Survey- For those with misfire issues

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
Other than total lack of misfire at any temperature, no. In my case it was pre-TSB and they simply did a force relearn of CCDIFF.
Maybe if it's done via a flash of some sort, it does other resets.
In any case, here's hoping your JT is now as great as most of them are.
Im a bit nervous though. Other than the 3 CEL's, it has never run bad at all, not once. 20 mpg on the highway, 16 around town.
Sponsored

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic designer
Got the truck back. It actually felt and sounded like it was running smoother and quieter. Maybe I'm imagining it. Anyway, it's good to have it back with no CEL. Im posting 2 images of the the work they did.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues IMG_4735
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues IMG_4736

Last edited:

Idlethunder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Im a bit nervous though. Other than the 3 CEL's, it has never run bad at all, not once. 20 mpg on the highway, 16 around town.
My 22 Rubicon 3.6 had the misfire problem for several months before they finally came out with the update. Mine started around April 2022 and they finally resolved it around the middle of December by forcing the relearn that ShadowsPapa mentions. With mine, the Jeep ran perfectly with no noticeable misfires other than the cel until October or November. When they changed, the misfires were obvious. There were a few so bad that the engine shut down completely. Since they performed the relearn, the truck has run great with no CELs or engine trouble at all. Hopefully you will see similar results with yours.

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Graphic designer
My 22 Rubicon 3.6 had the misfire problem for several months before they finally came out with the update. Mine started around April 2022 and they finally resolved it around the middle of December by forcing the relearn that ShadowsPapa mentions. With mine, the Jeep ran perfectly with no noticeable misfires other than the cel until October or November. When they changed, the misfires were obvious. There were a few so bad that the engine shut down completely. Since they performed the relearn, the truck has run great with no CELs or engine trouble at all. Hopefully you will see similar results with yours.
Been driving it today, running great. I'll be taking it to FL on Sunday, 600 miles down, 600 back.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
My gladiator is out of warranty. I have had the misfire on 3 several times now. Took to a shop who said nothing is wrong with it at all. It continues to run rough when idling. Runs fine at highway speeds. If I take it to the dealer to have the update do they charge for out of warranty vehicles?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My gladiator is out of warranty. I have had the misfire on 3 several times now. Took to a shop who said nothing is wrong with it at all. It continues to run rough when idling. Runs fine at highway speeds. If I take it to the dealer to have the update do they charge for out of warranty vehicles?
What update are you talking about? (or which update, may be the better wording)
And - any vehicle out of powertrain warranty will see a charge for pretty much anything.
This thread contains talk of misfires for a host of reasons, some cold, some hot, some only when it's a hot restart, and so on.
There's no single "update" to cover all cases or circumstances, so it would be good to know exactly when you get the misfires, under what circumstances.
As far as running rough at idle............. some shops just don't know squat about modern engines, or certain modern engines, so unless they are a reputable shop very much up on Jeep engines, they won't know what to do.

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably will jinx myself for writing this... but since the update to the software, and additional 9,000 miles, no issues.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If I take it to the dealer to have the update do they charge for out of warranty vehicles?
Unless it is a recall or "Customer Satisfaction" campaign, any TSB or other software updates are going to be customer out of pocket expenses once past the vehicle warranty period.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
What update are you talking about? (or which update, may be the better wording)
And - any vehicle out of powertrain warranty will see a charge for pretty much anything.
This thread contains talk of misfires for a host of reasons, some cold, some hot, some only when it's a hot restart, and so on.
There's no single "update" to cover all cases or circumstances, so it would be good to know exactly when you get the misfires, under what circumstances.
As far as running rough at idle............. some shops just don't know squat about modern engines, or certain modern engines, so unless they are a reputable shop very much up on Jeep engines, they won't know what to do.

I should have been much more descriptive I apologize. So 5 days ago I took the vehicle to dinner with the family (driving about 30 miles). Parked the vehicle for 2 hrs, then driving home the engine light came on. Parked the vehicle in garage for 2 hrs, went out to start it up and it misfired. Next day went to have the code read and half way into the trip to do this the engine light turned off. Took it to a shop and they confirmed misfire on 3. They took the coil and spark plug from 3 swapped it to 5 and drove it around. They stated they could not find anything wrong w it at all. But confirmed the misfire code on 3. Took it to work that day. In the parking lot of work while idling the rpms started dropping heavily almost to the point of shutting off. Gave it gas and problem seemed magically fixed. Drove it to work again last night and while in parking lot idling I noticed what seemed to sound like the fan (possibly) running very loud and then The rpm's dropped again. Gave it gas and it all went away. Through this process the engine light has never turned on again. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Do you recommend taking it to the dealer?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I should have been much more descriptive I apologize. So 5 days ago I took the vehicle to dinner with the family (driving about 30 miles). Parked the vehicle for 2 hrs, then driving home the engine light came on. Parked the vehicle in garage for 2 hrs, went out to start it up and it misfired. Next day went to have the code read and half way into the trip to do this the engine light turned off. Took it to a shop and they confirmed misfire on 3. They took the coil and spark plug from 3 swapped it to 5 and drove it around. They stated they could not find anything wrong w it at all. But confirmed the misfire code on 3. Took it to work that day. In the parking lot of work while idling the rpms started dropping heavily almost to the point of shutting off. Gave it gas and problem seemed magically fixed. Drove it to work again last night and while in parking lot idling I noticed what seemed to sound like the fan (possibly) running very loud and then The rpm's dropped again. Gave it gas and it all went away. Through this process the engine light has never turned on again. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Do you recommend taking it to the dealer?
I would talk to the dealer at least.......... misfires are not ever good, can be fairly benign or be caused by something that's only going to get worse down the road (could be a long road or a short road)
Too many shops read only generic codes and can do only basics based on the codes. Some companies, FCA included, have some codes specific to FCA vehicles.
They need to look beyond whether or not a code is stored.
They need to grab a freeze frame, and determine if the misfire is ignition or fuel.
So if they simply saw P0303 then it's a misfire on 3 - but was it ignition or fuel?
In my case, it was only evident after a hot restart - sometimes so mild you could not feel it, but it set the light, other times you could feel it and it never set the light. Usually it disappeared after a minute or so, one time it got gradually worse through the first 2 or 3 minutes to the point of shaking the whole truck - the misfires were mostly one cylinder, but always the same bank.
The fix for mine was to force a CCDIFF relearn - they can go in and check the PCM for the CCDIFF and look for specific settings - it may say not set or not learned (can't recall the exact wording without looking at my log dump)
What it meant is the system hadn't learned the relationship between crank position and cam position. They fixed it by forcing it to try to learn again.
Later a fix came out in the form of a "flash" that basically did the same thing, perhaps with some other tweaks.

There have been other "flashes" that changed how the PCM determined a misfire among other things. Seems to me there are at least 3 "flashes" that have an impact on misfires so when someone says "I had the flash done and it fixed it" I want to say - WHICH flash??

I probably will jinx myself for writing this... but since the update to the software, and additional 9,000 miles, no issues.
Which one? For which issue? There's been more than one.
We're in a mis here over 100 pages of misfire talk - and likely a half dozen (at least) possible causes, and possible fixes, and multiple "flashes".
Mine was flashed for a misfire - but it won't take care of a cold misfire or a misfire under load driving down the highway.

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which one? For which issue? There's been more than one.
We're in a mis here over 100 pages of misfire talk - and likely a half dozen (at least) possible causes, and possible fixes, and multiple "flashes".
Mine was flashed for a misfire - but it won't take care of a cold misfire or a misfire under load driving down the highway.
I documented it back in September 18

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...th-misfire-issues.24853/page-122#post-1191543

Software update: Performed rapid response 08-071-22 Rev C Update PCM Software
Sponsored