First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Hit a turkey on ownership day #2 and bent the antenna.
Makes sense.

I don't get that it looks "terrible". It looks like the antenna on every other vehicle that has one. Works fine on my JT. A solution looking for a problem, to me.
Sponsored

Fundamental Jeepster

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
retired
Ok, I'll be the guy that says it:

Why replace the stock antenna at all?

Gains you nothing, loses reception for a lot of guys, not to mention $15 to $25.

Just GOTTA spend more money on something?
I did it for the look. Looks better to me. I don't use the radio, I listen to my music memory stick.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Saying a 6" long antenna made of aluminum and copper is just as efficient as the stock 3ft metal antenna to an antenna guy is like saying you swapped the spark plug cables in your JT with special ones and now your 3.6L is doing 500HP to an engine guy. I'm an antenna guy and it just doesn't work like that.

I went with a smaller antenna for the same reasons as others, to avoid snagging stuff on the trail and the loss of reception doesn't matter since I use satellite all the time.

I disagree, I actually tested both on my JKU on a few trips to the beach about 4 different times a 6" stubby made from rubber, a 6" stubby made from aluminum with copper, a 13" rubber and the stock one and I can tell you the 13" rubber one was the worst out of the bunch, and the 6" aluminum one with copper was just as efficient as the stock long antenna, this was going the same trip, same route on multiple occasions to ocean isle beach in NC so plenty of in the middle of nowhere driving. I drove until I lost signal listening to the same FM station 106.5 on every trip and noted where the signal faded each time.

If the size had something to do with it then why does my BMW X5 50i get better reception for a longer distance than any other vehicle with a antenna i have owned. It doesn't have a physical antenna on it.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Saying a 6" long antenna made of aluminum and copper is just as efficient as the stock 3ft metal antenna to an antenna guy is like saying you swapped the spark plug cables in your JT with special ones and now your 3.6L is doing 500HP to an engine guy. I'm an antenna guy and it just doesn't work like that.
Another (former) RF guy here agrees. There is science behind RF transmission and reception.

Oh, and the antenna system on the BMW is more sophisticated than the simple unit on our JTs. I still run the factory antenna because I do like local AM/FM.

Run what you like, but in the name of Physics, folks need to stop saying th shorties perform the same as the factory element.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
And there will be differences in performance among the shorties. An antenna cranked out by a quick to make a buck accy vendor will probably receive worse than an engineered solution of the same size.

Another (former) RF guy here agrees. There is science behind RF transmission and reception.

Oh, and the antenna system on the BMW is more sophisticated than the simple unit on our JTs. I still run the factory antenna because I do like local AM/FM.

Run what you like, but in the name of Physics, folks need to stop saying th shorties perform the same as the factory element.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

I went with a smaller antenna for the same reasons as others, to avoid snagging stuff on the trail and the loss of reception doesn't matter since I use satellite all the time.
Whatever you say, I guess your the expert. I don't have a degree in antennas, just know what I tested out and how it performed and the 6 inch like I said performed as well as the stock antenna in my testing of it but I guess we all can say what we want on the internet, antenna guy, LMFAO!!!!!

Hey but I did stay at a Holiday in last night!

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Executive
Jeep Gladiator Stubby antenna recommendations JT Antenna
Just put theRugged Ridge 13” on mine. Easy install and I got it for under $20. Screws right into the existing cap.
I'm not understanding how it goes on. The male end for the stock antenna is a larger diameter than the Rugged Ridge one. How did you adapt it?