Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Look at it this way - if the Jeep ever burns, that aluminum, magnesium and zinc will be a puddle on the shoulder of the road - the frame and the power steps will endure. (well, except for the aluminum step itself, and the electronics inside)
Sponsored

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
RSE comments:
I had them on my LJ - Gen1 upgraded to internal Gen2. Strong and never damaged the housing without the skid plate armor. For the LJ the steps are mounted to the bottom of the body with many bolts

Now I have a JLUR with Gen2 - The housing is thin and prone to denting. I am adding the armor skid and the Gen3 spring.

Now days they are selling Gen3 with spring but with same thin housing so you still need the skid plate armor option.

Regardless always turn of the steps if you suspect a clearance issue. With the step down when you hit a rock it will cost at least $250 to replace the broken mounts and even the step. Not an easy DIY fix.
BTW, the JL steps are mounted to the frame to body bolts.

StoneyBanks

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Another vote for Rock Slide Engineering. Sorry to anyone that thinks otherwise, but there is NO other option on the market that combines a legit step with a rock slider. Had them on my lifted JKUR and they'll be going on my Gladiator shortly. I'm pretty banged up with orthopedic injuries and my mother in law is both very short and disabled and they made getting in and out of my JK a night and day difference. The armor is a nice addition but unnecessary for all but the most extreme wheeling. RSE and others have done innumerable videos showing the absolute hammering they can take and still function perfectly; something that would leave AMP Powersteps or similar power deployable running boards in a mangled heap. Apparently more than one response to the OP's thread completely failed at reading comprehension; some of the suggestions given would make it worse/more difficult for his wife/kids to get in his Jeep, not easier...

And to answer the OP's question; they're frame-mounted like most (if not all) similar sliders are, and good luck putting more weight on them than they can handle...I forget what they're rated for but we never came remotely close to overloading them.
Love your response PG! I'm looking to slap a set on my Jeep Glad and I'd like to know what you feel a good price is for a set? Best I'm seeing right now is around $2600 at 4WD. What say you? Thanks!

StoneyBanks

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
You can do it. It’s a bit of a pain, but totally doable. Including the wiring it’ll take up a decent part of your weekend, but it’s fine. Many have done them and can give suggestions. PM me and I’m happy to share contact info to give some pointers to save you some time.
I'll be slapping a set on here shortly and would LOVE to have some time (and pain) saving pointers.

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Rock Slide Engineering slider steps. They’re amazing. Many others are likely to chime in as well. Pretty much everyone that gets them loves them. The steps go down when the doors open. A magnet goes on the door and sensors go on the b pillar.

9BE95424-4A79-4C9E-9BD2-B31C81F505D7.jpeg

DEC6CD76-6C32-4175-ADDB-D35621524D7E.jpeg

88DC59E1-2C1C-4633-BFCC-EB79C5FC44D2.jpeg
I agree. These are the best. Had them on my LJ, now on my Gladiator. I have beat them up a plenty. Still working great.

Sponsored

StoneyBanks

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
White Kunckle sliders. Frame mounted, you get to keep the oem Rubi rails. These things are bomb proof.

1665275183481.png

1665275216434.png

1665275249652.png

1665275275357.png
Nice! How far out is the step from the body? 3"? Can you get your booted foot on there without issue? Also, it looks as if you lose an inch or so in clearance. Meaning, it drops below factory rails.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Nice! How far out is the step from the body? 3"? Can you get your booted foot on there without issue? Also, it looks as if you lose an inch or so in clearance. Meaning, it drops below factory rails.
Yeah, they're below the factory Rubi rails. But still above the frame rails.

They stick out about 4". Just enough to get your foot on.

StoneyBanks

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Consultant
Yeah, they're below the factory Rubi rails. But still above the frame rails.

They stick out about 4". Just enough to get your foot on.
Thanks! Been going back and forth between RSEs and fixed steps. Thanks for your response!

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
did you have the added armor when you beat them up?
Yes I do. I believe it’s worth the extra cost. Also with the added length of the Gladiator, I believe they are needed

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Bought two sets, one for each Jeep. First time out with her Jeep my wife thanked me for adding them. And then later she said she was glad I put them on my truck, too -she drives it now and then and is often a passenger at other times.
One of the best additions I've ever made to a vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually PXL_20230518_205053918

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually PXL_20230505_205705272.MP

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually PXL_20230408_014521421

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually PXL_20230326_222637529

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually 20230304_185231

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually 20230304_185249

Jeep Gladiator Steps but want to off road eventually PXL_20230525_151954093.MP

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are RSE capable of being submerge during water crossing on trails?
What Dan said.
The motors are sealed, the electronics are sealed and all connections are sealed.
It's wise to clean things out, a good rinsing to remove mud or silt and lube things, IMO, but being submerged up to the Jeep's 30" water fording depth won't hurt them.

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
As noted, the problem of using sliders as steps is you do not accomplish much. My wife is maybe 5'3" with short legs and when the lift and 37s went on, I had to give her a boost to get in, lol. I got to make fun of her for having trouble getting in her own Jeep until she put her foot down and went to my Jeep shop to "fix that s**t" Haha

My Jeep builder convinced us that the AMP XLs were a better choice over RSE because the step is so much wider and is the total length of the cab. I was concerned they could take a beating until he showed me his massive Gladiator that had them. His AMPs were riddled with scars from serious wheeling. He had beat the hell out of them and never had an issue.

In the end, we went with the AMP XLs and they are one of my favorite mods (shh, don't tell my wife).
Sponsored