The Beginning of Exciting Times for Jeep Pickup Enthusiasts

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
The decision to build a Jeep pickup is landmark event that could bode well for many exciting vehicles from Jeep. Deciding to build the chassis to accommodate a longer wheel base needed for a truck is the key. Now comes the cabs,

Engineering cab variations at this point is easy and relatively inexpensive. Having followed this Jeep pickup topic for years the hard part engineering-wise was making the decision to convert the old section of the Toledo plant for manufacture of the pickup truck. They tried to develop a truck on the chassis of the Wrangler Unlimited and it just would not fit so it required billions of dollars of investment in a dedicated assembly line for a whole new and longer chassis. What made this all possible in my opinion was the popularity and increased sales volume of the Wrangler. They needed a new plant to accommodate the increased production volume for the Wrangler and they built the new assembly line at Toledo for the JL production. That opened up the old Wrangler JK assembly line for retooling for the pickup truck. That retooling started last March when the last JK rolled off the line and it will complete in January so the first pickups can arrive at dealers in April 2019.

So now that the longer chassis has been accommodated I personally feel we're going to see many variations of a Jeep pickup in the coming years - extended cabs, specialized utility beds - heck maybe even the Red Rock, Crew Chief and the FC! With the chassis now engineered fitting alternative bodies to the chassis is wide open.

images-q-tbn-and9gcqoeppmnr2w2ub0misq8iaybkpevzldcv7qazkefpjjnzcraimixg-jpg.jpg

cn016_020jpe3ilvm2ii7r1v4qfm5a02pssuu-jpg.jpg

jeep-wrangler-red-rock-responder-concept-for-moab-easter-jeep-safari-2015_100505082_l-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
From the quote at the beginning of 2017 from the now departed head of Fiat, the Jeep truck will not be pricing to sell itself vs Ranger or Colorado (though he didn’t really mention Tacoma) and that there will likely only be around 100k a year. From that, it didn’t sound like they were setting themselves up for a new platform to experiment with... moreso they were going to create something for a high paying lifestyle. If that plan stays in place, this will be an expensive truck akin to the Raptor. Only those with a significant amount of disposable income will be able to purchase the truck.

I’m not saying that’s the reality, but it certainly didn’t sound like your more idyllic description of the future of Jeep trucks. I’m betting we’ll get this 4 door version for a few years and as they determine if it’s worth it to play with other tweaks there might be more... but cars are headed towards self-driving and electric, so who can be sure of the fate of the Jeep Truck a decade from now. I think it will get more automatic, stay focused on hauling at least 4-5 people, and less focused on the people wanting a work truck.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
From the quote at the beginning of 2017 from the now departed head of Fiat, the Jeep truck will not be pricing to sell itself vs Ranger or Colorado (though he didn’t really mention Tacoma) and that there will likely only be around 100k a year. From that, it didn’t sound like they were setting themselves up for a new platform to experiment with... moreso they were going to create something for a high paying lifestyle. If that plan stays in place, this will be an expensive truck akin to the Raptor. Only those with a significant amount of disposable income will be able to purchase the truck.

I’m not saying that’s the reality, but it certainly didn’t sound like your more idyllic description of the future of Jeep trucks. I’m betting we’ll get this 4 door version for a few years and as they determine if it’s worth it to play with other tweaks there might be more... but cars are headed towards self-driving and electric, so who can be sure of the fate of the Jeep Truck a decade from now. I think it will get more automatic, stay focused on hauling at least 4-5 people, and less focused on the people wanting a work truck.

You could be right, I personally will be ordering a JT (Gladiator) Rubicon soon after they are available to order. However something to think about is Marchionne came out and said a lifestyle vehicle that will be intentionally expensive and 100k a year this was his vision. I haven't seen where the new management has come out and echoed what he said about pricing or numbers to be built. I'm excited that we have less then a week and we will know, the JL are selling great and Jeep knows they have something special with the Gladiator. I think it will be more than the JL but the more I think about it the more I believe they will not price the JT Sport out of reach from someone who would buy a JL Sport. He said 100k a year but they are a business and if they can sell 200k a year they will.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
You could be right, I personally will be ordering a JT (Gladiator) Rubicon soon after they are available to order. However something to think about is Marchionne came out and said a lifestyle vehicle that will be intentionally expensive and 100k a year this was his vision. I haven't seen where the new management has come out and echoed what he said about pricing or numbers to be built. I'm excited that we have less then a week and we will know, the JL are selling great and Jeep knows they have something special with the Gladiator. I think it will be more than the JL but the more I think about it the more I believe they will not price the JT Sport out of reach from someone who would buy a JL Sport. He said 100k a year but they are a business and if they can sell 200k a year they will.
I think if they wanted a intentionally expensive vehicle that only sold 100K a year there would be no sport trim. We know from the leak that there is in fact going to be a sport trim level.

I hope I can afford a Rubicon but if I can't I'll get a sport and build it the way I want it. I have a sport JK now that I enjoy very much.

KA350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I think if they wanted a intentionally expensive vehicle that only sold 100K a year there would be no sport trim. We know from the leak that there is in fact going to be a sport trim level.

I hope I can afford a Rubicon but if I can't I'll get a sport and build it the way I want it. I have a sport JK now that I enjoy very much.

I hope you’re right, I’m in the same boat as you pricewise. I bet it’s not going to be in the Raptor territory, price wise. There isn’t enough new to justify it compared the JL.

Sponsored

WranglerWillys

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 Willy's MB
Highly doubt that they would be able to sell more than 150-160k a year without super high sales and a very large capital investment in their plant again.

The cost is gonna keep people out.

But if the sales are there, then the sales are there, but they are having large issues for JL right now.

KA350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Highly doubt that they would be able to sell more than 150-160k a year without super high sales and a very large capital investment in their plant again.

The cost is gonna keep people out.

But if the sales are there, then the sales are there, but they are having large issues for JL right now.

It’s all speculation until next week!! Can’t wait

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
Will definitely be ordering a JT Rubicon once order banks open up. I’m coming from never owning a Wrangler and only a Cherokee/Grand Cherokee guy. Next year I already made the decision to buy a truck. Been eyeing the new Rams and was already convinced I’ll be spending $50K. So, if the Gladiator Rubicon hits around or below they, then I’m all in.

Told the wife I’ll be buying a Jeep truck immediately when it comes out. She said I’ll never see one produced but she would let me do it. That was back in 2006.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Will definitely be ordering a JT Rubicon once order banks open up. I’m coming from never owning a Wrangler and only a Cherokee/Grand Cherokee guy. Next year I already made the decision to buy a truck. Been eyeing the new Rams and was already convinced I’ll be spending $50K. So, if the Gladiator Rubicon hits around or below they, then I’m all in.

Told the wife I’ll be buying a Jeep truck immediately when it comes out. She said I’ll never see one produced but she would let me do it. That was back in 2006.
It's this or a Tacoma. If this is too much more expensive than a TRD Off-Road I'm getting the Toyota. Hell, just building a JL vs. a Taco online it seems like the Jeep is 8-10k more expensive.. :(

Sponsored

EASY2BE1

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler JK Sport, 2013 Shelby Mustang GT, 2011 Ford Ranger, 2009 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
The decision to build a Jeep pickup is landmark event that could bode well for many exciting vehicles from Jeep. Deciding to build the chassis to accommodate a longer wheel base needed for a truck is the key. Now comes the cabs,

Engineering cab variations at this point is easy and relatively inexpensive. Having followed this Jeep pickup topic for years the hard part engineering-wise was making the decision to convert the old section of the Toledo plant for manufacture of the pickup truck. They tried to develop a truck on the chassis of the Wrangler Unlimited and it just would not fit so it required billions of dollars of investment in a dedicated assembly line for a whole new and longer chassis. What made this all possible in my opinion was the popularity and increased sales volume of the Wrangler. They needed a new plant to accommodate the increased production volume for the Wrangler and they built the new assembly line at Toledo for the JL production. That opened up the old Wrangler JK assembly line for retooling for the pickup truck. That retooling started last March when the last JK rolled off the line and it will complete in January so the first pickups can arrive at dealers in April 2019.

So now that the longer chassis has been accommodated I personally feel we're going to see many variations of a Jeep pickup in the coming years - extended cabs, specialized utility beds - heck maybe even the Red Rock, Crew Chief and the FC! With the chassis now engineered fitting alternative bodies to the chassis is wide open.

images-q-tbn-and9gcqoeppmnr2w2ub0misq8iaybkpevzldcv7qazkefpjjnzcraimixg-jpg.jpg

cn016_020jpe3ilvm2ii7r1v4qfm5a02pssuu-jpg.jpg

jeep-wrangler-red-rock-responder-concept-for-moab-easter-jeep-safari-2015_100505082_l-jpg.jpg
I will be ordering one of these JT Gladiator Jeep Trucks as soon as my Dealer will let me. This is the dream of dreams I have been having ever since I owned a 1964 Jeep J300 Gladiator truck with the long wheel base. I bought it from a farmer in the California Central Valley. It was a Kaiser Jeep and was built like a steel brick. I beat the crap out of it, and it just kept going. I so wish I kept it. Way to go Jeep!!!!!!

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Remember the most costly part of Jeep’s decision is over - they funded a whole new assembly line and have committed to a longer chassis. To maximize profit they need to offer a wide range of cabs and configurations to make deep and broad market penetration. There’s more coming - this is not idealism but hard economic reality
Sponsored