First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Mechanic
Just got email saying I should soon get payment email and have one on the way. Thanks for all the reviews and info. Question for those who’ve installed - I have a JTop shade that I keep on under the hard top and when topless to give some shade to my young son in the back. It attaches by buckled straps that wrap around the roll bar. Pics of the Suntop and install pics / videos look like there may be enough of a gap between the brackets and roll bar to keep the JTop sunshade on underneath. Anyone have any thoughts or pics that may help? Just trying to think of any last minute details before pulling the trigger. Thanks all.
There’s plenty of room around roll bar for straps, depends if they are where the bolts for door surrounds are though would be the only issue
Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I want the suntop because it's a third of the price of the factory softop. Appearances aren't the determining factor, although I do think the suntop is more attractive. But I'll buy whichever is cheaper.
Keep an eye on craigslist or FB market place.
I see factory tops around $1000 or less.

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
No I had only ran in safari mode once and I got up to 72 no issues, but I had trimmed the plastic down so it fits in the cab groove better, had an idea for some bolt on brackets for the buckles
I think I'm going to grab a couple of spring clips or something like that and drill a hole through the roomerang somewhere down low to attach to.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
For those who have installed, curious how loud you’d say it is when covered up and running on highway. Or any other specific concerns or cons you’d note. About to pull trigger and respond to my email to pay and finalize order, just some last minute checks. Thanks all.

smw17gladiator

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Max Tow
Could someone post some photos of where the rubber gasket seals should attach to the brackets? When I had everything painted, the shop took them off, and they don't remember where they belong. The also took the front and rear bracket off the main rail, and put it back together incorrectly. I was able to figure that out, but I might need to make some adjustments.
Just curious how much you paid for color match painting on metal pieces. I’m sure prices differ by area, just curious order of magnitude. Thanks and congrats. And any pics of the color match would be awesome.

Sponsored

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanic
For those who have installed, curious how loud you’d say it is when covered up and running on highway. Or any other specific concerns or cons you’d note. About to pull trigger and respond to my email to pay and finalize order, just some last minute checks. Thanks all.
It’s fairly noisy in my opinion

Wkyfiregladdy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanic
I haven’t rode in a gladiator with oem soft top so I have nothing to compare it to

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Just curious how much you paid for color match painting on metal pieces. I’m sure prices differ by area, just curious order of magnitude. Thanks and congrats. And any pics of the color match would be awesome.
About $380. I still need to install it, but between rain, being busy with work, and away on the weekends, I haven't been able to. Also, I need to figure out where the rubber seals are supposed to go on the frames. Body shop removed them, and then couldn't remember which side they belong.

Will post pics when I get it all sorted out.

Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
About $380. I still need to install it, but between rain, being busy with work, and away on the weekends, I haven't been able to. Also, I need to figure out where the rubber seals are supposed to go on the frames. Body shop removed them, and then couldn't remember which side they belong.

If I remember correctly there is a long strip of velcro under the windshield header, and maybe some foam strip or something you apply to the underside of the material where it sits on the Jeep?

Then there is a length of D-shaped seal that goes above the doors on the surrounds where the doors close. It doesn't seem to matter much because mine all fell off and it doesn't really leak.

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon

The D channel rubber went front the front of the bracket to just behind the front door. It was placed against the bottom edge of the side facing out. I'll grab a picture when I can.

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I have both the factory premium and the Suntop right now. Like many I dislike the "Man Bun" and wanted to see a different option. Unlike many I run topless/doorless most of the summer and will be using it like a Bimini top.
Install: The factory top wins out here. Especially after I got it installed the first time. Lining up the rear window bracket only needs to be done once and that was the most time consuming part. The Suntop Roomarang rear screw is a a bit of a pain to do. Honestly, I think you could run it without it like others. If Suntop extended the base to wrap around farther and used the next factory nut it would make the install a lot easier.

Driving: I haven't installed the rear window on either top so this is just based off that experience. The Factory Premium is the quieter of the two. The Suntop is noisier overall and has a little flapping at highway speeds on occasion (it's not consistent and one could definitely live with it). I think adding some velco to the Roomerang and cross bar above the front seats conecting it to the top like the Factory top would eliminate that. The Factory hasn't flapped at all on me on the highway. Both do a decent job of blocking the sun or the rain if running this way.

Open Top: The Suntop gives you the most open top feel by having the ability to just roll up in an instant. The factory has the flop back (which is very easy and quick to do). It's honestly comes down to what you prefer here.

So which one will I keep?
I went half of last summer top less. This year I've had my doors off for 5 months so far and hard top off for 2. I love driving this thing naked with a sunscreen. When I do have a soft top on it's due to weather and almost always without windows. It means the ability to fully remove and reinstall the factory top is a big factor for me. I've never opened the top of the Suntop or factory soft top when installed so far. Which means I'm not taking advantage of the Suntop's best feature.

I think the Suntop is a good option for people looking for a cheaper alternative or wanting a full open top feel while having a soft top. I had the Suntop first and had I not fell into a Premium Factory Top I would be happy with it. For the way I'm using it I'm going to keep my factory top and list the Suntop on the market place with a nice discount.

Last edited:

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Jeep Gladiator Suntop Soft Top 06A8FEA1-BC84-4524-B1B8-D9AC10B92CC0
here is my solution to the bikini top straps pulling loose. If I felt comfortable sewing the straps around them I would have just done that, but I opted instead to cram the plastic strips through the slot and then trim them once I was confident it would work.

This is what I bought. I tucked two washers underneath to allow room for the straps.
I think Velcro would be fine on the straps, eliminating the need for the buckles. But I like the buckles honestly.

GPCA Tie-Down D-Ring/D-Plate Buckle for Wrangler JL JK YJ LJ TJ CJ Sport Sahara Rubicon Unlimited 4 Door/ 2DR, (6 Pack Tie-Down D-Plate) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N8TBK...abc_R5PVW4HSX92Q1AD0V3ZB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The best part is I can just leave them attached all summer and not have to keep track of the little buckles when not in use

D1260406-394C-448B-8FBB-DE3BDD99099B.jpeg

3D40A011-7E30-484A-844E-2300C9299DD3.jpeg

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Suntop Soft Top 3D40A011-7E30-484A-844E-2300C9299DD3
here is my solution to the bikini top straps pulling loose. If I felt comfortable sewing the straps around them I would have just done that, but I opted instead to cram the plastic strips through the slot and then trim them once I was confident it would work.

This is what I bought. I tucked two washers underneath to allow room for the straps.
I think Velcro would be fine on the straps, eliminating the need for the buckles. But I like the buckles honestly.

GPCA Tie-Down D-Ring/D-Plate Buckle for Wrangler JL JK YJ LJ TJ CJ Sport Sahara Rubicon Unlimited 4 Door/ 2DR, (6 Pack Tie-Down D-Plate) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074N8TBK...abc_R5PVW4HSX92Q1AD0V3ZB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The best part is I can just leave them attached all summer and not have to keep track of the little buckles when not in use

Nice!
Sponsored