First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
If I understand correctly, 4 pins and 4 possible positions for each pin would actually be 256 combinations. 2 pins with 4 possible positions would equal 16 combinations.
You are correct, it's 4^4, not 4*4 😉
Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
You can buy a radio signal booster and boost signal of key in the house to open doors or start it.
Extended range only helps someone using a relay attack (which is more common than you think). When not in use, I keep my fob in a Faraday Cage type bag.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Extended range only helps someone using a relay attack (which is more common than you think). When not in use, I keep my fob in a Faraday Cage type bag.
I am SOOO glad I live in the country, JT is in a locked garage, FOB not near it.
My neighbor watches things close - so much so she scared the crap out of my brother who had driven his car down our driveway and was walking up to the door......... we were gone. Our neighbor came over and asked who he was and what his business there was. Funny thing - many people used to say my younger brother and I were twins. Today most still see we're brothers. That lady takes no chances, though - she has a phone and isn't afraid to use it and her husband is good with a pistol.

If I lived in town - my wife makes holders to protect credit cards and has the fabric used by many wallet and money belt makers to block RF signals. She made one for herself last time she went to Switzerland for a vacation with her quilting friends.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2-cents;

If your Jeep is topless, assume you have no locking storage. In fact, it's best to not even try to lock your storage. From personal experience I've had idiots break the plastic locks on both my glove box and center console on prior Jeeps looking for god knows what. Now I'd rather just leave it unlocked and let them see that it's just insurance paperwork.

Same with the top and doors. If you've got a soft top, just don't lock the thing. Too many fools will slice the top with a knife to break into it. Better to just leave the vehicle unlocked IMHO.
I've heard stories of people putting post it notes on the inside of the windows that says

" Doors unlocked. please don't cut the top. Nothing valuable inside. You are free to check. "

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I fully understand the vulnerability of all motor vehicles. Take this for example: When I was working the street I caught a suspected car thief with a large amount of broken pieces of porcelain from used spark plugs in his pocket. I asked him what it was for and after a while he admitted that if he just threw a piece of porcelain at a car window it would click, and then all he had to do was push in on the window and the window would shatter. he called it "Shatter Rock". We went to the local junk yard and sure enough it worked! We booked him for possession of burglary tools and he was convicted. The case went through several appeals and was finally upheld. Point is, in what manner do these people find out how to use commonly found substances to defeat what is engineered by experts to protect, and.... there is no lock or mechanism that will fully protect your Jeep or any other vehicle for that matter.

At home, I use an Atticus. Works just fine and after one would be burglar got his ass significantly mauled the word got out. I told him as the paramedics were stuffing packing in a fist sized hole that should he return, Atticus had the green light to finish the effing job. Lights, cameras, vigilance, and an Atticus have served me well.
Atti Jeep 2.jpg
That Atticus is one good lookin pup! I have an Axel...95# Dobie for that task.

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
When I have the doors off, I keep the glove box and center locked for now. Won't keep someone who wants to get in, out but keeps the kids looking for change and to steal anything miscellaneous from doing so.
Usually keep some spare cash, gas card, EZ pass in the car. Those are the only things I'd be pissed losing. Going to look into one of the underseat lock boxes to keep those items in.

area5179

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
My uncle had a Camaro convertible once and said he NEVER locked it. It was easier to just leave the doors unlocked and kept the top from being cut open. I plan on doing the same thing when using my soft top. I never keep anything valuable (ie change, cellphone, iPod) inside. I just keep my registration and insurance card, nothing else. They can feel free to rummage about inside all they want.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised no Jeep owner has a pet rattle snake they let sleep in their Jeeps - might help prevent rummaging inside, or if not, you'd soon know who was doing the rummaging.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I'm surprised no Jeep owner has a pet rattle snake they let sleep in their Jeeps - might help prevent rummaging inside, or if not, you'd soon know who was doing the rummaging.
I wonder how feasible it would be to wire in a sound recorder that played the sound of a rattlesnake when the doors were opened? lol. Might just scare a burglar off.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard stories of people putting post it notes on the inside of the windows that says

" Doors unlocked. please don't cut the top. Nothing valuable inside. You are free to check. "
I'd leave the windows down, in my LJ when I had the soft top on. I don't remember ever locking the doors and had to tell a army buddy to not lock the door. I've got the Tuffy security drawer in back, glove box and console plus gas cap lid. None of them are secure from a determined thief. Remember to always keep a backhoe and land available.😉

Bill
I have to check mine out before I get in it now for just that reason. I have a good population of timber rattlesnake and copperheads in my backyard.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I do the same

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
People in towns where the Jeep is in a driveway or parked along the street - key fob hanging on a hook next to the door which is on an outside wall. What, 30-50 feet? Too easy.
All one needs to do is drop it into something that blocks RF - or at least keep it in the house away from outside walls. I have even seen people keep the keys in the garage with the vehicle so they are only 10-20 feet away from each other.

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
Try this,,,, Move out of range for your FOB then hold it against the bottom of your chin. It uses the water in your head as an antenna and you get more range !
Sponsored