Sponsored

Supercharger- Can anyone guess what brand I Won’t be buying!?

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Professional Dork
davecs1, i completely agree with your point. As an enterprise architect/dork, I see a corollary with software. Lacking the engagement from Stellantis to plan an actual roadmap, supercharger manufacturers have to work with what they have. I've read many of your posts here, and come to the conclusion that most of the aftermarket is very not all bad. The end consumers just have to take more hands on approach to ensure sustainability of their chosen enhancement. Hence, reliance on forums and *hopefully* engagement from vendors on such forums.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be clear, my post about 2021 trucks and the operating system is not about the dealer touching the truck.

Jeep has done two very strange things to the 3.6L Gladiators that will be a gift that keeps on giving for years to come.

1. There are a number of jeeps running around with undocumented GPEC5 ECMs 18,19,20, AND 21 Jeeps use a GPEC2A ECM. There is no support for the GPEC5.

2. Just like your phone uses android versions or you PC uses windows versions. The engine controller in your Jeep has an Operating System. Usually it is no big deal to make an update inside of a Windows version for security or useability, bit jeep did not make an OS update. Using my example, they went from using Windows 8 to like using Windows 11. The menus to select and change stuff have been moved or redefined. And to make things more interesting not all 21 Jeeps have this OS update, and some have hybrid versions of this update.

I am slowly rectifying number 2 with HP tuners, but I am seeing a proliferation of operating Systems in 2021. I had a customer send in his tune this weekend and HP Tuners only had a handful of tables ot could access, not enough to set it up for supercharging.

I am looking at alternate solutions, like using older operating systems, but that needs development that I currently dont have the funds to do. Basically it will be like wiping a PC and putting a fresh OS on it. That is fine and all, bit who wants to offer up their Jeep for that test?

I would need to have backup unlocked ECMs with the working OS on it, and on top of that there are a bunch of things that will need logged to make sure all the features are working correctly with the engine hardware. If variable lift is not working you could wipe a cam. The cooled EGR does not come on you will overheat the intake, etc.

Anyway I digress. At the wnd of the day there is no simple clean way for a supercharger manufacturer to offer a bullet proof tune on the Jeep Gladiator unless they also offer their OWN ECM, that does a self check on the harness pin out.
Jeep running Windows 8 would explain a lot of things..........
J/K - I know they don't run windows. If they did, I'd have to pull over and reboot every few days.

I assume proprietary OS - nothing like OS9, Linux, etc.

I'm guessing that the "hybrid" version is some sort of morphing where they had to slowly apply changes while other things went into place.

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
I am one of those hybrids I take it? I have been patiently waiting for a working drivable tune. It has been an ongoing battle and the busier Dave gets I know I move further down the line. He’s had his hands full with my Mojave since February. I have not daily driven my truck since we started this endeavor. It is sickening to no end. I fear every single day that I may just be left to using the Magnuson tune and suing for repairs when it grenades my motor. How many people can you count on one hand that would be happy possibly ruining their dream Jeep?
This is saying NOT ONE NEGATIVE THING about Dave. He is patient and has went above and beyond to help me.
Sponsored