Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interested in this too... I've just been using the tire to climb in but with a 30" inseam the top of a 37 is a reach
I believe I've got a way to make mine work out. Making a minor mod now. More later.
Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I have the AMP Bedstep that I got from 4wheelonline. I like this add-on because it is retractable. It allows me to climb up into the bed easily.
I can see this getting banged up when going off-road - people already complain about departure angle and this seems to make it worse.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can see this getting banged up when going off-road - people already complain about departure angle and this seems to make it worse.
Cost was reason 1, then getting banged up with another reason I skipped the step although for a while I was strongly looking at it.

I have part of the mod done on my ladder, just one more thing, then touch up the paint I messed with moving one of the posts for the ladder and re-welding it.
Now to make a small notch in another part and see how it looks.
I was using clamps from my wood shop to hold the mounting plate on the tail gate to try things out, that helped a whole lot.
The ladder is easily removed by pulling 2 pins if you don't want it back there. The mount stays on the tail gate. I cringe like crazy DRILLING holes, but then, if this works, it will be there for years anyway.
So far, so good.

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
C'mon guys. A little exercise is good for you. Just put both hands on the lowered tailgate and hop in. That's what I do...2" lift with 35s...73 years old. If the tailgate is up, I use the step in the OEM bumper to climb into the bed.
I run half marathons, but being barely 5”3 with the lift and bigger tires I find it rather challenging to hoist my rump up on the tailgate. I’m currently using a little portable step.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I made two mods and got the ladder to work just fine.
I moved the front of the two "posts" that hold the ladder to the mounting plate by cutting it off the place and moving it to the rear (closer to the other) by about 1/2" and welding it back in place.
It still left one of the pieces resting against the tailgate cable, so I notched a piece on the ladder to clear the cable.
I also did not mount the straps where and how they said as I didn't want to drill still more holes in my tailgate - so I used existing screws. They wanted that strap mounted between the first and second ladder rung, that would have demanded two new holes. I moved the strap to between the 2nd and 3rd.
We'll see - if it's not held solidly enough, I can always relocate the strap.
I did not yet put the 2 square plastic plugs into the square stud ends after welding - almost forgot, removed them to prevent melting them from the welding.......... so those square studs sticking up don't have the plastic plugs in them yet.

It works, after getting the tires up into the truck for my wave rotation and oil change, it started raining so I had to move the ramps and get the truck back into the garage to strap the tires down - using the ladder to get into the truck.

So I can say that I have used it at least twice and it works fine.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_161531_HDR

Here's the part I notched - just one side, and just to clear the cable better. I may put a piece of fuel line on that part of the cable to help my OCD stop thinking about it.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_161542_HDR

The forward mounting post -the one on the right in this picture, was mounted clear out to the front edge (right edge in this photo).
I moved it in a bit to help move the ladder a bit away from the cable (and bumper)
My weld looks like crap in this picture! (well, they aren't things of art anyway, but not as bad as the pic, either)

To remove the ladder completely, you simply pull the two pins and the nylon washers.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_161606_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_161620

Another view of the square post I moved, it was clear at the corner of the plate. I moved it inward.
Also, a view of the tailgate cable - the cable is not even quite touching the ladder.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_161700

Ladder strapped - used existing screws to attach the strap. They wanted it further out to the right between those last two rungs.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_162833_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_162859

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_172408

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 20201022_172425_HDR

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I run half marathons, but being barely 5”3 with the lift and bigger tires I find it rather challenging to hoist my rump up on the tailgate. I’m currently using a little portable step.
I always find it interesting - the thing about forums - ask about something and you get replies saying you don't need it and you should be doing things differently........... instead of actual answers to the questions asked.

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
Cost was reason 1, then getting banged up with another reason I skipped the step although for a while I was strongly looking at it.

I have part of the mod done on my ladder, just one more thing, then touch up the paint I messed with moving one of the posts for the ladder and re-welding it.
Now to make a small notch in another part and see how it looks.
I was using clamps from my wood shop to hold the mounting plate on the tail gate to try things out, that helped a whole lot.
The ladder is easily removed by pulling 2 pins if you don't want it back there. The mount stays on the tail gate. I cringe like crazy DRILLING holes, but then, if this works, it will be there for years anyway.
So far, so good.
Would love to see a pic once it’s done. I’ll probably keep using my portable step for now. You have way more skills with DIY projects. I strap the step to one of my molle panels when I’m not using it.

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
I moved the front of the two "posts" that hold the ladder to the mounting plate by cutting it off the place and moving it to the rear (closer to the other) by about 1/2" and welding it back in place.
It still left one of the pieces resting against the tailgate cable, so I notched a piece on the ladder to clear the cable.
I also did not mount the straps where and how they said as I didn't want to drill still more holes in my tailgate - so I used existing screws. They wanted that strap mounted between the first and second ladder rung, that would have demanded two new holes. I moved the strap to between the 2nd and 3rd.
I did not yet put the 2 square plastic plugs into the square stud ends after welding - almost forgot, removed them to prevent melting them from the welding.......... so those square studs sticking up don't have the plastic plugs in them yet.

It works, after getting the tires up into the truck for my wave rotation and oil change, it started raining so I had to move the ramps and get the truck back into the garage to strap the tires down - using the ladder to get into the truck.

Here's the part I notched - just one side, and just to clear the cable better. I may put a piece of fuel line on that part of the cable to help my OCD stop thinking about it.

The forward mounting post -the one on the right in this picture, was mounted clear out to the front edge (right edge in this photo).
I moved it in a bit to help move the ladder a bit away from the cable (and bumper)
My weld looks like crap in this picture! (well, they aren't things of art anyway, but not as bad as the pic, either)

To remove the ladder completely, you simply pull the two pins and the nylon washers.

Another view of the square post I moved, it was clear at the corner of the plate. I moved it inward.
Also, a view of the tailgate cable - the cable is not even quite touching the ladder.

Ladder strapped - used existing screws to attach the strap. They wanted it further out to the right between those last two rungs.

That’s awesome!

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN

That’s awesome!
I always find it interesting - the thing about forums - ask about something and you get replies saying you don't need it and you should be doing things differently........... instead of actual answers to the questions asked.
Do you think this item would work if I did not weld anything but figured a way to put that notch in the ladder for the cable? I have searched everywhere but have not found any ladder that is made for the Gladiator. There is no way I will be able to weld anything😕

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think this item would work if I did not weld anything but figured a way to put that notch in the ladder for the cable? I have searched everywhere but have not found any ladder that is made for the Gladiator. There is no way I will be able to weld anything😕
That seems to be the only real hiccup is the fact it hits that cable. I had thought about simply notching that part and lining the notch with a small fuel hose slit down the side to line the notch like a grommet.

If you were close I'd say bring it over and I'd move that piece over (another excuse to use my MIG welder that sits 50 weeks out of every year)

On the other hand, that piece I notched is plenty strong, I think it says it will support up to 250 pounds, or maybe it was higher. That part is pretty stout, extremely unlikely to break or twist even with more notched out than I did.

I have used the ladder several times now - most recent when the water heater in the house gave out and I went to get a new one. Sure was nice flipping the ladder out and climbing up into the truck. I use the back upper corner of the box side to hold while walking up or down the ladder, works fine.
I'm happy with it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The fold up step on the right, actually sticks out enough that it can be used with the tailgate down.

BedStep2.jpg

bedstep.jpg
Yes, but 3 to 4 times the cost, and vulnerable to road rash and a beating from rocks (here, from hard snow/ice pack)
It's fine for those who want it or still have great knees and can flex like a kid (or are tall)
I believer those steps were actually mentioned earlie (post 7)

I looked into those "steps" but decided the cost was too extreme considering the negatives for my purposes - it wouldn't do well in Iowa winters (anything sticking down ends up with 50 pounds of ice on it) and still was a single step up - meaning I'd step up what, 17" compared to standard ladders or steps)
The ladder has more steps - 12" standard rise - no having to hoist myself up.
The step still has a 17-19" rise, a single added step between ground and tailgate. (depending on the lift of your truck of course)

So it wasn't for me.
My wife with her bad knees can use the ladder, the step won't work for her so that was a consideration.
And I have about 150 bucks to spend on something else LOL

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Yes, but 3 to 4 times the cost, and vulnerable to road rash and a beating from rocks (here, from hard snow/ice pack)
It's fine for those who want it or still have great knees and can flex like a kid (or are tall)
I believer those steps were actually mentioned earlie (post 7)

I looked into those "steps" but decided the cost was too extreme considering the negatives for my purposes - it wouldn't do well in Iowa winters (anything sticking down ends up with 50 pounds of ice on it) and still was a single step up - meaning I'd step up what, 17" compared to standard ladders or steps)
The ladder has more steps - 12" standard rise - no having to hoist myself up.
The step still has a 17-19" rise, a single added step between ground and tailgate. (depending on the lift of your truck of course)

So it wasn't for me.
My wife with her bad knees can use the ladder, the step won't work for her so that was a consideration.
And I have about 150 bucks to spend on something else LOL
Heading into my second Canadian winter on the east coast and I do have to disagree with your comment on "vulnerable to road rash and a beating from rocks (here, from hard snow/ice pack)". For me the step was exactly what I wanted and worked for me. To each his own, after your mods it's great your steps are working for you. Cheers!
Just for interest, the following winter pics are all within walking distance to my place in the city after a storm.

Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? pei-snow-2015
Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? PEI Winter

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
The fold up step on the right, actually sticks out enough that it can be used with the tailgate down.

Looks good, thanks for sharing these images. I'm considering this step also, its a challenge for me somedays to climb into the truck bed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I've seen the type that mounts and comes down to the side as well. About the same, but instead of back like this one, it's more to the side. There are so many choices! Something for everyone.
Sponsored