First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
I've searched, no luck on finding anyone who has installed HIDs. Only thread i found was retrofitting a projector into the stock housing. Will HIDs work or will the system go into limp mode. I know about LEDs and will eventually swap to a LED housing from DD or KC, tell me about HIDs and why no one has installed them.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
No one? Why is everyone scared of HID's now?

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
HID's are old technology. LEDs are the future!

Ive done HID installs on older halogen. I had to split the case of the headlight and remove the 'projector' portion. then reseal (reglue) the housing back together. ran my baffles/computers (you have to have them for HIDs) it was just a turn on from there. They lasted all of 8 months before they started leaking and i purchased new headlights and put LEDs bulbs off amazon.

LEDs are longer lasting and easier to retrofit, thats why you cant find HID answers.

as long as the vehicle reads proper voltage, it wont have an issue. the baffles control the output, the switch just turns them on.

those computers are touchy too, the aftermarket stuff i used was middle of the road and i was still underwhelmed. i want to say i spent about 800 bucks for the HID kit. could have been more, i dont remember tbh.

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
My only issue with LEDs is any reputable brand who makes LEDs does not make a Hi/Lo for our headlight. I get that Beamtech or some others Auxbeam have good reviews... but I prefer to buy once cry once. Plenty of H13 HID systems out there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
HID's are old technology. LEDs are the future!

Ive done HID installs on older halogen. I had to split the case of the headlight and remove the 'projector' portion. then reseal (reglue) the housing back together. ran my baffles/computers (you have to have them for HIDs) it was just a turn on from there. They lasted all of 8 months before they started leaking and i purchased new headlights and put LEDs bulbs off amazon.

LEDs are longer lasting and easier to retrofit, thats why you cant find HID answers.

as long as the vehicle reads proper voltage, it wont have an issue. the baffles control the output, the switch just turns them on.

those computers are touchy too, the aftermarket stuff i used was middle of the road and i was still underwhelmed. i want to say i spent about 800 bucks for the HID kit. could have been more, i dont remember tbh.
I would just be using the bulb, no retrofitting a projector.

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
OP
OP
ATL_Rubi

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
The beam tech led bulbs I put in a while ago work well, they have hi/lo.

That being said I decided to order the new Diode Dynamic headlights.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...de-dynamics-elite-max-led-9in-headlights-pair

I went with the max the get the off road lighting. Hopefully I'll have them this week...
That's the end goal, but for now, with the time change, I have no real need for a full housing replacement. Plus, I want to get the HID's in 3000k just to switch it up a bit.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
That's the end goal, but for now, with the time change, I have no real need for a full housing replacement. Plus, I want to get the HID's in 3000k just to switch it up a bit.
If you had 3k HIDs installed, you would piss a lot off on the road. 3k is borderline yellow, and in a housing made for a halogen light, they're going to be scattered everywhere.

I installed LED bulbs with a hi/lo on my wife's JLU some time ago, and one of her bulbs just started dying last month. The LED bulbs were somewhere around 80 bucks for the pair, and they were one of the top recommended bulbs on the other forums. They lasted roughly 4 years before starting to fade. I upgraded her system with some run of the mill 9" LED projector Amazon special lights for somewhere around 140 bucks with the halos and whatnot, and the difference was night and day. Even for a cheaper set, the projector makes a ridiculous difference. I would never put HIDs in a jeep, too many moving parts for me.
Sponsored