I did not quote any one .

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You are assuming a lot - like adjustable track bar, for example. I don't have one.
I've recentered the steering wheel multiple times due to various other factors.

The problem is, a lot of novices aren't sure the drag link from tie rod and why should they know all of that and exactly where and how to adjust?
You can do it, I can do it, many can, but the vast majority of Jeep owners can't even ID the parts under the front of their Jeep.

The point is to educate some folks on what's what, how and why and when to do something.
Then there's some, those few, who should take any wrench they own back to the store and stick to their day job (hopefully not working in an auto shop).
Exactly. When I joined this forum, I didn’t know how to adjust it or many other things. I’ve learned a ton and now am happy to help out others.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I assumed when someone asks something as simple as how to center a steering wheel that there is no need to explain how the wheel was invented so to speak. I try to arouse a little curiosity and just maybe do a little research with the search tool . Thats how I do it before I ask so in the end you don't end up with 20 threads on the same topic . Don't take this to heart like I said I was laughing on my original post because it his taken 3 years and 3 pages just to explain , I am not looking for anyones confirmation just trying to bring a little humor to a 3 year old thread still being explained . notice I did not quote any one .
Stay tuned, or rather, set your calendar to check back in a year or two when it comes to life again while in the meantime, 2 other threads are created on the topic.

I don't ask too many questions, especially on fakebook, because I find the responses to be below entry level "is it plugged in? Is it turned on?" (or WRONG)
Usually when I ask - it's beyond first level help desk stuff.

I asked a question a couple of weeks ago on fakebook and responses were mostly stuff like "that can't be done, why are you even trying it, it's stupid", never seen a car like that, and so on.
And then days later, I see a picture of a car with the exact same setup I'm trying to do but was told it couldn't be done, or would be stupid to do. NRCC calendar car with the setup I'm trying to do.
So as usual, I'm going it on my own.........
I'll get it done, but some sort of template or examples of hood bracing would have been helpful.
Too bad some of the fantastic welders and fabricators on this forum don't live closer - I'd hire them to cut and reinforce the hood where the structure has to be cut out. I know there are guys here who can make torches and welders dance and sing.

Jeep Gladiator Steering Wheel isn’t straight NRCC-74-Javelin

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled thread on how to center a steering wheel.
I recall can't blame people who are new to that for coming in and asking - if ya ain't done it, it might appear daunting at first. WILDHOBO is one who will talk ya through stuff on the phone. If I recall correctly we talked at length about the RSE power steps.

Sponsored

Gizmo

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
in the trans am series Roger Penske drove a similar looking car ( amx )

Mad Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Website
www.best-motorcycle.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Wrangler Sahara
This short video does a good job
of showing how to do it.

Straighten Your Jeep's Steering Wheel

A deep 15mm socket may be needed.
I did not have one.

At 76, I am so weak I used penetrating oil,
a long 15mm wrench with a cheater pipe
and a pipe wrench to turn the collar.

Just remember, turn the collar clockwise
to adjust the steering wheel counter clockwise
and vice versa.

One quarter of a turn was all it took
to make me straight.
(Stop that!)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One quarter of a turn was all it took
Avoiding the rest on purpose................
That's the thing with this - if you go thinking you need to take it a full turn or even 3/4 of a turn, you'll find yourself with a steering wheel tipped the other direction, well past level.

If you have JSCAN, you can watch the steering wheel angle from under the Jeep as you turn that piece.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Avoiding the rest on purpose................
That's the thing with this - if you go thinking you need to take it a full turn or even 3/4 of a turn, you'll find yourself with a steering wheel tipped the other direction, well past level.

If you have JSCAN, you can watch the steering wheel angle from under the Jeep as you turn that piece.
The JSCAN angle reading has been the real game changer for me, find the angle it's off, turn it to that when on stands so the tire squish doesn't fight, then twist and go. It's especially handy with the aluminum drag links that use jam nuts torqued to hernia levels so you don't have to do it multiple times.
Sponsored