First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
My second car, taken 1977. Manual steering, manual drum brakes, manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks, manual seats - vents were opened and closed by your feet using slides on the kick panels.

68jav-1977.jpg
My first
Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. 3D428580-058B-49EA-8E13-E43DB255B8FE

manual everything.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My first
Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. 3D428580-058B-49EA-8E13-E43DB255B8FE

manual everything.
That car wears the color well. Some don't, that one does it very well.

My first - manual everything but for a 64 it was loaded - reclining bucket seats, carpet, AM radio, all manual stuff, really deep limited slip rear, 3 speed I converted to floor shift with a Hurst inline shifter, V8 I put a different intake and 4bbl Holley carb on.
Killer in the 1/8 mile but topped out shortly after that.
Looks like I was headed to work at the shop from that pic. I sold it with almost 200,000 miles on it about a year after buying the Javelin in the other pic. I had 2 cars and a truck at the time. That truck was very basic, vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat, 4 speed with granny low. After the winter with salt and sand you opened both doors and hosed it out and left the doors open to let it dry.

Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. 1642865682063

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
That car wears the color well. Some don't, that one does it very well.

My first - manual everything but for a 64 it was loaded - reclining bucket seats, carpet, AM radio, all manual stuff, really deep limited slip rear, 3 speed I converted to floor shift with a Hurst inline shifter, V8 I put a different intake and 4bbl Holley carb on.
Killer in the 1/8 mile but topped out shortly after that.
Looks like I was headed to work at the shop from that pic. I sold it with almost 200,000 miles on it about a year after buying the Javelin in the other pic. I had 2 cars and a truck at the time. That truck was very basic, vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat, 4 speed with granny low. After the winter with salt and sand you opened both doors and hosed it out and left the doors open to let it dry.

Love it!

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
More than that between the stock Overland and max tow. Wish I could find the picture.......

Look how much taller the stock Overland springs are than the Rubicon rear springs wrapped in plastic - more than 1/2" for sure longer and the max tow were a bit shorter than the Rubicon springs.

Just did a measure up with another member black springs are max tow silver are Mojave
Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. EE741DEC-2EB1-4A11-B9C2-79B008792771
Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. E1834B27-4EE2-4EB5-BC5C-7A665C454896

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting....... how can the "software" Mojave springs be the same length as the max tow rears. Odd.
My Overland springs were absolutely longer, I really wish I had measured them while they were side-by-side on the floor.
I had to shove the rear axle down hard to get my Overland springs out while the max tow springs went in with more than an inch to spare while putting them in. Didn't have to move the axle at all, they went right in (and of course wanted to fall right back out, too)
That's why I almost didn't finish putting them in as I was concerned the rear of my truck would drop that much! But it didn't as the max tow springs barely compressed with the weight of the truck.
I need to climb up into my high shelves and grab the box with Overland springs and unpack and measure them.

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Development
Interesting....... how can the "software" Mojave springs be the same length as the max tow rears. Odd.
My Overland springs were absolutely longer, I really wish I had measured them while they were side-by-side on the floor.
I had to shove the rear axle down hard to get my Overland springs out while the max tow springs went in with more than an inch to spare while putting them in. Didn't have to move the axle at all, they went right in (and of course wanted to fall right back out, too)
That's why I almost didn't finish putting them in as I was concerned the rear of my truck would drop that much! But it didn't as the max tow springs barely compressed with the weight of the truck.
I need to climb up into my high shelves and grab the box with Overland springs and unpack and measure them.
would be curious to see the difference. I bought spacers to go with the max tow springs for my mojave but now that white rabit and I had a measuring contest, I’m seeing its likely not needed

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I changed my mind. The box of springs didn't take a lot to get to, climbed up and got it down, opened box, grabbed an original Overland rear spring that I took out to put max tow springs in.
You guys are at ~18" for max tow and Mojave. I said the max tow were a lot shorter than stock Overland springs - in part because I laid them side-by-side and saw the difference (which bothered me for a while ) and because the Overland springs has to be forced out of place, almost had to compress them because I was stretching the brake line as it was getting them out - but the max tow slipped right in with room to spare.
Now I know how much room - about 1.5" (1 1/2") to be sure if you are at 18 as I'm at 19.5"

By the way, I used a Starrett tape measure for accuracy......

Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. IMG_20220123_142913
Jeep Gladiator The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. IMG_20220123_142904

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Development
OK, I changed my mind. The box of springs didn't take a lot to get to, climbed up and got it down, opened box, grabbed an original Overland rear spring that I took out to put max tow springs in.
You guys are at ~18" for max tow and Mojave. I said the max tow were a lot shorter than stock Overland springs - in part because I laid them side-by-side and saw the difference (which bothered me for a while ) and because the Overland springs has to be forced out of place, almost had to compress them because I was stretching the brake line as it was getting them out - but the max tow slipped right in with room to spare.
Now I know how much room - about 1.5" (1 1/2") to be sure if you are at 18 as I'm at 19.5"

By the way, I used a Starrett tape measure for accuracy......

Wow so the overland springs are about an inch and a half longer than both max tow and Mojave springs.

I think given my preference for a rear rake, I’ll still add a 3/4” spacer to my max tow springs when they go on next week

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow so the overland springs are about an inch and a half longer than both max tow and Mojave springs.

I think given my preference for a rear rake, I’ll still add a 3/4” spacer to my max tow springs when they go on next week
I put in Daystar .75" (3/4) spacers when I did the rear because I do use it as a truck (novel idea, Jeep making a truck, pure genius) - I wanted to have some rake so it wasn't doing some funky new kind of squat in the rear. Glad I did as it sits about level when towing and hauling "stuff",

Trust me - when you guys were saying max tow and Mojave rear springs were the same free-length length I was thinking no way, can't be! Overland is longer, how can Mojave not be longer free-length?
But there it is.........
I knew that the Overland was longer uncompressed than max tow but I was thinking Mojave had to be as long as Overland rears to give it a nice ride and plenty of room to jounce when flying over sand dunes at 88 mph.
A stock Overland has a fantastic luxury-car-like ride, glides over RR tracks. You could take my truck stock over the roughest tracks, hardly feel them at all. You could take a rough road with a full bladder and not be looking for the next outhouse ASAP.
I changed that with the spring swap, ride isn't nearly as nice at all any more, but still not bad for a truck.

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate Development
I put in Daystar .75" (3/4) spacers when I did the rear because I do use it as a truck (novel idea, Jeep making a truck, pure genius) - I wanted to have some rake so it wasn't doing some funky new kind of squat in the rear. Glad I did as it sits about level when towing and hauling "stuff",

Trust me - when you guys were saying max tow and Mojave rear springs were the same free-length length I was thinking no way, can't be! Overland is longer, how can Mojave not be longer free-length?
But there it is.........
I knew that the Overland was longer uncompressed than max tow but I was thinking Mojave had to be as long as Overland rears to give it a nice ride and plenty of room to jounce when flying over sand dunes at 88 mph.
A stock Overland has a fantastic luxury-car-like ride, glides over RR tracks. You could take my truck stock over the roughest tracks, hardly feel them at all. You could take a rough road with a full bladder and not be looking for the next outhouse ASAP.
I changed that with the spring swap, ride isn't nearly as nice at all any more, but still not bad for a truck.
I was surprised that mojave and max tow are the same. I had the same assumption as you.
Glad to hear the daystar spacers and max tow sits well. The exact setup I have going on, should keep everything level with the way I have it

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Bad:
1. Climate controls.
Fan has 7 settings so we put in on a knob that doesn't even have positive detents, but the temp control which has 25 settings goes on a toggle switch.
Temp Sync is only on touchscreen display. Not convenient.

2. Alpine radio upgrade. The standard radio must be really bad if this is an upgrade.

The Ugly:
The Uconnect and its virus companion Android Auto.
90% redundant or worthless dooky.
I can add and delete XM stations going 85 down the turnpike but can't input... Not even through voice command... The directions to my next stop.
There's pressure switches that tell the airbag system if a passenger's seated, but that can't be used so that the passenger can make inputs on the nav system.
Sponsored