TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
As for the guy whose wife also has a Jeep, You married the right woman! I can't get mine to go offroad with me. Something about mountains, thousand foot drops, getting stuck in large mud puddles etc.
Strange, I just assumed everyone's spouse also had a jeep. My kid even has one (power wheels version).
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Strange, I just assumed everyone's spouse also had a jeep. My kid even has one (power wheels version).
Wait, you mean some families only have 1 Jeep? Hell, we have 3, and only 2 drivers.
Please forgive the wife's grill. If her Jeep wasn't grumpy, she would be. I went with the lesser of the two evils.
Jeep Gladiator TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection 1637093620249

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Wait, you mean some families only have 1 Jeep? Hell, we have 3, and only 2 drivers.
Please forgive the wife's grill. If her Jeep wasn't grumpy, she would be. I went with the lesser of the two evils.
Jeep Gladiator TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection 1637093620249
Nice License plate!

AzOldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep Rubicon LJ
I have been working with the Taser folks through this experience. They are very responsive and helpful.
Here is my current status on figuring this out:
I was unloading the bed and noticed the third brake light flash when I slammed the tailgate shut.
Realizing that can't be taser related, I took the tailgate inner panel off to access the light and wiring harness.
I could turn the third brake light off an on by wiggling the connector.
I unplugged the connector and noticed it was full of 'black stuff' (Perhaps dielectric grease turned black from a bad connector causing arc'ing)
I brought it to the dealer who ordered a new light. It came in and they couldn't remove the light from the harness due to some back yard, shade tree mechanic using carburetor cleaner to clean out the connector. Yup, that maroon fused the two pieces together. Now we are waiting on a new harness to finish the testing process. Don't be me, I mean, 'that guy' and use carburetor cleaner on plastic. That's really stupid.
What I'd like to offer, to see if this is a problem with out Gladiators is, open your tailgate, remove the 6 or 8 screws that hold that center panel in, find the wire going to your LED third brake light, and wiggles the connector while observing the light. if you can make it wiggle, then we have found a new 'known' problem with our Jeep.
We will recommend that Jeep use a JL Taser Mini to test for bad connectors. :)
Please post here if you decide to try this and let us know if you also have bad connectors.

As for the guy whose wife also has a Jeep, You married the right woman! I can't get mine to go offroad with me. Something about mountains, thousand foot drops, getting stuck in large mud puddles etc.
Getting to the party a little late here. Is there anymore update with the 3rd Brake Light issue and the Tazer Mini? I just installed the Tazer Mini (Tks Santa) and I cannot find anywhere in the setup menus/live functions where I can turn on/adjust a pulsing third brake light. That being said my third brake light works as it did OEM.

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Updated firmware to 11.3.7 and it killed my third brake light. hmm

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
FWIW, When it was all said and done, the Jeep Dealer found that the connector behind the tailgate panel which attaches at the LED light was carbon fouled from possible arc'ing. The replaced the light and wiring harness, and the Third Brake light has been fine ever since. The Taser apparently only brought my attention to the fact that 'something' was amiss in regards to the third brake light. You can test this by moving the connector around gently while the third brake light is on. I was able to make mine fail and work by just moving the wiring harness connector around.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
After unmarrying it, did you do the full 2.5 minute reboot, and then run it though two actual sleep cycles?
Level ground, foot off the brake, turn the ignition off, close the driver’s door and
wait about 60 seconds AFTER the dash goes dark, turn the ignition on (but not the engine).
Repeat.
Not trying to revive this post, but could you please tell me where to find the information on doing what you described. I'm thinking I might have accidentally made changes I didn't want and I want to make sure everything is back to OEM and I did not F-Up anything... I thought unmarring and the 30 second or so reboot took care of this ? Thanks

Michael8780

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator Clear coat
Occupation
Self employed
Updated firmware to 11.3.7 and it killed my third brake light. hmm
Same for me too Third Brake light died after the update

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Not trying to revive this post, but could you please tell me where to find the information on doing what you described. I'm thinking I might have accidentally made changes I didn't want and I want to make sure everything is back to OEM and I did not F-Up anything... I thought unmarring and the 30 second or so reboot took care of this ? Thanks
Sure. It's in the instructions. Page 6 of the current manual:
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1137.pdf

Jeep Gladiator TASER JL Mini Kills 3rd Brake light upon connection 1656266450492

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military

Sponsored

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same for me too Third Brake light died after the update
I was able to get it working again...I toggled the third brake light pulse off and then back to on, and made sure the number of pulses was at something other than "0". FWIW I already did that once. But second time was the charm!

Michael8780

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
I was able to get it working again...I toggled the third brake light pulse off and then back to on, and made sure the number of pulses was at something other than "0". FWIW I already did that once. But second time was the charm!
Thanks! I actually tested the light with a separate battery and found the brake light to be bad. Already put a new one and now it works when the brakes are pressed. Only thing I was sure of is when I arm the vehicle I thought the third brake light blinked as well but maybe I was mistaken?

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I actually tested the light with a separate battery and found the brake light to be bad. Already put a new one and now it works when the brakes are pressed. Only thing I was sure of is when I arm the vehicle I thought the third brake light blinked as well but maybe I was mistaken?
My 3rd brake light does not flash when I lock or unlock...

Michael8780

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self employed
Awesome thank you for this. I hope the rest of you find a solution as well🤛🏼

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Has it ever? I don't remember it doing that before the tazer.
Sponsored