First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Occupation
Furnace operator
I called my dealer today to schedule an appointment for them to do the clutch recall. They told me that the recall has been delayed because the fix Jeep had didn’t really work and they’re waiting for a new solution from Jeep.

Had anyone else experienced this?
All I know is one guy paid in full 4 a Rubicon and it arrived at the dealership right after the recall and they wouldn't release it. Bummer!!! That was 4 months ago though.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds like a “don’t want to do it” quote.
Depends on their hourly rate.
They usually don't mind doing a given thing - they know how long it would take and likely would make more than if it was a warranty job where they are told what to charge and what they'll get.

$1,500/$190 = ~7.8 so they are suggesting it would take about 8 hours. Likely less because there's other charges in there as well so they could be quoting 7.5 hours labor and the rest is shop supplies and so on.
People don't realize what shop rates are in some locations these days.
Given a choice of doing a clutch job for a number they specify or finding some obscure warranty issue where they spend 2 hours diagnosing and finding what Jeep will pay them 30 minutes to fix - which would you do?

Zuni

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Occupation
Furnace operator
Call me weird, but even with all the recalls, senseless gear ratios (the ones between gears), subpar tow rating, et cetera, I'd still buy another 6-speed. Most of these are easy to get used to. My JTR has almost 50,000 miles (stock tires and suspension) and I have yet to trip the "hot clutch" mode. That's with reversing a few trailers uphill and lots of wheeling and rock crawling. I'm not saying Jeep shouldn't have done a better job with R&D, but the knowledge of how to properly drive a vehicle with a manual transmission (when to shift up and down, neutral at stoplights, keeping your left foot from "resting" on the clutch while in gear, and especially, avoiding riding the clutch) is essential to living with my Jeep. JMO.
I hear ya! I just brought a 23 JLR. (Sorry not a gladiator, if they had come out with a 2 door I'd have that instead.) Only change I made when the recall came out is to stop using 2nd gear to start off on level ground, takes a little slippage. Once locked it won't overheat it's the slippage u want to watch. Sucks 4 people behind me. I have to shift at 15 mph to 2nd and they try to run up my tailpipe. Only a few people realize it's a stick shift. I have a bumper sticker that says 'I have a stick shift. Please allow for hesitations. And still u can see I piss them off. I love it!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hesitations when shifting? I guess I must speed shift in my little car or something as I don't really slow a lot. It's not like an automatic, but then it's not where people would really notice it, either.

rj74

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon
Occupation
Body Shop Manager
It was never recalled, they have never had a permanent solution. They know its in the clutch and flywheel but they arent going to want to reaplce both on 69k plus vehickes.

Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya! I just brought a 23 JLR. (Sorry not a gladiator, if they had come out with a 2 door I'd have that instead.) Only change I made when the recall came out is to stop using 2nd gear to start off on level ground, takes a little slippage. Once locked it won't overheat it's the slippage u want to watch. Sucks 4 people behind me. I have to shift at 15 mph to 2nd and they try to run up my tailpipe. Only a few people realize it's a stick shift. I have a bumper sticker that says 'I have a stick shift. Please allow for hesitations. And still u can see I piss them off. I love it!
I have an old school-looking 6 speed decal on my tailgate just for that reason.

20220202_083830.jpg

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Here is mine. I also have the license plate frame on the rear.

"The Manual Gearbox Preservation Society"

Jeep Gladiator The clutch recall was recalled? eQK3yY

Zuni

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Occupation
Furnace operator

Jeep Gladiator The clutch recall was recalled? eQK3yY
Nice Glad! Where did you get the sticker? I take it ur a fireman. Thank you for your service! My father was wounded in France, I'm ex 82nd airborne and my son is in the Rome NY PD. This is a little belated but I send it to friends and family every memorial day!
Jeep Gladiator The clutch recall was recalled? fla

Happy Memorial Day! Please take a moment to remember and honor our fallen heroes. Both military and first responders!
Without which we wouldn't be the free and healthy country we are today!

IMG_20230514_151405.jpg

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave JT; 1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited
Depends on their hourly rate.
They usually don't mind doing a given thing - they know how long it would take and likely would make more than if it was a warranty job where they are told what to charge and what they'll get.

$1,500/$190 = ~7.8 so they are suggesting it would take about 8 hours. Likely less because there's other charges in there as well so they could be quoting 7.5 hours labor and the rest is shop supplies and so on.
People don't realize what shop rates are in some locations these days.
Given a choice of doing a clutch job for a number they specify or finding some obscure warranty issue where they spend 2 hours diagnosing and finding what Jeep will pay them 30 minutes to fix - which would you do?
My dealer charged me 7.9 hours of labor to install the ACT clutch. Came out to ~$1800 in labor (including tax and shop supplies) plus $1200 for the clutch. While I am still fighting with FCA (I was told by the recall center that I would be fully reimbursed for non-OEM parts and labor, as long as the repair was done at a certified Jeep dealer; then after I shelled out the $3k, they tell me they are only reimbursing for OEM parts), I couldn’t be happier with the ACT clutch. @ACTman has provided lots of great info on other threads here and on YouTube, and after about 1500 miles, I can say that their product is a huge improvement over the stock clutch. Definitely check out his JL/JT playlist on YouTube. For me, it’s still worth it to have the peace of mind that I won’t burst into flames or have shrapnel come through the cab floor; very unfortunate that Jeep is giving us the runaround and not taking accountability for their poor design or what they are telling customers before they have work done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer charged me 7.9 hours of labor to install the ACT clutch. Came out to ~$1800 in labor (including tax and shop supplies) plus $1200 for the clutch. While I am still fighting with FCA (I was told by the recall center that I would be fully reimbursed for non-OEM parts and labor, as long as the repair was done at a certified Jeep dealer; then after I shelled out the $3k, they tell me they are only reimbursing for OEM parts), I couldn’t be happier with the ACT clutch. @ACTman has provided lots of great info on other threads here and on YouTube, and after about 1500 miles, I can say that their product is a huge improvement over the stock clutch. Definitely check out his JL/JT playlist on YouTube. For me, it’s still worth it to have the peace of mind that I won’t burst into flames or have shrapnel come through the cab floor; very unfortunate that Jeep is giving us the runaround and not taking accountability for their poor design or what they are telling customers before they have work done.
Good luck (honestly) on your fight with FCA. Why would anyone replace an admittedly faulty clutch setup with the same faulty clutch setup when there are known solutions. Their logic is rather goofy, IMO.
I saw the ACT bit on the clutches, and they made sense (at least to this old-school guy who has replaced clutches in everything from Ramblers to F250s to 1930's Farmall tractors - now there's some fun).
My JT is an automatic, but if it WAS a stick, it would be a really cold day in that place before I'd go back with another Jeep clutch in it - and even if they came out with a solution this fall, I'd want to SEE it, touch it, see proof it's a fix before I'd consider it, Even then, I'd likely go to a proven product.
Thankfully, the clutch in my car is simple, basic, and holds just fine (man, it's a SOB pulling that thing apart, I'd probably drop the whole drive train out the bottom like I did the first time)

Anyway, good luck, and can't help but agree with your peace of mind comment. Heck yeah - we've seen the destruction the Jeep clutches have dealt out - busted transmissions, and burned-to-the-ground Jeeps.

Sponsored

koldfront_xj

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave JT; 1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited
Good luck (honestly) on your fight with FCA. Why would anyone replace an admittedly faulty clutch setup with the same faulty clutch setup when there are known solutions. Their logic is rather goofy, IMO.
I saw the ACT bit on the clutches, and they made sense (at least to this old-school guy who has replaced clutches in everything from Ramblers to F250s to 1930's Farmall tractors - now there's some fun).
My JT is an automatic, but if it WAS a stick, it would be a really cold day in that place before I'd go back with another Jeep clutch in it - and even if they came out with a solution this fall, I'd want to SEE it, touch it, see proof it's a fix before I'd consider it, Even then, I'd likely go to a proven product.
Thankfully, the clutch in my car is simple, basic, and holds just fine (man, it's a SOB pulling that thing apart, I'd probably drop the whole drive train out the bottom like I did the first time)

Anyway, good luck, and can't help but agree with your peace of mind comment. Heck yeah - we've seen the destruction the Jeep clutches have dealt out - busted transmissions, and burned-to-the-ground Jeeps.
Much appreciated! Seems like I’m fighting an uphill battle, but either way it’s unfortunate that Jeep can’t give us 6MT owners a straight answer. Their logic is quite goofy, and in fact, contradictory.

I was also told by the same rep at the FCA recall center that parts and/or a fix wouldn’t be available until September 5th. But then again, he’s also the one who told me I’d be reimbursed…

Glad you approve of ACT’s products; thank you for sharing your expertise! I felt this was the best solution (no need to replace hydraulics like the CF kit), as I would also be hesitant to replace it with whatever Jeep comes out with.

Stay safe out there everyone!

hawkijon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Clear JTR/'15 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ '78 Jeep CJ-5/'69 Chevelle
If you’re one of the many thousands of manual JL/JT’s and your experiencing issues with the factory clutch, and/or you're looking for peace of mind over the factory clutch, this new clutch from ACT with their Pro-Mass flywheel is incredible!! I love it!! Here’s my 5000 mile evaluation. https://youtu.be/Kg8Ie6fJSFQ

IMG_5972.jpeg

flycast209

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave,2023 Punk'N Metallic Mojav
Occupation
Business owner
What does everyone think Stellantis will do? I'm holding out on an aftermarket clutch until I see their plans, but I'm genuinely curious how this will be resolved, and when. Is it even plausible that they will replace the clutch with a stouter unit?
My new ordered 2023 Mojave showed up yesterday. My son says it feels like a clutch should. My foot is in a cast so I can't drive it, but I trust his opinion. He drives a 2021, and says it is a dramatic difference with the new factory clutch.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just happy to see that Jeep is delivering new 6-speed JTs again. Maybe this means they'll finally have a permanent fix for my 2020.

Zuni

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Occupation
Furnace operator
Maybe instead of half-assing a recall to fix a half-ass design, just give me a couple grand towards installing a properly designed clutch that already exists (of course I sign away liability from FCA for any future clutch-related failure), and we're all done with it.
Maybe instead of half-assing a recall to fix a half-ass design, just give me a couple grand towards installing a properly designed clutch that already exists (of course I sign away liability from FCA for any future clutch-related failure), and we're all done with it.
I've been saying that since the original recall. Got my 23 JLR about 2 weeks before they stopped releasing them late 22. It was my understanding that it happened mainly in high temperature environments with a lot of clutch slipping. Like intense rock climbing or dune running. I stopped starting off in 2nd gear even with my 4.10 axles at the time! Pisses people off behind me when I pause to shift to 2nd at 10mph.
Sponsored