Stock Jeep Support Group

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Confession: I installed a lift, wheels, and tires on my last Jeep. I enjoyed the way it drove and it’s off road capability despite the compromises in gas mileage and acceleration.

For my JTR, I would like to keep it stock but need emotional support.

1. I need to tow, and do not want to give up any power/torque on large wheels/tires.

2. I need to save the money.

3. My Jeeps have a history of breaking, and I would like to have warranty service without trouble. Already had a bad steering box and failing rear axle locker.

4. My stock Rubi is already very capable off road.

Oh look at those big tires...

Steady. Focus. It’s fine the way it is...

Again, I need help.
Sponsored

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The JTR's should have come with 35's. The performance wasn't compromised when I put 315/70-17 KO2's on mine. No noticeable hit on towing. Not a CHANCE of overwhelming the running gear with just 35's, this is a stock size for both Hummer H2's and Ford Raptors.

Not cheap, but I offset my costs by popping the 33's on my YJ, which was due for tires. The stock Falkens are good tires, a buddy has them for his vintage V10 Expedtion, but I have a multi-decade history using BFG AT's and I am happy to spend the $$ on this upgrade.

The Tazer JL is a must buy for Rubicon owners, in my opinion. You can do Tazer and 35's on stock rims for less than $2K.

Confession: I installed a lift, wheels, and tires on my last Jeep. I enjoyed the way it drove and it’s off road capability despite the compromises in gas mileage and acceleration.

1. I need to tow, and do not want to give up any power/torque on large wheels/tires.

3. My Jeeps have a history of breaking, and I would like to have warranty service without trouble. Already had a bad steering box and failing rear axle locker.

Again, I need help.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The JTR's should have come with 35's. The performance wasn't compromised when I put 315/70-17 KO2's on mine. No noticeable hit on towing. Not a CHANCE of overwhelming the running gear with just 35's, this is a stock size for both Hummer H2's and Ford Raptors.

Not cheap, but I offset my costs by popping the 33's on my YJ, which was due for tires. The stock Falkens are good tires, a buddy has them for his vintage V10 Expedtion, but I have a multi-decade history using BFG AT's and I am happy to spend the $$ on this upgrade.

The Tazer JL is a must buy for Rubicon owners, in my opinion. You can do Tazer and 35's on stock rims for less than $2K.
Yeah, 35s are pretty great...

Wait, are you talking about mods?!?!? This is the Stock Jeep Support Group Thread.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Again, I need help.
You've seen the videos, the ads, the promotions, the articles by the auto rags - these are extremely capable stock, right out of the factory.
Fact is that a lot of mods are done for looks. Sure some of the serious folks that climb a 170% grade or rocks nearly straight up - that's different.....
You nailed it "oh, look at those big tires" - is that why you'd want them? To look at, or are they needed?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Eugene is the Jeep’s name, from Popeye.
It was in 1936 when Eugene the Jeep, a cartoon character, first appeared in the Popeye comic strips. Eugene was a cute little guy—a fuzzy creature the size of a small dog, with the ability to disappear into the fourth dimension in an emergency and to foresee the future. He ate a diet of orchids and the only sound he could make was “jeep, jeep.”

Eugene was tremendously popular and adopted as a mascot by several government contractors and other corporations in the late 1930’s. A bomber plane, a naval boat, an Army truck, and other military vehicles were whimsically referred to as Jeeps. Some even had Eugene’s picture painted on the side.

When the Army introduced its small all-terrain reconnaissance vehicle in 1941, the little car was made mainly by two big companies, Willys-Overland and Ford. It just so happened that Ford, on its models, used the factory designation GP (G for government contract and P as a code for 80-inch wheelbase).

So GP wasn’t an Army designation, it didn’t stand for “general purpose,” and it wasn’t the origin of the name “Jeep.”
When Willys-Overland unveiled its prototype, reporters wanted to know its name. The publicist said, “You can call it a Jeep.” Later Willys began using the name officially.

Taken from -
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/01/why-is-a-jeep-called-a-jeep.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
It was in 1936 when Eugene the Jeep, a cartoon character, first appeared in the Popeye comic strips. Eugene was a cute little guy—a fuzzy creature the size of a small dog, with the ability to disappear into the fourth dimension in an emergency and to foresee the future. He ate a diet of orchids and the only sound he could make was “jeep, jeep.”

Eugene was tremendously popular and adopted as a mascot by several government contractors and other corporations in the late 1930’s. A bomber plane, a naval boat, an Army truck, and other military vehicles were whimsically referred to as Jeeps. Some even had Eugene’s picture painted on the side.

When the Army introduced its small all-terrain reconnaissance vehicle in 1941, the little car was made mainly by two big companies, Willys-Overland and Ford. It just so happened that Ford, on its models, used the factory designation GP (G for government contract and P as a code for 80-inch wheelbase).

So GP wasn’t an Army designation, it didn’t stand for “general purpose,” and it wasn’t the origin of the name “Jeep.”
When Willys-Overland unveiled its prototype, reporters wanted to know its name. The publicist said, “You can call it a Jeep.” Later Willys began using the name officially.

Taken from -
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/01/why-is-a-jeep-called-a-jeep.html
Indeed. There are a few stories out there. The soldiers at Camp Ripley are also taking credit for the name.

Jeep Gladiator Stock Jeep Support Group 781CADD0-A298-49A4-A601-6A3295B51CBB

Jeep Gladiator Stock Jeep Support Group 4BCEB961-448C-4073-BF73-157C2BAB46F8

Jeep Gladiator Stock Jeep Support Group 12B699E0-7C37-4E2A-AEE6-8B3432584EF4

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Popeye character, word and sound existed before the vehicle.............
In any case, this statement -

>>When Willys-Overland unveiled its prototype, reporters wanted to know its name. The publicist said, “You can call it a Jeep.” Later Willys began using the name officially.<<

Can be researched and perhaps verified in archives with enough time.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Hi my name is jack and I’m a stocker!
Ordered a Mojave which is very capable of doing what I need it to do, with mild trail driving and most workouts will be towing and driving on east coast beaches surf fishing. I think I have it worse then you I am probably the only guy on this site to have checked out Falkens website to see what narrower 33” tires they have and they do have 33”/ 10” wide versus the factory wide tires, and they weigh a lot less....
......Hi my name is Jack and I have a problem!

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Oops, Falkens
LT255/80R17 “E” 33.1” x10” 52.5lbs
LT285/70R17 “C” 32.8”x11.2” 62.8llbs